Register now to get rid of these ads!

what car did you learn to drive in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Apr 16, 2010.

1. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

The first thing I ever drove was a '54 5 window pick-up. It was my brothers and I was thirteen years old.

2. 100e duncan

100e duncan
    from scotland

austin mini mayfair 1989

3. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

1989 Nissan Sentra :)

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

33 years ago, 1955 Ford F-100 straight 6, 3 on the tree. MISS that truck!

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

6. metalman

metalman

Started out at about 6 or so steering this between the hay rows in granny gear and the throttle pulled a tad out, wasn't big enough to reach the pedals, the end of the row Dad would jump in and turn it around down the next row. Soon as I could reach the pedals (8 or 9) I was following combines thru the field, then running to the barn to dump the grain. Tough enough to learn to drive a clutch + had to learn to double clutch at the same time!
    Chevy44_2003_004.jpg
    Bought the same age I was running all over the farm in my Dads 50 Chevy 1/2 ton.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm.... The Flintstone car..

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Almost, at 5- '51 Reo flatbed- Gramps was running the baler, and my uncle and a couple other guys were loading the bales on the flatbeds, the Reo was next- I kept bugging my uncle, can I go get the Reo, huh, huh? Finally he says yeah, go get it (yeah sure). I actually did know how to start it, got down on the floor and pushed the foot starter with my hands. Gramps stopped to take a whiz, heard the truck running but nobody in the window, then I popped up- my uncle got his ass chewed good :(
    First thing I actually drove, International 340 Utility with a loader at 7, uncle on the fender to work the clutch. Then my dad brought home a go-kart... Started with a 2hp Clinton, slowest kart at the hayfield track. Pretty soon it had a West Bend, then 2 of them- of course, still 7, I was only allowed to ride it with 1 engine running- but again, I knew how to start them. Stopped at the far end of the track, started #2, and got two turns before flipping it, I'm underneath hollering my head off, got my butt blistered by Pops once he knew I was only scuffed up- Pops got his ass reamed but good when we got home and my Mom wanted to know where I got the raspberries and bruises- kart got hung on the garage wall for about 6 months :mad:
    Really learned how in Gramp's '66 Dodge 3/4 ton at 11, turned me loose in a 32 acre field in the spring, and I was driving a two-stick 10-wheeler by that fall, following the combines around

9. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

My dad's jacked up F-150 overcorrected on my first turn on the way out to the desert and hung the front end off of the overpass above I-70.

10. Casey J

Casey J
    from Ada. MN

My buddy's '63 Nova 4 door

11. rambling

rambling

moms 1983 cavi z24 lol tore the crap out of that car....sorry mom

12. pigpen1

pigpen1

54 Pontiac my dad gave it to me when I was 12, did my first engine change cause mom had stuck a rod thru the block. dad always said it was the last 54 made , as he picked it up at the factory and the one behind it was a 55.

13. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

My 64 Falcon, as a matter of fact its the SAME FRIGGIN CAR thats in my avatar that I am rebuilding- except it had the 170 I6 and 4 on the floor

14. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

How about a 1935 Willys, plus on gravel roads. Would love to have it now even tho it was a 4 dr. sedan. :0)

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

16. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

...a 1998 sebring...it was an ex girlfriend's mom's car and she picked me up and we went to a friend's and had some beers and she couldn't drive anymore so I told her I had driven before and we went cruisin around...

17. Krahnic

Krahnic

My first car was a model A tractor conversion when I was 10. Then, the 60 Panhead when I was 13. I unfortunately sold the model A to buy Harley parts. Still have the panhead 31 years later. I have owned all my vehicles longer than I have ever been with one woman.

18. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I was 15 and learned to drive in a 1954 Buick Special with standard (3 speed) transmission.

19. mrtrimmier

mrtrimmier

Learned to drive on my then new (1975-age 10) Honda XR-75, then onto cars with a '65 Clark Cortez motorhome and '64 Corvair Monza 'vert my Dad had restored... Latch key kid and they were in the driveway...
    Stuff would get low on gas so I'd have to drive 6 miles to the gas station on the "real" roads. All this by age 13. Good thing I was so tall!!! :0)
    Never got busted and my Dad was cool about it when I blew the clutch up on the Corvair tearing ass around on the local dirt roads... Great memories!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  20. I learned to drive in mother's '02 Suzuki Cultus station wagon. Automatic, straight 4 and a 20 degree dead-zone in the steering. Getting over a hill required a hail Mary. Two years ago mother put the little thing in the back of a highway patrol car. After that she got a '98 Oldsmobile 88, which has done more to destroy my respect for GM than anything else.

21. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

66 Impala my GF at the time was a junior and I was a freshman. She had me driving that car all over town for several months.

22. Original57

Original57

I learnt to drive in my old man's 77 ZH Fairlane. Worked 351, FMX, 9". Had more pull than a 13 year old with his first "stickbook". He kept the standard wheel/tyre combo and single pea shooter exhaust on it to keep em guessin'. You could barely even hear it runnin'. ;)

23. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

1970 Lemans ...

24. Parents '66 T-Bird and the family wagon. Then I finished my training in my first car, a '57 Chevy. I think I can still drive the '57 as well as anything I own today because I just have a "feel" for it.

25. ... in this 48 Chevy pictured with my dad in the early 60's.
    My dad painted it tan and black with a brush,...cool car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  26. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

83 Mustang convert.
    HO 5.0 5speed
    This was back in 1985-86, so it was a fast factory car at the time.
    It was my moms, but my dad would let me take it out once in a while after I got my license......It would burn those TRX radials until you let off the gas!!
    My folks still have it in their pole shed......Someday I hope to teach my son to drive in it.

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

1973 Ford Maverick 4 door during High Schools Drivers Ed. class. Yuck! Took my drivers test at the DMV in a 70 Monte Carlo :cool:

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad's 66 Mustang notchback coupe. Straight six, slush box, dog slow. Looked exactly like this without the V-8 badge on the front fender:

[​IMG]

29. I learned to drive between my grandpas '66 Bronco and my (bought when I was 14) '63 galaxie 500. There was a lot of fun between those two old rigs.

30. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I have to answer that in two parts. I learned how to drive an automatic when I was 15. It was my dad's ford van - ya know, the one with all the windows...lol I think it was a '71 if I remember right.

Then I learned to drive a stick that same year in the summer. It was my best friend's dad's '54 ford f-100, which by the way, I burned the piss out of the clutch in that poor things. Literally, when I came to a stop at the end of my "lesson" there was smoke rising from under the truck that smelled like asbestos.

I remember my first hill in that same lesson...omg! I was at a stop at the top of the hill - foot on the brake, other foot on the clutch - the light turned green and I hit the gas. When I started to roll back down the hill, my friend started raising his voice, seemingly in time with the rpm, "Let go of the clutch!" So I did and burned rubber almost all the way up the hill...LMAO...what a day.

I still feel sorry for that truck. Later that same summer, his dad sold the truck...gee I wonder why ;)