Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SB Chevy in Model A PU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercboy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. mercboy

mercboy
    from oregon

For those of you who are interested in transplanting a s.b. into a Model A without cutting any firewall, this is how I did it:

Purchased a '29 PU, recessed firewall w/ s.b. Ford/C4 auto, Vega cross-steer.
    Removed recess, replaced with original lower firewall.
    Replaced Vega with half-rack.
    Used snow white with opal pump.
    Single-balancer pulley.
    Miniature alternator.
    Sanderson blockhugger headers.
    327 SB Chevy w/ turbo 350.
    Not only does the engine/trans. fit without any modifications to the firewall, the original uncut floorboards can be used. Also incorporated original throttle assembly, adapted to back of bell housing. Makes for a really clean unit. As you know, Model A pu's have limited cab room. This allows for the cab to look completely stock. I'm also going to modify an original column so that the steering looks stock. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days. Good luck!

2. Payaso

Payaso

I have a '28 Closed Cab that's get'n a tried and true SBC...

Ya Got pics!! Thanks!!

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You don't say whether you are using an electric or mechanical fan.. And if using electric , is it in front of radiator.. Unless using a deuce frame I don't see how else you can do it.. Please, give more info.as I too have a 28 CC pickup to build.....

4. mercboy

mercboy
    from oregon

No, we are using a mechanical fan. 17" Flexrite. Still have 3/4" space inbetween fan and radiation. Plenty of room to take fan belt off and on. Also able to extract Mallory dual-point distributor and still clear gas tank.
    It is a TCI Model A chassis. Not a lot of extra room, but everything clears. Too many people butchering their firewalls for no reason. When I was young, I could drive cramped. Too crippled now to drive in a fetal position.

If you need to talk more about it, PM me.

5. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

If you need to talk more about it, PM me.

What good would that do? Lots of inquiring minds what to know the answers and see the pictures.
    Are you using the stock length hood would be my question?

I am building a 31 ford PU with a sbc so I am interested in the answers and some one might ask you something I may not know to ask. Good reason for a forum.

Looking forward to the pictures but if your asking for private messaging should I suscribe to this post?

FNG's :)

6. mercboy

mercboy
    from oregon

http://flic.kr/p/98BqoR
    http://flic.kr/p/98Bqoa
    http://flic.kr/p/98Bqn4
    http://flic.kr/p/98BqkH
    http://flic.kr/p/98Bqic
    http://flic.kr/p/98EywS
    http://flic.kr/p/98EyvG

This is the engine sitting in an uncut '29 pu. The full hood has already been dry-fitted. Using Mallory dual-point ignition, stock Model A throttle assembly, stock 350 trans. dip stick and tube. The headers shown on the truck are Speedway headers, which are tighter to the frame. They will still work but Sanderson headers are better yet. Again, lower crank single pulley is about 1/2" behind front spring u-bolts. You must use a half-rack because the Vega box sits too high and interferes with anything but a custom exhaust. Bottom of engine pan is parallel with lower forebar. Front of engine pan clears rack boot by about 1/2". Plenty of room. The problem with the Ford small block is the front sump: If you replace it with a rear sump pan, you are still dealing with an oil pump in the front of the block. Also, cannot get water pump short enough for firewall and floorboards to clear. You'll notice in one of the photos that the wooden floorboards were cut around the trans. This is not necessary.
    The shifter is Lokar. I assume Gennie would also work. The snow white pump riser puts the fan exactly in the middle of the radiator where you want it. The engine mounts are flathead style from Chassis Engineering. Driver's side had to be modified; also had to make a custom mount for the alternator. The downside is it is maybe very difficult to run any other accessories (a/c, ps, etc.)

Just for fun, I put a stock bakelite junction box on the firewall. Coil in stock position. Would need to remove to remove distributor.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

8. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Very tidy. Thanks for the pictures and info. It looks like you could have even moved the engine closer to the firewall if you wanted. That fan is as close as it can get, that's for sure.
    I have never seen a water pump set up like that.
    Looks great!

9. vert1940

vert1940

very nice job

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Man that is compact, nice pickup too!

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm sorry, but I believe the cab has been set back on the frame and a new hood has been made.. There is just too much room behind the back of valve covers and the firewall for me to believe it will work.. I would like to see a side view of the truck with the hood on to know for sure.. I'm sorry I'm such a skeptic but I've built alot of A's and never been able to put a SBC in an A frame without a recess.. But if your pics are truly real than I apologize.........

12. mercboy

mercboy
    from oregon

sorry to burst your bubble, but the cab is bolted in the stock location. 1 inch clearance top of fan to rad. I've already had hood and sides on twice to confirm fit. I've been restoring and building rods for 40 years. The issue with cutting the firewall isn't so much the recess as it is the tunnel you created to cover the trans. This makes for a very uncomfortable ride. My son posted the pictures, I will try to post some with hood. The reason most A's are cut is because some builders think that's the only way. One thing that helped was a plastic mock-up block and trans. Trust me, this is not a trick or doctored photo.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I had a 29 Sedan and I do not think it was possible to put a sbc in it without a firewall mod. I had the snow white set up also. you must have moved the radiator forward. I had to set the firewall back a 2 to 3" inches I believe .

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Until further pics, I'm not convinced........

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Did you notice the chev 6 cylinder waterpump and Snow White waterpump riser kit on the front of the SBC?

It shortens the engine allowing it to fit

16. mercboy

mercboy
    from oregon

your 29 sedan is the same dimentions as the pu. Believe me it will fit. The snow-white pump I refer to has a GM/ opal pump instead of chevy 6 giving you about 1 more inch clearance. Yes their is some room to move to engine back a little, but you would not be able to remove the dis. without added work. I only needed to remove coil and junction box cover.The only differant 29 firewall that I am aware of is the 4dr 3- piece firewall. again, I am not making this up. The Engine fits nicely, full floor boards, stock firewall, stock fuel pump. One note: When I purchased this PU it had saddle tanks already installed; I don't like them. You could easily use the stock tank, problem is only 10 gal.