Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Starter Brush Assembly???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ok I give up... I pulled a starter off a 40 flatty and the brushes popped off the armature. How and the heck do you reinstall these things?
    I disassembled the access band on the body of the unit but even then I can't figure out how to hold the brushes in place to slide the armature back in. How do you hold the brush clips back?? yikes...no room in there.

2. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

I have no experience with those but on most electric motors you can put the brushes into place and insert a thin wire to hold them in place. Put the armature back in as far as you can and then pull the wires holding the brushes in place out once the armature is far enough in to hold the brushes. Does that make sense? It'd be a lot easier in person to just show you.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes, Good point.
    I understand.. I looked for a hole to install a wire to hold but didn't see one.
    Will look again.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nope!
    The bracket holding the brushes is only 3/8 wide and they have no hole. I wonder if Ford made a special tool for this? Dont ever let your starter come apart! What a pain.
    Never seen a motor this hard to do.

5. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Try installing the armature to the end plate and then slide the barrell over the armature. Tricky but do-able.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The endplate wires are really short on the Flatty starters. Not any room installing the brushes in place with the springs installed and then try getting them to fit over the armature. The springs are very stout and push the brushes out really hard. These are not the typical round springs but the type that are a band bent into a circle. Mean SOBs.
    If thats what you mean.

7. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Make three small hocks out of 1/16 welding rods and use them to retract the springs. You will need an extra set of hands to pull on the hooks. Another trick was to retract each spring and hook the end on the side of the brushes. Once the armature is behind the face of the brushes thenthe brushes are pushed in and allowing the spring to go back into place and push the brushes aginst the commutator.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yep tried that. Got three installed and the fourth spring popped right out of its holder. At that point I became frustrated. Looks like another set of hands may work.. if we can get that many in there! Even tried making a hook that would attach to the outer hsg and hold back the clamp. Not much luck on that one. Ha. I bet the guys rebuilding these for a living have a good trick. Back to work...........

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Got it!

I took some pics to save others heartache down the road.
    I fashion a hook as hambandy289 suggested to easily get ahold of the springs and pulled them up and placed them under pressure against the top of the brush brkt.
    You can do this by pushing the spring clear to the top of the holding brkt. The springs will stay in place giving you room to realign and install the brushes.
    View the springs against the brkts in the picture.
    Sorry about the clarity.

Attached Files:

10. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

I know this is an old post, but figured out a way to do it quick. Had 2 hours into this starter twice. Then this. lol. I used these aluminum yard stakes I found at the hardware store. They bend well, cut easy, but hold in place. Took 5 minutes.

Attached Files:

Petejoe likes this.
  11. Wow!
    Thanks Fordman!
    I have one that's been laying in a pile for a year, 'cause I gave up and threw it in the corner.

12. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

Was a pain in the ass.

13. I know this an old post but I found it while searching for a solution and thought I would share my work around for this.
    I pull the coil spring back with a hook pick.
    Then I push the brush up with a 90 degree pick and rest the spring on the side of the brush. The spring pressure holds the brush up inside the housing. (See the pic below)
    Gently repeat for all brush positions
    Carefully insert armature
    Gently lift the coil spring and let the brush fall into place...repeat for all 4 brushes.
    Finish assembling the starter
    Drink a beer to a job well done
    Chappy