Register now to get rid of these ads!

V-6 anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipstitch, Jan 10, 2011.

1. skipstitch

skipstitch

So i've been workin' on the "A" the past couple weeks. Power will be from a '65 Olds F-85 V-6 (basically a Nailhead Buick missing 2 cylinders) that I horse traded for some labor. Low, low miles... so it's gettin' a "rattle can rebuild". Question is... Who else is runnin a "V-6"??? Let's see pix.

Attached Files:

2. jchav62

jchav62

I'm not running a V-6, but that one sure seems cool!

3. DrJ

DrJ

They eventually went to an even fire crank, cam and distributor.
    I don't know if they will retro-fit or not but I bet someone on here does!
    But then it won't idle like a Harley any more.... ;)

4. skipstitch

skipstitch

Ha ha... I'm good with the odd fire. That way when it shakes I can pretend it has a NASTY cam :)

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

i ran a 4.3 in a 29 I had. I was quite please with it, ran good, sounded good, fit good

6. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

I've got a 305" v-6 out of a GMC truck, would like to build a roadster around it eventually.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This guy is.

Attached Files:

8. retromotors

retromotors

I had a Buick Regal back in the days, was the first year for the odd-fire V6.
    ('74, '75, somethin' like that ... it's been a long time!)

I found it to be a pretty good little engine.

Hauled that Buick around OK, should be pretty sporty in a light car like yours.

9. to be honest im thinking about swapping my 240 out of my 66 f100 and throwing in a efi v6 gas is killing me and if i wanna add horsies than it just means more gas !! i think a v6 is a good alternative & good power range if i wasnt driving it daily id go clifford all the way but them fuel prices are only going up

10. RatRod65GMC

RatRod65GMC

Beef that roadster up, that 305 GMC engine weighs 795 lbs dry...(got one in my GMC pickup)..

11. I'm not a V6 fan, but I like the looks of yours, skipstitch!

12. 9fingerdoug

9fingerdoug
    from VA

The 305 v6 was a real stump puller of an engine :)
    I'm putting a small v6 in a pv544 Volvo that I'm building.
    Should fit well and push that little car right along.

13. Noland

Noland

they made an adaptor kit for a early jeep to put that engine in them. If you could get your hands on a set of those fenderwall headers from the kit. They would be cool on there. I think its cool your putting that engine in an A.

14. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That should make people scratch their heads... Good looking V-6.

15. gsp392

gsp392

I'm running a 300hp Supercharged 262cid in my T-Bird. Just installed the new engine, now I have to take it to a muffler shop.

16. I raced the odd-fire V6 in a dirt track modified. If you are going to use ANY performace parts you will need to modify the oiling system. I used a 9/16" drill welded to a rod ( I still have it) to drill out the block length oil passage. I made a spacer to run the 350 Buick oil pump gears. I found a timing chain from Kenne-Bell that eliminated the tensioner and made the engine more responsive. Port the heads and run more compression and it will make a lot of horsepower. We ran a 500 Holley 2bbl and were able to keep up with the V8's. I also ran one on the street in a Monza that would lift the front tires off the ground (five speed) 3.73 gears. GOOD LUCK !

17. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Streetrodders tried the v6s back in the 1970s but that didnt last long before they quit using them.
    It was kind of a fad

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  18. skipstitch

skipstitch

AGH!!! My V-6 is gonna make my car a Street Rod!?!?!?! Crap, now I gotta throw my 16 inch '40 ford wheels away and buy billet 20's! Anyone know a guy who can do tweed upholstery? :) :)

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Putting a 4.3 into my Rambler when I get time. Should be a big improvement over the worn out straight 6 in it now. Don't think I would put one in an exposed motor car though, just my opinion.

20. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Your '65 F-85 V6 isn't based on the Buick nailhead, it's essentially a Buick 300 V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off for 225 cubes.

Great little engines, I had one I pulled out of a '64 Buick Special back in the late '70s and stuck it in the back of a '69 VW Squareback using a Kennedy Engineered Products adapter and flywheel.

Stone reliable, loved that little 'Fireball V6'.

21. skipstitch

skipstitch

I'm gonna run hood sides and ditch the top. I kinda want to show off the "6". The price was right (basically labor to stitch a pair of bucket seats). If my friend had offered up a 305 chevy, inline 6, pontiac v-8 or an Iron Duke for trade, that's what the car would have. I'm CHEAP :)

Attached Files:

22. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I just don't understand why someone would out a V6 in a hotrod?

Hot Rods were purpose built for speed and power not get good gas mileage like economy cars.

I do think the Nailhead V6 is cool and different because it is not 3.8L out of Aerostar van.

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I've always had a v-6 in my model t of course I've had several different ones. But I have never had a problem that I didn't create such as side stepping the clutch at 3000 rpm and blowing the crankshaft out the bottom of the oil pan but that's what 15lbs of blower boost will do. I have had lots of experience with the 6 and they are good engines I really dig the older motors like you have.