Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not another 36 ford coupe!! Not another build!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesville, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

hi dooley

when you say 'if you ran them through there as well' as well as what???

2. farmer12

farmer12

This is one awesome looking build, very impressive! Keep up the good work. I'll be following this thread for sure!

3. woodbox

woodbox

Awesome build thread so far, Im subscribing.
    The pictures of the fuel line to the engine don't show any flexible section between the engine and chassis. You have the engine rubber mounted so it can vibrate and shake around but the copper fuel line is fixed to the chassis and the engine block. Copper line will "work Harden" under these situations and break. Maybe a section of rubber line between engine and chassis or at least some coils wound into the copper line to allow a bit of movement.
    Just my 2c worth.
    Great build........I need to make a start on my 39 Coupe as soon as I finish my 27 lakester!

4. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

hi woodbox

this is only a mock up, so the last section of the fuel line is not finished until i have the body on. between the engine (the fuel regulator) and the fuel line the last section will be rubber hose, which will give plenty of flex, i hope.

5. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Love 3 windows. I would trade my sedan any day for one.......

6. belzebub

belzebub

This is a very inspirational thread and thanks for sharing !!

7. Jamesville,

If it makes you feel any better, when I built my 50 sedan I had to fab my own exhaust too. I had to run the front pipe under the oil pan also. My car was assembled and up on jackstands. I would have given anything to have it all in the open like you.
    I agree it was a huge pain in the ass and frustraiting at times. 10,000 trips back und forth under the car and back out. BUT... When it is all said and done it was probably one of the more rewarding little projects withing on big project that I accomplished. Here's a pic. Todd

[​IMG]

8. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

hi tug,

you're right it does feel good now, but i had some long nights staring at the ceiling wondering how the f#€k do i do that. when i am working on something hard i find it difficult to think about anything else, which pisses my wife off.

the hard part was winding that exhaust around the steering box, then pass the oil filter, over the wishbone and under the frame. the rest was fine.

those are some sweet pipes Tug are they Stainless steel???

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  9. No, not stainless. I used regular exhaust tubing. I wire brushed and painted the welds with Eastwood high temp aluminum paint. Believe it or not it held up fine. I started with a big pile of various bends and just cut and fit it all together. The exhaust shop wanted FAT$$$ to do it. Screw them. Todd

10. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

i did the exact same thing, i started with

5x 90
    5x 45
    4x 60
    2x smithys
    12' of straight tube.

and stainless was not in my budget either.

11. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Love your car and the work you ar doing. I would have had a hard time taking it apart. Looked pretty nice when you started! I have a 36 SD that is at the paint shop now and then I get to completely go through the rest. I have 3 Chassis for it. Can't make up my mind what way to go:confused: Keep posting your progress, it keeps me motivated!

12. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

some of you have asked about the bikes, so here is a quick look at one of the bikes i am building right now (its what i do during the day). the bike has been in the same family since 1950 and has not been started since 1963. i am restoring it back for the grandson.

these are before and during shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JAWS

JAWS

Bikes too!

Looks like a 45"'er. What year is the bike 50?

I like it, single down tube and all.

14. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

1943 WLC, i am told it was pushed out of a plane with a parachute during the war.

15. All caught up reading your thread now. I hadn't checked in for a while. Guess I got spoiled by the speed with which you started.(plus so much other material on the HAMB to read).

There is valuable information here on your thread, thanks for the details.

My car is on a sabatical at the moment. Not finished the new garage yet. When I do get going I'll have good reference info thanks to you.

I've found a 37 motor that has been stored in a shop for many years, sort of an engine barn find. I'll definately do a thread when I get to go see it.(supposed to happen today, but the seller is sick).

I just want to see my car move under its own power for this year. Thanks for the inspiration. Keep up the good work.

16. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

very nice rebuild...subscribing just cause I'm a fool for 36'

17. I am staring to slip in my motorcycle knowledge, been out of the game to long. "WLC"? WL is 45cu in. flathead. Is the "C" for Canadian? I know WLA was the U.S. army designation. Todd

18. Yep WLC Canadian model. I have a complete bottom end with cases in the barn.

19. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Awesome build! I look forward to seeing more progress!:)

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My 36 has a sbc with the rams horns, and the weedetr kit takes the exhaust from the rams horns to the rest of the system, when my pipes were done they were ran inside the fame rail and through the x member side braces, which from the pics shows your fuel line runs through, just was wonderng if heat would be an issue, isf you ran them the same way I did, soory for the poor wording...

21. JAWS

JAWS

Beat me to it...nice.

22. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

THE EXHAUST II

I really wanted to finish up the exhaust today, so i ask my good friend Peter who is a blacksmith to come and give us a hand. It took me 1 1/2 hours to mock up the other side compared to 15 hours for the first side. Then we had to make some flanges to weld to the 2" exhaust to bolt up to the manifolds, as i have not been able to find any for sale. anyway we finished!!! Check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and as you can see Dooley the pipes are not going through the cross members, so no fires!

23. Mart

Mart

24. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

and yes WLC 750's were made for the Canadian army. the main difference being the front end is the same as the 1200's.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Incredible work!

26. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Very nice!

I hope you didn't take it the wrong way, just offering one of many ways to do this stuff...

You will like the sound of those mufflers, they are the same I have.

I will have to save that pic, if i need pipes in the future...

27. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

Don't worry Dooley i did not take any offense. one of the reasons for this thread is for people to give me advice and to point out any mistakes i am making.

Thank you all for your compliments and support it really is motivating.

So my plan is to fire up the engine on Wednesday!! today after work i hooked up a temporary starter board with a switch and a resister and ran all the wires. I hooked up the gas with a temp filter and tested the fuel pump. Filled up the engine and gearbox with oil. I set the timing (well i think i did) and installed the coil. tested the starter and its works perfect.

Does anyone know what the fuel pressure should be set at for this set up????

[​IMG]

Still need to fill up the radiator, does anyone know how much i need to fill it to get away with it working????

make some kind of temporary radiator support, last fill the tank with gas and then press that bottom!!!!!!!!

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are you running 94's? I think they run at about 2.5psi. Somewhere between 2-4 though...not much at all.

29. JAWS

JAWS

Not to hyjack, but that would mean the neck is a 1" stem? then the frames would be different or just the neck cups? I thought the smaller stem was shorter too.

I have one from a WLA... Just wondering.

30. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

hi jaws,

i was not being too detailed. i was talking about the brake and hub are the same as the 1200's but yes the stem is smaller.