Register now to get rid of these ads!

draggin my ass end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hey guys. i'm about to run truck trail arms under my 1954 belair and no i dont have pix. i want to bag the rear but i dont want it to lay frame just want it low. just in case i blow a bag i dont want to be stranded. (i drive em like i stole them) should i run springs to? or will they be loose when i lift the car when i hit bumpy roads? or any ideas will help and pix to. thanx

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

run a snubber at your lowest comfortable height

3. Bad Luck Engineering

Bad Luck Engineering

There's no reason to run springs too, just make sure that you've got a solid bump stop on each side of the rear axle mounted low enough to stop upward movement of the axle before the frame or anything else touches the ground. If you somehow lose airbag pressure you will still be able to drive on the bump stops.

4. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

Snubber sounds like a good idea

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I once built a set of snubbers that were adjustable. Square tube inside square tube mulitple holes and a pin. Snubber mounted on the end. Put it were ever ya want.

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

ive got bump stops in the notch of my 52 for that same reason. if anything happens, ive got a cool inch too spare! hahaha! might take out a street reflector, but at least im not on the ground!

7. sounds good to me thanx guys i know what i'm doing on my day off

8. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea i agree with the other guys, ive got rubber bumpstops on all 4 corners in my 63 impala just in case of a failure i can still get home! My bro and i bagged his 91 chevy caprice lowrider about 5 yrs ago, he lived down in Louisiana then. He went to a show in Dallas, TX about 4 hrs away, and blew an air line to the rear bags and had no backup. He drove all the way back to Louisiana sittin on the bumpstops we put on the rear axle with the bumper 1" off the ground haha! Rode like hell on the freeway, but he got it home

9. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Find a progressive bump stop. Like a Daystar EVS series. They come in a bunch of styles and sizes. It gives a little cushion before the rear bottoms out, MUCH nicer than the standard rubber bump stops and doesn't cost but a few bucks more. Your kidneys and suspension parts will thank you.

10. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

I could not find snubbers for my ride,used transmission mounts instead,bolted to the frame where the stock snubbers went.I think the tranny mounts are stronger,and last longer..