Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mackey's Hot Rods Huntington Beach CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DougO68, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Been talking with these guys about some work on my 50 Mercury project anyone done business here??

thanks

2. bsnyder53

bsnyder53
    from L.B.C

Hey Denny,

I would stay clear they do sloppy work and over charge everytime...good luck...

B Snyder

3. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

saw some ads on craigslist from these guys. holy shit you'd think the stuff they were trying to sell was dipped in gold or something! so overpriced. they either don't know what stuff is really worth or they want to rip people off.

4. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

Ive had work done on 2 of my cars and was very pleased. There labor rate was $65/hr when my car was in there. Most other shops I looked into were $75 to $85. As for sloppy work....I saw nothing in there shop that resembled sloppy. Clean welds, nice wiring and finish work and they just finished painting a 56 chevy when i brought my car down. Beautiful! Mackey is a cool dude too. - Jonny A.

5. NoFriends310

NoFriends310

kinda funny this was your first post...wth?! Heard some good things about this shop, anticipating on going down to check them out for myself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqdcbzgrgs0

6. Funny, you just joined. Mmmm...

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

And whats also funny is that the second poster's first reply was to a year and half old thread in the same month he joined. Hmmmm..

8. What kind of work are you looking to have done? Give slddnmatt a call or PM him. Mercs are his speciality...

9. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

When I googled Mackey's Hot Rods Inc the H.A.M.B link came up. I saw someone posted a negative bullshit comment so I felt compelled to tell my story. Like NoFriends310 said, kinda funny that bsnyder53 had only that one post. Im new to the HAMB so by all means.....show me around. And check out Mackey's shop! Ill try to post shots of my cars and the work he they did for me. -Jonny A.

10. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Went to their website and I'm not at all impressed with their work, especially this pic: [​IMG]

Also, find a builder that has decent taste. The modified they built is hideous!

There are a ton of great builders in socal, Mackey is NOT one of them. If you're looking to get work done on your 50 Merc, take it to Slddnmatt. He's a Merc expert.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Never been there but by looking at that picture I never would.

12. I would hope by now, a year and half later the OP already found someone to work on his stuff. As for bsnyder53, either follow the rules and do a proper info or leave.

13. Hotroddon - OP has found someone, myself mostly see the build here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324476 I found Mackey to be a great guy and had no issues with him just decided to go at it on my own. In the near future I will be enlisting the well know skills of Bob Cole Automotive to continue the process, look for the updates. BTW it sure took a long time for this thread to go off LOL!!

14. “You know the old joke? Man shows up at the pearly gates, sees this guy in a pinstripe suit and a briefcase, a cigar, prancing about. He says to Saint Peter, ‘Who’s that guy?’ Saint Peter says, ‘Ah, that’s just God. Thinks he’s Denny Crane.’”

Dang I miss that show

15. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

Looks like a cool artistic picture to me. The Brudwich probably doesnt even know what hes looking at to judge the picture. Anything is easy to criticize over the internet. Im sure most of you have never even been to there shop to have a look for yourselfs. I hope is site isnt full of dudes that spend more time on here than in there garage. Kinda seems that way so far.

16. Maybe you should do an intro as required by this board http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274 so people will know who you are and where you're coming from before you start bad mouthing the people on here.

17. Don, no info, no intro but he has managed to mouth off and post pictures in an album. Some new guy. I guess his screen name sums up his attitude.

18. I think that's the last we'll see of that new guy;)

19. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

Jacks Lowrodders? Rings a bell, I think they didn't last very long because there shop was full of a bunch of drug addicts. Circle City is a cool place though, Jimmy seems like a cool dude. As far as Brian Mackey goes, everyone has to start somewhere. Sweeping, cleaning or whatever you have to do to move ahead in this world. Mackey is one of the most honest shop owners I know. And do not think I am personal friends with him and thats why I have good things to say. He came off as a very smart guy about cars and business alike. Like I said before, very pleased with the work which I has done. No one wants to pay a bill but at the end of the day there shop labor rate was reasonably priced. And yes Mr. Grenade Inspector, the world does come around and hopefully you will still be laughing. 2012 is just around the corner....

20. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

By the way, Im curious what THE HAMB's opinion of other builders are? The "movie stars" in the business. I.E.- Chip Foose, everyones favorite "Jesse James", and other talented craftsman like Cole Foster, Steve Davis, and I really wonder what people think about the dude Bo Huff, who I only see in Ol School Rodz??

21. Hmmm, Keeps posting and still can't seem to understand that an Intro is part of the deal here in the appropriate section, not to mention it being disrespectful not to.

22. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

Don, I like you because of your cool quote at the bottom of your post. It makes me laugh and I agree with it. So, what would you like me to do? Something about a Intro? Tell me where I can do this and I will make it happen for ya. Jonny A.

23. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Please do an intro .You can defend the shop that's fine but your attitude and the way you went about doing it sucks.

24. Go back to my post #16 in this thread and follow the link. :D

25. I must admit I was wrong about this FNG sticking around. Man did this thread get weird?!?

26. Yeathatsright

Yeathatsright
    from So Cal

Regardless of drugs, cars, countries or other interest, it seems that everyone loves to hate, argue and disagree. Im guilty of this too so I apologize. Please point me to the forum where hot rodders come together and take on larger problems like smog regulation and registration issues. HotRodDon, your cool. ChillyWilly, keep on laughing...it's the only thing free in this fucked up world. Wingedexpress, take care.

27. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Just take it easy ,enjoy the site and all will be good.