Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods It's going to polish up nice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Jan 20, 2011.

1. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

[​IMG]
    I did a small area to see what the paint will look like once I get to clean it up and this is what it looks like. Decent for a paint job from the 80's. Now the question is I have like 3 spots of bubbled paint in a small spot, should I sand them and spot prime them red until I get to tear it down for paint or just leave them?

2. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Any opinions?

3. Looks clean! Like it was taken care of since the 80's.

4. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

Do you have pics of the bad spots? I would just leave them unless you are going to repaint soon.

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Leave them.
    They may get worse if you sand them and prime them.
    Primer cam absorb moisture!
    Nice Car!!!

6. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Are the bubbles close together?If they are could you just repair that area and blend the paint.May not get a perfect match but i bet it would be close.

7. rodman41

rodman41
    from colorado

PATINA-PINTA-PINTA isnt this the home of the pitina

8. Gator

Gator

Those 3 bubbled spots could be a hole big enough to stick your hand through once you get into it - I'd wait till you're ready to do a proper repair.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd buff it out and let sleeping dogs lie until you are ready for a big project.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

which would look best.... buffed old paint with primer spots or buffed old paint with bubbles?

I bought a 1965 truck with original red paint that buffed up pretty good. some boner in the past sanded the shit out of 3 or 4 areas and put primer on it. must have been bubbles or scratches or something, but I can't imagine it looked worse than the primer spots.

11. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the spots I'm talking about. I have no idea when I will get to redo it, I just don't want it to all rust out.

12. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

Leave them alone. Like many have said, If you dig into those spots you will open up a can of worms that you did not want.

13. A good painter can spot it, blend it, and get real close. I'd ask around in your area. As long as your not looking for perfection it can be done.

14. For as bubbly as it looks in your photos, I'm thinkin' you may have a bondo ranch underneath that paint. You start pickin' at it, and you may open up a big gaping wound... Proceed with caution: this is how some people's frame off restorations start before they meant to.

15. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Yea I think I will just leave it. I know it has some bondo but at least it's solid underneath.