Register now to get rid of these ads!

who is the best out there for chopping my shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cab5150, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Im pretty sure this is Ian's assistant...
    [​IMG]

2. big creep

big creep

man chipping away at it, just a little at every time. we all know how slow the economy has been, and im just getting by, by the skin of my teeth! but i am working on it. ill post pictures soon, ill have it running this year for sure!!! (i said that last year) i feel like im never going to get it on the road sometimes:(
    soon though, soon!

3. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Omar BTW!!!

I sure can't wait to see it cruise down the road!!!!
    It's gonna be pretty!!!!:)

I personally like a heavy chop, with a lot of flow on the 49-51 ford, but that's just me!!!!:)

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

5. big creep

big creep

anytime homie! you home today? maybe ill stop by after work?

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Gotta go to work now!!! :(

Next week im off, jeff myers will be here all week , stop by!!!!!

7. big creep

big creep

copy that!!! i didnt know you were driving again! cool! ill stop by for sure! and work is a good thing:) money baby! money!

8. chillywilly

chillywilly

I think you will be more than happy with a chop by Brandon Winters. Immensely talented guy, can chop in various styles (and there are a lot of them), and he is working at Circle City Hot Rods in Orange now. He is a good friend and is doing my shoebox up right now in my garage with me. I have some pics of progress in my album. Rains then the GNRS is slowing things down but it's really coming out nice. You are more than welcome to come by my house and have a look.. we could even work out a garage special if you are interested. I know Jimmy at Circle City would do you right too.

9. HRod 50

HRod 50

HEy Man from looking at your posts, looks lik you are new to the game.. I could be wrong, but get ready when you start the work on that car. Say goodbye to it for at least 8 to 12 months, depending on what you want to do to it.. If you think it starts and ends with a chop, oooohhhhhh boy. You have a huge lesson you are about to learn.. Good Luck..

Anyway,
    King Kustoms of Temecula is very good too.....

Whoever you go with, don't cheap out, and from your thread it sounds like you aren't going that way. Get the chop done right, its going to be the foundation of your Kustom... Be ready, I see a very long list of work to be done ahead of you. The chop is just the start of it......

10. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I'm not sure who the "BEST" is but you cant go wrong with one of Bill Hines chops.

11. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

Hey if you live in S Cal it shoud be a no brainer. Take it to Rick Erickson of EXK. He's been cutting tops for decades and has a reputation of the best flowing chops out there IMOP. He does high quailty work at what I now know is more than a fair price. I am a big fan of Rick as you can tell and have been wanting a chop by him for awhile. I am on a very tight buddget so I have been shopped around (sorry Rick) After shopping around I will keep on saving up my money and have Rick cut mine. Hopefully very soon. His new shop phone number is 951 678-3520

12. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Friday I'll be in San Diego for my cousins graduation from the Marines and Saturday, I'll be in Huntington with ScooterMcRads future misses at her bridal gown fitting.

My reward for playing bodyguard against the crazy Russian dressmaker is ice cream...sooooo ;)

And I just totally hijacked! Whoops!
    Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

13. jasone

jasone

So Cal is busting at the seams with talented folks up to the task,
    Hines
    Masterson
    Berky
    Erickson
    Winters
    Lords of Kustoms

...you get the idea.

14. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

It all depends on how nice of Job you are looking for do you want over lab sheet metal? or do you want butt welded seams?, lead or just metal? We tig weld most of our stuff and hammer the seams, most guys mig weld every thing, so you cant finsh off the weld (too hard) so there are lots of ways to finish the work, also you must have the flow of the roof right push it out side and stand back and look at the roof line. one more thing most of the time you will have to make panels around the rear window too so there some metal work there too. How nice do you want it? Spam spam Kilgers' kustom metal 909-888-9045

15. cab5150

cab5150
    BANNED
    from socal

thanks ian, i just saw your response. no problem waiting, send me some info on pm.
    number location, i woul dlove to meet up with you. thanks again brother

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's at work. Give him a minute.

17. I employed BOTH Ian Berky and Norm Taylor (chopped50ford) to work on my 52 coupe. i would recommend EITHER of them in a HEARTBEAT!

18. no55mad

no55mad

Look up Paul Cepeda in Nipomo, Ca (central coast) - his 59 El Camino can be seen here. He told me he would rough in a chop for a grand.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  19. Keith "Kid" Dean - Dick Dean's son. Learned from the man who chopped more cars (especially Merc's) than ANYONE! Wouldn't hesitate for a second, a real master
    he's on here KEITH DEAN

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Check with Robert Radcliffe (shoebox1950) here on the hamb. He has chopped a few shoeboxes. Due to the experience his own build is turning out really nice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can check out his myspace profile for more photos: http://www.myspace.com/kingkustomstemecula

21. big creep

big creep

ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!! but if you ever do make it here, do not go with out calling me first! soooooo bad but ohhhhh so good!!!!!!!:p
    http://www.fairoakspharmacy.net/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  22. rbroadster

rbroadster

I'd also say to check out Brad at Masterson Kustoms. He's in Lynnwood at Barris' old shop. Does good work if you like old school style with lead finish work.

He's also a member here on the HAMB.

- RBR

23. lorodz

lorodz

24. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Hey thanks, guys! Yeah, I'm definitely interested in doing a chop...PM me or give me a call and we can talk about what you want to do...

25. Ian....... Worth the wait!

26. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Rob here's work is no friggin joke, and he's a darn nice guy to boot. Anything he does turns out awesome.

27. robleticia

robleticia

Ian Berky, nuff said!

28. ecrinc

ecrinc
    from delaware

I vote for Jason Gallo at east coast retorations In delaware!

29. shainerman

shainerman

Ian Berky for sure. If not, I would vote Jesse at Lords of Kustomz just cause I think hes a cool dude and seems to chop 50 Mercs a week, haha. IMHO I think Ian is going the hardest of anyone out there.

30. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Erickson did my Wife's box.....ah car.

Attached Files: