Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Altered Wheelbase Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2009.

1. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Hee Haw Hemi,Super Picker was his Super Stock sedan.

2. Have seen your car and it is "awesome"

3. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

Great photos,the McKesson car is a clone,but the original is a survivor and restored.Met the man that had found the McKesson brothers A/FX and brought his scrap book back to show me the restoration.I have a DVD with footage of car,was a real contendor back in the day.

4. storm king

storm king

Right you are, Funnycar, and I should have noted that as I used to work on them! Roy's airport and hanger where he kept his stuff was 2 miles from my house, and I worked with his pilot mechanic on those cars...

5. GASSERGUY

GASSERGUY

I remember when the altered wheelbase cars hit Beeline. I knew it was a tipping point for drag racing. We'd passed from the Gasser Era to what would VERY soon become the era of Funny Cars. It happened so quickly. I was running a speed shop and writing a column on drag racing in Arizona. Before I knew it a new world had opened up. AND, we jumped on the bandwagon with our BBV King Camaro F/C.

Ernest, editor
    GASSER Magazine

6. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Great thread!

7. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

wASNT THAT A ARIES 3 VALVE MOTOR IN THE KING CAMARO ?

8. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

75,000 thats just weak!I was hoping I was wrong and it went for big money,but really?

9. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I don't know if this car has been shown yet (haven't made it all the way through the thread), but this is HAMBer Model A John's ride. I didn't take this picture, but I sure like the car![​IMG]

10. all the nice old race cars went for alot less then i thought they should i thought the awb would of brought 175,000 also atleast

11. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

I saw that car do and thought maybe $160,000 to $170,000 man was I off.

12. joebuick

joebuick

I've got a 66 rambler that's been on the backburner for a few years now but I always wanted to make an awb car out of it. Thanks for the inspiration.

13. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Dirty John, thanks for posting this pic of my car. Wasn't expecting to see this. Over the winter I'm setting up a hilborn injecter system. There'll be ram tubes up thru the hood this coming year. No more hood scoop!

14. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

B-J is not the place to sell historic drag cars I think.

15. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

for a documented AWB car of that era,that was a STEAL!Got tired of Speed crew constantly saying record crowds.Not a big BJ fan

16. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Your welcome! That thing's killer! Can't wait to see the Hilborn setup!

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

mine---[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

joebuick, check out my 66 rambler altered wheelbase on post #60 page 3, the chassis was built by the rich lefevbere of altered wheelbase fame and I have done the interior and will start the motor change soon. Should I go sbc or amc

19. amc!!!

20. joebuick

joebuick

yeah I saw that one, it looks good. Mine is a rebel. But keep me posted on which way you go with the engine. I was thinking a 283 sbc for mine just because of the availability of parts but the amc would be cool to.

21. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

AMC!!!!!!!

Marty

22. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

It was neat to see the Chuck Ostrich AWB car go through last night and I expected it to go for more than it did also. If it would have been one of the more famous 12-13 'Factory-built' cars, I'm sure it would have sold for a lot more! I've always been a huge fan of the AWB-era, regardless of make, but when I noticed that the car had newer, store-bought cast Aluminum American 5-Spokes, I actually threw up in my mouth a lil' bit! That's absolutely inexcusable! A car like that, especially with real history, really needs to have the correct Magnesium Americans on it.

23. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I agree hell you can even buy them new again.

24. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

I have both engines already, a 360 that went 13.06 in my wagoneer, the 401 in my jeep that has gone 11.71, which should run in the 10s in the altered, and a 400 sbc with mini blower that should go in the low 11s, and a 350 that goes 12.3s in a camaro I have. But so far the amc wins and silouetes57 would not like it cause I mixed brands. I can make the mini blower fit the amc ? and that would be cool, with the amc I have a 904 and ford 8" rear out of my roundy-round 74 hornet that I could use, and I also like the garlits fake stacked injector setup to give it that look. what do you guys think.

25. noboD

noboD

Amen to the new Americans. It made the car look fake.

26. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

my 2 cents,Wild Willie raced an altered (these are altered wheelbases)and the Garlits fake injectors are super gay and have the wrong look for the era.The staggered stacks are modeled after the 70's era Crower BB Chevy injection I believe.

27. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

That "fake injector" set-up belongs in the same category as guys that stuff a pair of socks in the front of their pants before going out to the disco.

28. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

LOL, thats funny ok boss no fake injector stuff, either the real thing or nuthin.

29. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

but really if you did'nt know it was fake you'd think it was cool, because a real one IS cool.

30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Don't even bother to cut a hole in your hood if its not the real deal.