Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you guys think about this Shoebox Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Jan 17, 2011.

1. James427

James427
    BANNED

Saw this online and thought it was interesting. ... Here is what it said about it.

This is a custom bodied 1949 Ford with flathead Cadillac engine and accessories. The hood, front fenders and cowl have been brought back some 19 inches, there is no back seat, yet the car remains the same length as a standard 49 Ford. Thought to be built by Bill Frick and Alfred Momo, this car was constructed to satisfy the racing specifications of Mr. Thomas Campbell (mmmGood) and an Argentine race driver Ralph Onunyzia. The car is equipped with Stewart Warner gauges, and Edmunds intake. Mr. Campbell bought out his partner around 1952 and moved the car to his estate 'Louis Mountain' in Charlottesville Virginia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. I think that thing is on ebay now , looks kind of goofy looking. What the hell is a Shjow box anyway .

3. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

that roof does not do it for me...

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Bizzare!
    Nice interior though.

5. cheveey57

cheveey57

I agree, you put all of that thought & work into the body but, the roof looks like an after-thought...........

6. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

It's kind-of cool. Looks like an overgrown Metropolitan in a way.

I think I'd like it better if he'd just shortened the back end without elongating the front end.

Meh - what do I know?

dv

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

The top kinda looks like a 53 Vette top to me.

8. Pharouh

Pharouh

chop the top a little and put skirts on it and it would look a lot better. My .02

9. That's just wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. Sorry, you asked.

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Another real car that didn't have 60 years of to critiques for it's builder to fall back on. Still neat, especially if it's history is true.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Someone ruined a nice car.

12. Although I can't say I really care for the top in particular, if the history is true, it needs to be restored to the as raced condition. Argentina was a hot bed of racing and I'm sure there is some good history to be found. They seem to be very proud of that history and I believe there are some great racing museums there.

13. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I just can't dig it man. I like some of it but not all of it. I'd loose the top. The color would go and then the interior.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

this is a historically significant car related to a historically significant person (Briggs Cunningham). Badmouthing its appearance is irrelavent, as the provenance of the car supersedes any opinions on how it should look or what should be done to "improve" it.

dj

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would drive it.

16. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

The front of the roof line needs to go down or the back of the top needs to go up. So yeah i agree with everyone else. Or make a carson style top for it !

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"" Badmouthing its appearance is irrelavent, as the provenance of the car supersedes any opinions on how it should look or what should be done to "improve" it.""

not when the question was "what do you guys think".

18. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Cool looking car....tops got to go........

19. badshifter

badshifter

I think it's kick ass. Is it the sexiest or most bad ass custom? No, but looks are secondary to an original piece of history. I bet the naysayers would give their left nut to have it if it were available to them.

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

That car has been For Sale forever on e-bay, No-one wants it because it is a TURD and FUGLY. :eek:

21. sort of undecided on this one. definately needs some changes to make it look the part but i think it could look decent in the right hands. probly paint it, drop it in the weeds and a carson top maybe

22. the radical idea and the history make it cool! i don't care for shoe box fords but this one is neat and i would put the top down [save it for a rainy day]

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Drop it, paint it, ditch the roof. Cool car though.

24. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

Ugly.... screwed up a good car.. no reason for it.. ok im done! just my $.02

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I rather like it and the history behind it is pretty interesting. It took some balls to take a brand new 49 Ford business coupe and start cutting on it in the fall of 1948.

It probably didn't start out too expensive either as the base price for a 49 Ford Business coupe was 1333.00

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  26. twochops

twochops

Some photoshop,reworking and chopping top, lowering etc

Attached Files:

27. Moondog13

Moondog13

Needs to be sectioned. :D

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

The op asked what do you think so the bullshit whining about some putting it down is uncalled for,does everytime somebody voices their honest opinion have to bring out the better than thou comments,Hell no. Now as far as the car what a waste of time and work.

29. twochops

twochops

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IT has a tapered section from the back of the door to the front
    a tapered cut about 2"

30. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA