Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t pearl harbor pictures.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big creep, Jan 20, 2011.

1. big creep

big creep

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I give my regards to the Arizona crew every time I drive over to Ford Island.

3. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Thanks for posting.

4. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

5. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Awesome pictures. My thanks to everyone that served during that horrible time, from one Vet to another, Thank You.

6. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Great pics, thanks

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Im not even half done with the pics, but I had to come back to thank you. Thanks

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, great pics!!
    Humbling.

Doc.

9. Big Creep: Thanks for posting. I was stationed with the USN at CINCPACFLT which is just up the hill from the Arizona Memorial. I went by there everyday. I will never forget the death and devastation suffered by the U.S. on that fateful day, 7 Dec 1941, as I will never forget the death and destruction of 11 Sep 2001. Many thanks to all who have served and to all who are currently serving, and especially to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice, so that we can be free to follow our dreams and desires.

10. Excellent pics , there is quite a few I have never seen before .. God bless our troops past present and future..

11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Great collection of pictures---thanks for posting. My Dad fought in the islands during WWll -- never talked much about it. Looking at these, I can kinda see why.

12. Ebert

Ebert

My wife and I had the opportunity to visit this past December. Obviously, it was quite moving and God Bless all who have served our country. The shot with the black spots of oil is of exactly that...oil still leaks from the Arizona and I believe they call them "tears of sorrow."

Attached Files:

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

14. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Thanks for posting the link.

15. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

My dad was in the Army Air Corp in WW2. He will be 92 in February. The Greatest generation for sure

16. big bad john

big bad john

.........Thanks for the thread.........We will never forget.....these men and women gave their all....

17. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Thanks for the post, it's also a great site and is now in my "Favorites"

18. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Big C, thanks for sharing. Three of my uncles went from Africa up through Italy and up into Austria and Germany! One really never recovered and died from alcoholism caused by the horrors he had seen and could never forget. The other two are gone now. I think of them often and thank my lucky stars that there were men like my uncles who did what they had to do during unbelievably gut-wrenching times.

19. CalGasser

CalGasser

Holy cow Big C, you have a whole history lesson in black and white! :eek: Amazing and impressive pictures - very humbling!

I worked at Pearl Harbor Shipyard from '65 - '81 and have a lot of fond memories. I've heard lots of stories and been to many historic sites there. One story I'll never forget is from an old Rigger that worked there that Sunday morning... he was in dry dock 1 or 2 and heard all the commotion. He looked up and saw the planes and went running up and out of the dry dock and hid under a flatbed trailer. He remembers seeing a Zero that was shot and going down and saw the pilot throw open his canopy and began shooting at people below with a machine gun..:eek: and crashed at Hospital Point near dry dock 4. It must've been pure chaos that morning! :mad:

Thanks for the pix,
    Vic

20. cyclesounds

cyclesounds

What an awesome collection of photos. I was stationed at Pearl Harbor and lived on Ford Island while our ship was in dry dock. I remember going to the hangers and seeing the bullet holes. I plan on taking the wife there for the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  21. big creep

big creep

you better go quick. they are building homes for the navy there soon, if not already!! i was told this in 05 so i dont know how it sit now. i was told they even planed on taking the tower down, since i havent been there in 6 years i dont know if its true. can anyone please fill us in if this has happened yet???

22. AllenK

AllenK

Never forget!! My grandma's little brother died on Saipan in WWII,and I think he was all of 19 years old. He never even made it to the beach. Mammaw has his Purple Heart and Flag in her living room,and it's very moving to hear her talk about them getting the news of his death.

My great-uncle could've stayed on the farm,but he chose to serve his country. RIP J.F. Clark!

23. Those guys really were the "Greatest Generation". My uncle did not make it back from Europe but my dad made it back from the Pacific. It wasn't until late in his life he could even speak of the war. I really miss him now.

24. beauishere

beauishere

25. 94hoghead

94hoghead

When I was in high school I used to paint house for a guy that was at Pearl Harbor during the attack. It was pretty awesome to hear him tell about running tree to tree while the Japanese planes were trying to shoot them....He was in town and had to make a run for the Harbor when the attack started.

26. 66JameStang

66JameStang

It makes me very thankful for the men and women that serve, I can't imagine having been there under that carnage shown in those pictures. It is a great reminder of the strength of America through trial and tribulation. I am thankful.

27. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

[​IMG]It amazes me everytime I see a show, look at photos or read a story about the many areas of fighting during WWII and the shear number of men involved...those that served and survived...and those that did not. It's truly mind boggling to me, seeing the make shift graves on Iwo Jima...sobering to say the least.

This photo amazed me...imagine trying to fly through that?

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The tower has been designated a historic landmark and is slated for renovation. They have built Navy housing out there, but some of the old hangers still exist. The runway is overgrown but still pretty much there. You can still see the patches in the apron from the shells & bullets.The USS Utah is still there. I was out there few years ago when they dredged up the mast of the USS Oklahoma I believe it was. Pretty awesome and sobering at the same time. Being a former sailor Pearl Harbor always strikes me as special, and I often wonder what it was like back then when I'm on the base. Drydock 4, the old battleship drydock is HUGE. They can put two regular ships in it with room to spare.

29. big creep

big creep

wow! thanks for the info! i cant wait to go back!!! i love love love! Hawaii!!!!

30. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

My Grandpa served on the the USS Hornet during the war. Never talked about it. Showed me his footlocker a few times and let me look at a few pics he still had. He would tell me "Don't tell anyone I still have this stuff."
    I miss talking to him.
    RIP