Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Will '69 VW steering box work on '32 coupe???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capt Kirk 2, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Capt Kirk 2

Capt Kirk 2

Need some input, found this VDub, German made box, in the original wrapper from my way back when project. Very similar to a Vaga in appearence but, would it take the stress of living under a 440 big block in a '32 coupe frame?

Just don't know the limits of such a steering box in street and salt flats conditions.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What Vdub model & year is it from? The boxes for beetles varied over the years and the units from about '66 up had better (lower friction) internals, IIRC. However Beetle (Type 1) boxes mounted on top of the front axle beam and that leads me to think that is not the box you have in hand. But if it is, I think it is too light for that much weight.

More likely, you have a Bus/Van (Type 2) box, which I think side mounts. Given the extra weight, and it's distribution, of a Type 2, I would think it would be stout enough for your application.

Ray

3. Beam me up Scotty!,,,I really won't trust a box but for a car with a light front end. HRP

4. post a photo of the vw box so we can id what you have. Here in NZ it is common to use the early Kombi/bus/transprter box's in hotrods . The '32 pickup in my albums is done that way , along with my A tudor .

5. F&J

F&J

I would not use the bug box. On very hard, rough use in a bug or T3, the 4 bolt covers sometimes loosen up..so I think you'd have that problem.

The ouput shaft is strong enough but the input shaft is pretty small with ultra fine splines.

Second issue is like was said about the way it mounts to a round tube.

I am using a very early VW bus box in a 32 with heavy early Olds motor, cross steered, and it turns real nice even though it is a "worm and peg" rather that a roller.

6. dragster dude

dragster dude

here in brisbane there is a guy that builds t buket kits 'designed chassis' www.designedchassis.com he uses vw steer boxes on all his chassis (hebuilds all chassis not only t chassis ) they all seem to steer well

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Super Beetle box ('71-'74) was the best of 'em, but I've replaced them in VWs at less than 100K. With no engine up front, that speaks volumes.
    Consider the cautions here. I have been using the mid-'60s Mopar boxes. Easily set up for side-steer, they hang the pitman arm down, and they are aluminum with fins. Look like something Dean Moon would have made in '55! Also, they're recirculating ball bearing, and use Saginaw parts!
    And finally, it's for your Deuce. Use the best. Sell that VW on the Bay.

8. F&J

F&J

Those shimmied so bad that the "straight ahead" position on the worm would get a groove worn in it. Then it would not be able to adjust out the free play. I guess that's why they went to a rack later?

9. supervert

supervert

not to mention that super box's are like gold if you have to buy a new one

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I had FED years ago that had a VW box in it. Worked super in a dragster. Looks kinda light for a 32 or something though. Lippy

11. Volkswagen bus 1965 to 1967

Frenchy

12. DrJ

DrJ

Isn't it a Gemmer box?
    The same company that built most of the Ford & Volvo boxes?
    If it's in a similar front end weight vehicle it sohould work if the mounting can be be fabbed.

13. Capt Kirk 2

Capt Kirk 2

Thanks.....like the suggestion of a 60's Mopar box. That's the way I'm going.

Engine and 4-speed are Mopar.....the box to match is perfect.

Wayne

14. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

Came across this thread looking for something else. If you search around here you will see that folks use a VW Bus steering box and shaft from 50's thru 67.
    Super Beetle's had a shimmy problem because of front end design. The steering boxes are strong and should work fine in a 2500 pound car.