Register now to get rid of these ads!

rudy rodriguez 40 merc almost ready for paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low springs, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

AWSOME car guys, I like the video, and the music, I like that the engine compartment wasn't over done with bling, looks like it would have been built back in the day and the interior is spot on also. What year is that steering wheel from or is it a stock merc piece???????? Scott

2. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

I know there are a lot of stunning cars out there. BUT HOT DAM!! I think this car just took it to the next level, all i can do is look at the picture over and over and shake my head...Well done! I think this merc just set the bar!!

3. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

5. that by far is the best post ever! what a car also!!

6. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Rudy does some amazing stuff.

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That Merc is a masterpiece! Can't wait to see it in a couple of weeks! Good work Rudy and Paul!!

8. once again awesome job Rudy - the finess of the flow , the way that you did the trim and the b-pillar... wow - total loss of words -mind is blown...

9. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Hands down!!...This is the best 1939-40 merc I have ever seen.....

10. That's the most artfully exectued finger in the air I have ever seen...I just about fell off my chair...

&ampnbsp</p></OBJECT>

11. CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

Beautiful.
    Out of curiosity, what are the differences between 39 and 40 merc coupes and how much would a nice one like the one posted cost?
    Not even close to being able to afford one right now, but it's something i would love to have one day...

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

beautifully executed,amazing craftmanship..breath taking

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This might sound completely crazy, but the guy I was paying to develop a reproduction of the Lyons wheelcovers pretty much stole my tooling and ended up selling a few sets of the Lyons, as well as a few sets of a ribbed version of the Lyons covers on ebay before I caught him and he shut down.

The caps on this Merc look just like the ribbed covers. And those look like smooth wire wheel caps in the center with a gold crest added. You could probably chop down a couple of wire wheel hubs and weld them to some solids to get everything to snap right on?

BUT... all of my weirdness aside that car is so nice it really deserves more than to be made into a game of guess which car that part came from.

14. chrisman

chrisman

[​IMG]

15. 1929

from Pomona

Can I get a ride?

16. Trencher

Trencher

well, I read the first and last page of this and Jeffsled took the words right out of my mouth...I was expecting to see another "Matranga chop" and was pleasantly surprised..and what seems so logical and do-able just turned into extraordinary!!! great job!

17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Kevin, as far as I know the hubcaps are custom made. They are cold rolled steel, and made to look like a combination between an early Delahaye and a Talbot Lago. But for all I know it can be the guy you talked about that did it. Here is a better shot of it for ya:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  18. 38zephyr

38zephyr

It looks like there might be some 40 Ford inner trim rings going on in the middle of all that hubcap wizardry .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

unfortunately i can't take credit on the nazi video. i wish i had thought of it first though. :p

20. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

how about i let you stand next to it and make vroom vroom noises. :D

21. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Was this the guy that you had to send two pairs of your wheel covers to? (The first set was lost?).

I heard that Jimmy Shine was producing them also via Slo-Cal back in the day before the HAMB blew up and went HUGE.

Chris

22. blackout

blackout

23. hasty

hasty

Just stunning

24. 562roadster

562roadster

can't wait to see it in person.

25. elchubbs49

elchubbs49
    from california

26. elchubbs49

elchubbs49
    from california

27. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Won't waste words that have already been said...So I'll just say this car is in the best tradition of the 40's and 50's customs and serves their memory well. I guess the best compliment I can pay it is to say it gives me the same feelings I get when I look at old shots of customs from back in the day. Absolutely perfect.