Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP, Y block into 53 Ford customline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead221, Jan 6, 2011.

1. flathead221

flathead221

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HI Hambers

I have just bought a 239ci Y block from a 54 truck and intend transplanting It Into my 53 customline as I've killed my flathead.

I've read through some of the archives here at the H.A.M.B and found some useful Information from people fitting this engIne Into earlier shoeboxes but I would like to know some specifics that I'm not 100% sure of regarding the swap.
    I would sure like to hear from any one who has done this swap.

Will new engIne bolt straight to my original 53, 3 speed overdrive trans?
    Is clutch mechanism and trans Input shaft the same between 53 and 54 cars?

Engine should have truck oil pan (haven't seen It yet) which I think has the main bulk of the oil pan at the rear does this still need notching to clear my X-member?

I understand that centre drag link fouls oil pan, what would be the best solution: notching oil pan or fabricating U shaped centre link? If notching oil pan does oil pickup need relocating?

Y blocks In 54 cars have a front mounted engIne steady Is this Important?

Thanks for your time Lee
    [/FONT]

DETONATORS CC

2. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

yes your going to need a truck pan and oil pickup tube.i would go with a 272 or 292 from 57-59.more refined and better proformance.yes use the front mount.

3. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think it would be the same as y in a 51 car.Years ago put a 312 in the 51 car.The truck oil pan needed,i bought motor mounts that bolt up to front of motor.dist will hit fire wall.The tie rod was welder with gusets with rebar round stock and drop down few inches.After that cut out middle as much as posible or you may not be able to turn all the way.

4. flathead221

flathead221

hotrodstude. Thanks for info, I already bought 239 engine with a fairly recent rebuild, triple 94's and a load of tarty dress up items, as it came up for sale for sensible money for over here in the U,K (less than a flathead needing a rebuild)

George. Thanks for your input. job should be very similar to 51 car as front suspension setup uses mostly same parts. i hadn't thought

5. flathead221

flathead221

George. Thanks for your input. job should be very similar to 51 car as front suspension setup uses mostly same parts. i hadn't thought about dizzy.

Lee

DETONATORS cc