Register now to get rid of these ads!

The latest in Hillbillyborn injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Oct 15, 2008.

1. mopartim

mopartim

Absolutely gorgeous work! And the brain side of it is amazing as well. Well played, u da man! I've wanted to do this on a slat 6 for awhile, but not sure where to start....

2. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little more progress....I had to cobble a throttle position sensor mount and make some tie bars and stands to hold the injectors in place. Also it shows a little better the vacuum ports for pcv and map.Oh and I made a gas tank too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. snowcombine

snowcombine

Have you had a chance to do any more work? It's looking REALLY great! I was wondering what you are using for a pump (maybe ford p/u external)

Mopartim; there is a great thread on http://slantsix.org

4. 6narow

6narow

Jethro,

Would you have to notch that side cover for HEI only, or even for the old points-style distributor?

...or is this a moot question, by now?

Also, I noticed in one of your replies, that you were thinking of utilizing BBC rocker arms (eventually).
    What is your intention with that change?

6narow

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

Anything new with the build???

7. power58

power58

Very nice work !!! Should be a real sweet running engine. Thanks for posting.

8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a Mallory magnetic breakerless distributor that I'm going to run. It's small bodied but I still have to notch the side cover for it to clear.....pics later

A few little things but nothing major...bought all my sensors and started to mount them so they are out of view. I'm going to find a runner motor to get everything dialled in on. I'd hate to wash a new rebuild ! I've been working on the exhaust , routing and mounting the o2 sensor ... once I have a little more to show I'll post more pics later

9. RABrods

RABrods

I like the idea of the brass fittings, I am trying to figure out a similar setup for my Cadillac 500. Do you have anymore pics of the hardlines ran for the individual injectors? How does the setup work, are you having any fueling issues because of the junction box? The junction box should act similar to a fuel rail, therefore no difference as long as the junction box has a return line correct?

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only problem that I can see with the individual lines is heat from the exhaust. If you check some of my other posts I have a video of it running. I still don't have it on the road yet so I don't have any driveability stories yet....maybe this summer....if it ever comes!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Well that's pretty slick. Are you going to put heat shields between the header tubes and the intake runners? Are they necessary?

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You sir, rock the proverbial six shooter!!!
    This is so cool.

I got a little side project hiding under my bench. It's an OT Volvo B30E, 181cui, straight six out of a 1974 (70-75) Volvo 164, Bosch Fuel injection.

They put out stock 170hp, but the injection is very fidely, and parts cost big time!!
    So I was planning on making me a Hillborn inspired set up, like yours, and use all new parts and make it look vintage.

I was planning on using a pick up on the flywheel, the Bosch 2.2 (modern FI) runs a pick up on the flywheel, and it got a bump removed on the starter gear, so when that passes the pick up, it's TDC on cylinder #1. It's should be pretty simple to that on yours.
    I been contemplating putting a VW vacuum pump in the dizzy hole, to replace vacuum for the brake booster, because I will be needing that in the car. And it would look a lot like a magneto.
    And run ignition from a VW VR6 coil pack, I know that's not HAMB parts right there, but it should work fine for my OT project.
    I plan to add O2 sensors behind my Fenton styled headers.

And you do fantastic work and I'm very impressed!
    Keep at it, lad!

13. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words! I couldn't have done it without help from fellow HAMBers. GMC Bubba was instrumental in getting the electronics sorted out. He also put me in touch with a guy who makes up custom wiring harnesses for EFI. I'm curious to see what you are up to with your Volvo project.

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Now tap the bung for a 5/8 32 thread and thread the bosch injector bottom. (works very well) (my size may be off). BDS makes fitting for an6 lines to the top of the injector. Would look great ran down to your adapter, just screw them in against a oring.