Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bought a really nice 40 Deluxe Business Coupe today!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 21tat

21tat

Love that car!! Congrats.

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's pretty much what I am after, I was thinking dark maroon of the dash on the wheels.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Jeff, That definately could be plan "A". I need to assess the drivetrain, but getting it under its own power may not be tough.

Henry Floored, not so much whats hard about running them, It's more about my preference. I know the engine is not throw-away, and if I did use it it would be re-purposed in a little track roadster, or sold to a fellow hamber. My mind may change if it runs. I never thought I would like Y-blocks, but after having one, I would love to have another.

4. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

so a '32 roadster and a '40 coupe? I like that pair!

What a great looking car ... congrats!

5. indyjps

indyjps

Great Car, Think about keeping it as is for a while. See if You can get it running, if so do the brakes, etc to make it safe and just clean the hell out of it, rub the primer off, clean the seat covers, wax everything up and drive it for a summer.
    You could be on the road come spring with a really sharp survivor style car. If the primer comes off and the paint is decent see what it does for you.
    My Opinion, I never find cars that nice, stuff I find HAS to be rebuilt, youve got a good opportunity to enjoy it as is before rebuilding it.

Go Flatty on it. Ive never built a non chevy engine but I'd do the flathead in that car.

6. amalgamated

amalgamated

very nice hate the jeep idea but thats your choice

7. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

As you can see in my avatar, I'm a nut for '40s'. Looks to me like you made the score of the century!

8. spiders web

spiders web

What ever you do don't put a GM engine in it as that would seen as a white trash solution. Stay blue oval and make a 300+ horse flattie.

9. slammed

slammed

Sneak up on the paint under the primer. Some places may not need to much grit. Use a flexible block or pad and good luck!

10. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Keep thinking like that and a group of HAMBers will show up at your door with pitchforks, tar and feathers! :p

11. titus

titus

I have a y-block id trade for a flathead:)

12. Then maybe "Color sand" wasnt the best choice of word. You're removing the primer, stopping when you get to paint. I was only talking about removing the primer.....

13. titus

titus

What about the old trick of using oven cleaner? dunno if that would hurt the paint?

14. slim tempo

slim tempo

That was my first model car in 1962. AMC or REVELL?

Beautiful

15. Mathew21

Mathew21

Nice Find, Persistence is the key when dealing with a stubborn seller.

16. Great buy!!! I should be so lucky,,,,Sam

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

This what an hour with a biodegradable cleaner did on the firewall. Underside of the hood is like this, as well as the underside of the front fenders. the outer rear wells still have most of the paint. I think I will start wet sanding the outer next weekend to see what happens.

The frame is solid and straight, no rust in the rear kick-ups, the floor pans appear solid good with the exception of the big hole. The rear tool tray inner really solid with very little patching required. The outer tail pan lower has rust.

This is a nice old Ford..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. olskool34

olskool34

Very nice, can't wait to see what happens when you remove that primer.

19. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

I almost had a heart attack!!

Nice clean Minnesota car

20. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

I read the rest of the posts...see I'm not the only one, some of us are old guys and posts like that could be deadly. LOL

Sven took better care of the '40 than Ole took care of my Woodie.

Sven asked Ole, "Do ya know da difference between a Norvegian and a canoe?"ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
    "No, I don't," said Ole. "A canoe will sometimes tip," explained Sven. <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

21. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

sweet car, congrats!

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

I was going to carry it on longer, you know like not knowing if it would be easier to modify the wheel openings to make the wheelbase fit, or maybe having to widen the cowl to get it to sit on the frame...but.

There was just 35 Ford Fenderless/Hoodless sedan posted locally on CL that was an abortion mounted to a truck chassis of some sort. It said pro-built...About as bad as it gets.

Sven did good here sprayin dat dere body up with da primer, .

23. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

How many Grainbelt's until it's on the road? Looks like back to the '50's will be easy.

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

Grain Belt is now brewed on the other side of town. Around here we joke that the faucets have "H" "C" and "B" for a fresh tap.

25. Very nice! '40 has always been on of my favs.

26. George G

George G

OMFG You are joking Right? You would be willing turn $100 into something less than $10?

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wow , that firewall looks great with just a little work . I hope the rest of the body goes as easy for ya !

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

George, see post 11:)

29. sfort

sfort
    from texas

Try WD40 or spray oven cleaner. The WD40 is a guess but the oven cleaner should work. It is used a lot to remove pin striping. Check in a small area to see how the old paint will react.

30. As someone who has used oven cleaner on a painted surface, I'll say DONT DO IT!