Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 64 Comet build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan859, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Dan859

Dan859

Hi Everyone,
    I've posted some questions and pictures previously, but what I'd like to do is to keep a running thread on this build. I've always liked the early Comets and Cyclones, so I've been keeping an eye out for one for a long time. What I've wanted to do is something in the style of the 64 A/FX Comets, but not necessarily a clone. When I got the chance to get this 64 Comet, I jumped on it.
    The biggest problem for me is that I'm currently overseas. I knew I would have to farm the entire job out, instead of just those parts of the build I couldn't do myself. This made it really important that I find someone who I could trust and would work with me to make it turn out the way I wanted.
    At this point, I want to say that the information and advice I've gotten here at the HAMB has been just great!! After checking a number of different shops, I decided to have the car shipped to a HAMBer, Mark Artis at Texas Outsiders, to have the work done. Let me say that Mark's been great right from the start! He's great to work with, he listens to me, and he tells me what he thinks instead of telling me what he thinks I want to hear. I'm very pleased with both the job he's doing and his communication with me. He answers my emails and questions quickly, and always discusses options with me so that we're both on the same page. If anybody ever needs work done, I recommend him without question.
    Now, on to the build :).
    It's a 64 Comet Caliente, started out as a 6 cylinder automatic. Here's the car as it arrived at the shop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. Dan859

Dan859

The engine, transmission, and rear end are going to have to go! After a fair bit of discussion, we settled on a Genesis 427 iron block and a stroker crank, to end up at 480 CID. With Dove hi-riser heads, a roller cam, and dual quads, Mark figures it'll be about 600 HP. That's enough for me! I wanted a MII front end, both for improved handling and to make room for the engine, so the front end and shock towers have to come out as well.

Attached Files:

3. Dan859

Dan859

Here's the new front end going in.

Attached Files:

4. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

good luck on the comet, looks like its going to be a great build.

george

5. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Looks like you had a great foundation to start with.
    Keep up the good work.

6. This is a great build, 'looking forward to seeing the final result. I'm sure it'll be a stunner. At Allentown, Pa swap meet over this past weekend there was a Comet on display. I thought "what a cool car" until I looked closely; the firewall was hacked up to make way for a BB Chevy, looked like it had MII suspension. The body looked stock except for a cut-out in the hood and it had hideous ghetto wheels on it. Instead of putting in a BB Ford, this thing has a BB Chevy with absolutely no cool factor and ruined what could have been a great car.

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow, that will be a real screamer.....
    I like your comment about "600 hp is enought for me"...:eek:
    Good luck on finishing it, and keep the pics coming...

8. Dan859

Dan859

George, thanks! I think it'll turn out really great! The car in your avatar looks great as well!

Steve13, I was really lucky to find a car in such good condition. There was just one small soft spot in the floor, like there was a water leak from a window and the carpet stayed wet. Other than that, the car is very solid. For me and my situation, it was way better for me to spend some extra up front and get a solid base, than to try to save money by getting something that required a lot of restoration work.

9. Dan859

Dan859

Mark!! Are you reading this???? This is just making me laugh my a$$ off!!! At one point, Mark and I are talking engines. He says, "You know, I've got this really nice BB Chevy engine, just sitting in the corner at my shop. We could put that motor in your Comet.". I'm like, "No! Not just no, but He!! no!!" This is exactly why! None of those new rims, either. Torq-thrusts, probably 16", should look real good in the wheel wells.
    <!-- / message -->

10. Dan859

Dan859

When we first started talking, I said I was looking for a 427 with about 500 HP. I had forgotten, though, that everything is bigger in Texas :). So, 427 CID and 500 HP ends up to be 480 CID and 600 HP. It's all good. The way Mark's building it, the car and engine will be reliable and streetable, which were my two main concerns.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Dan;great story and pictures.I need to get down to Texas for a visit,have not seen Mark and the Texas Outsidders Group in over 6 years!!!! I'm a firm believer in keeping the engine and car the same brand!! Are you staying with the same colors,inside and out? Keep us posted,ROY.

12. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Hey Dan! Thanks for serving our country first of all. Secondly cool build. I with Roy in terms of keeping the powerplant brand the same as the body make, with few exceptions. I love the engine choice! That s gonna be a sweet piece. I like the mustang II kit also. Is that a welder series? What suspension are you going to use at the rear of the car?

Great stuff, thanks for posting

13. Dan859

Dan859

Roy,
    I agree 100% about putting a Ford engine in it. My only other serious thought was to build a Boss 302 stroker for it, but I really want the 427! The colors will stay the same; Whimbleton white with a red interior. The interior will stay pretty much stock, except for the roll bar and some Procar Elite seats. I will update it for the highway with PS, PDB and cruise. On the exterior, I'm going to do that small spearpoint in the rear 1/4 panel in red, to match the interior, and the brake drums and calipers will also be red.
    <!-- / message -->

14. Dan859

Dan859

Mark told me about the MII kit, but I don't remember. Just check with him on that. The rear end is a narrowed 9" Ford, 3.91 gears and Strange axles. We'll be putting drum brakes from a full size Ford on it for better braking capapbilities. The wheelwells are mini-tubbed, and the suspension will be a relocated leaf spring setup with Cal-trac traction bars. My goal is that if I have slicks on it, that it'll hook up well and just plant and go. Not sure how that'll work out with 600 HP and a 5 speed, but it'll be a lot of fun to find out :D.
    I'll be staying at my Dad's house when I get up to Syracuse. I told him the other day there's going to be a bunch of tire tracks in front of his house. He just started laughing and said, "Well, as long as I did some of them, it'll be OK."

15. Dan859

Dan859

More pics. Here's an FE engine getting mocked up to set the hood clearance and engine mounts. Looking at the pictures, I'm soooooo glad we just took the shock towers out! I got lucky on the engine placement. I really wanted the fiberglass hood with the twin snorkel air intakes, but I wasn't sure if there'd be enough clearance with high riser heads and that intake. Mark was able to get everything aligned to where I can use that hood. You can also see the reinforcing plate he put in for the pedal assembly.

Attached Files:

16. Dan859

Dan859

Here's the engine mounts. Given that they're solid, it's probably a good thing we'll be putting in subframe connectors and the roll bar.

Attached Files:

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dan;your Comet WILL hook up on slicks and Cal-Traks!!!!! Just look at all the 9 second Stock Eliminator cars on 9" tires,leaf springs and Cal-Traks!!!! White with the red interior is the way the A/FX cars came,so perfect!!!! I like the idea of the spear being red,sounds great.It looks like a remote oil filter or at least an angled adaptor is a must!!When do you get home from the Sand Box? ROY.

18. Dan859

Dan859

Hi Roy,
    That's what Mark was telling me, too. I'll likely go with a remote oil filter even if it's not necessary. I like the idea of plumbing an oil cooler into it as well, and the remote filter would make that really easy. I should be in Texas the first part of July. That'll give me plenty of time to get back up to Syracuse for the Street Rod Nationals

<!-- / message -->

19. Nice look & Ideas especially what I've heard about the "Outsiders"

Mine --- Not a 64 but a 65 Caliente.

I'm going the low buck route. 64 Econoline axle 9" 59 ford rear and a C-6. I'm getting the room for my 428 by removing the shock towers & more the original 1965 look. Hope to keep in contact with the Comet Hamber's out there.

Movin/on

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Movin/on;you need to narrow that Econoline axle,or your wheels will be outside the fenders. ROY.

21. Dan859

Dan859

Here's a couple more pics showing the air cleaner clearance. I had already planned on an air cleaner like this, so I was happy to see it would work. It's tight, but there's just just enough clearance for it.

Attached Files:

22. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Dan, yes, I am following this thread.........It's been a cold last 30 days here. Hibernated for a few days......We are back at it and have been gathering more parts for your Comet. Plans are to have the springs re located and the cage/connectors in by the end of the month. Trying to get everything jigged up/mocked up and have it ready for paint prep asap.
    BTW...pay no attention to Roy.......he drives a baby blue car.........lol We met Roy and his runnin' buddy, John Richmond back at the FE nats in Oklahoma...a HOT time was being had...not just the weather........thier trailer was on fire...being the ole fire dog that I am (retired firefighter), I "responded to the call" lol..........everyone managed to save both of the Comets with very minimal damage...It took a lot of Heineken to wash away that smoke and lung full of crap..........any excuse.

Busy this week with the "Impala to BelAire" conversion...nearly finished and the Buick top sat right down on there...that 62 looks much better now as a "bubbletop"........will be doing another soon......now all we need to do is get this 61 bubble top and it's 348 mated and out........I am counting on Kenny to have that one done later this week..........

Found a set of pedals for the Comet........coming out of a 64 Falcon. That plate on the firewall is going away......building another a bit bigger and moved up another 3/4 inch for the booster/master. Will use stainless this time for a bit more strength. This will get us enough clearance to pull the V.C. off on that side without moving a thing. That is gonna be one full engine bay........lol
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  23. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Hey Dan, that "aircleaner" is still gonna need a bit of work.. Will knock something out of aluminum after we get the hood. Looks like we will have just enough clearance if the thing is slanted a bit...may try and incorporate it with the hood scoops as an alternative if you want.

Those engine mounts are going to be boxed, bushed , braced and drilled when finished...and we may still move it all back another 3/4 inch if possible...Will "re install that mock up 427 later this week........Hey Roy... you know that engine block...it's the same one that was in the Galaxie in Ok. Now has a cracked main and one sleeve is wasted...too bad, ole Lucille was on hell of an engine. Jim Kuntz did up that block for us back in '97. We bought it from our dear departed friend Ron Bell and immediately broke it..lol...have had many incarnations of "Lucille" in the Ford since. Using that old block that we got from Charlie Booze now.........and it's completely worn out. Still able to run in the 9.80s when necessary though.........Smokes a bit..........so do I...........

M.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  24. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Let me correct that..........I said "I have a BLOWN BBC here at the shop"

I need to sell that engine...we have had it for a while and every day I contemplate putting it into something........anyone want a 6-71 BDS 427 with elec. Hilborn injection? $6500 out the door and with Weldon pump and reg. Controller for the injection with wiring and the instructions...

Mark

25. Dan859

Dan859

Hi Mark! I was wondering when you'd get here. I was really expecting you to take that comment about everything being bigger in Texas and running with it :). Your meeting with Roy must have been interesting! Always good to have a retired firefighter around!! Just to let you know, I'll be bringing some really good stuff for you when I come there. It'll definitely take care of whatever ails you! LOL!!!
    Your bubbletop conversion sounds real good, I'd like to see some pics when it's done.
    I understand the air "cleaner" was just a mock up to set the clearances. Ideally what I'd like is for there to be some sort of seal between the air cleaner assembly and the hood scoop opening. If the assembly ends up sitting a bit high and is up into the cutout for scoops, that's OK.

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Mark;the FIRE story will never go away,a few scary minutes there!!! I was more worried about old Scrappy than the cars!!!! I still owe you a "COLD ONE" or two!!!!My neighbor and I had thought about doing the bubble-top conversion,but the 62 got sold before we could break out the blue tipped wrenches!!!! Is that Pat's 50 I see hiding in the background? ROY.

27. Falconred

Falconred

Mark, Dan and crew are first class in this ol' North Georgia boy's eyes. I've never been treated any better by anyone, from the first time we met until the present.

I have a friend that is into those "off brand" engines and I will see if he is interested.

28. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Yea Roy, that's Pat's 49/50/51 ...I just read her your post...Pat say's..."I'm not short...and thank you for noticing the shoebox At least someone remembers her car"
    Man if I don't get that thing going soon she is gonna kill me.........and there is "her" 63 Fairlane still sitting in the back building...I am in deep chit...............but shovleing as fast as I can.

Falconred.........how is everyone doing up there in those Gawga hills?
    Mark

29. Dan859

Dan859

These are some pics of the rear wheelwells after they've been mini-tubbed. I really like the way Mark did them. I'll be able to put substantially larger tires on the car, but it didn't interfere with the gas tank, the back seat, or even cut down a whole lot on the room in the trunk.

Attached Files:

30. Falconred

Falconred

Still moving around under my own power. Getting over the snow of last week. Tell everyone hello. Looking forward to our next visit.