Register now to get rid of these ads!

There's An App For That

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok.....for those of that who are stuck in a world of naivety, and have thus far chosen toonly use a mobile phone purely as a phone, can someone explain/offer some pro's & con's of these iphones please?

I appreciate/understand that....

* an iphone (or similar) offers similar features as a laptop, phone, camera, just combined in one small compact (ie userfriendly) package.

* there are many 'applications' available for them alowing you access to various net sites fluently, and allow you to 'trim' the process required to achieve the desired end result

So, on face value this is great, but what are the downsides?

eg 1 - is it practical from a users perspective, that you can easily view, and type etc (I have big fingers and ageing eyes:rolleyes::D)

eg 2 - will I find myself continually 'distracted' by these great devices/features that I'll never be able to hold a decent conversation without wanting to look at the phone at the same time...;):D

eg 3 - can you use the PM feature fluently like as if it's a text message?

The 'freedom' it offers is appealing, and I can imagine the way it will change process, from the 'live' element, to the transfer of information (both as a supplier and consumer), with the 'ripples in the water' effectively changing how we do business (g'day Janet;):)). So, that alone makes it tempting to go and buy one, but just trying to decide if I should do so 'now', or like the latest TV, hold off a bit till things establish themself a bit first, your thoughts?

Cheers, and thanks Ryan in advance,

Drewfus

2. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

You're right. That is rad. Or at least it has serious potential to be rad.

I look forward to seeing it employed, not just in event coverage, but in quickly uploaded images to illustrate "what is this" and "will this work in my build" questions asked by people still standing in front of the thing whose picture they just uploaded in the junkyard or the barn or the field ...

... and maybe even getting answers to those questions while they are still standing there!

How rad would THAT be?

:cool:

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Was your life hellish and incomplete before the development of the internet?
    Personally, I miss the good old days before we were all techno-slaves in our own homes. People actually knew their neighbors, kids rode bikes and used their imagination, and all our oil came from Texas. :cool:

All in all, a smartphone is just the latest distraction. In a few years, they will have been replaced with the next "latest and greatest" thing, and hand held smartphones will be as passe as kids wearing parachute pants and carrying gigantic portable stereo radios on their shoulders..... But for now, they're kinda fun.

I had an iPhone 3G, replaced it with a Droid [HTC Evo 4G]. Personally, I think the droid is superior. Persoanl preference.

If you just cant get enough technology, your gonna love a smartphone. If you actually miss the days when we went to the library and got our information out of a book, then no smartphone will make you happy.

4. Diesel627

Diesel627

Hells yeah!! I'm super stoked an posting from the app right now! 1.99 is totally worth it! Thanks Ryan. The best part def. Will be being able to do a build thread from my phone an not having to deal with uploading to the computer, then resizing on photo bucket, then loading to the site. Also posting classifieds on the fly will be cool too!

5. crazydays

crazydays

Just needed an excuse to redeem that iTunes gift card I got for Christmas. Downloaded!

6. What a scandal! 2.50 australian dollars! I thought it was 1.99, haha.

Oh well, I've spent more on a pie, so no worries, Now i can view the Hamb alot easier on my phone, when in the shed, at work, out and about, at the tavern, or fishing. hah.

7. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

What the benefit for putting it on my iPad? I'm on mine now, but see no reason to load an app when I have the real site already on here! help me out plz!

8. big creep

big creep

wow this sucks big time!!!! well the only good thing is that i save 2 bucks. downside no app for my blackberry!:(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  9. neat clip, lots of gidgits and gadjets piled into one little bundle, I have been living in the dark...

probably...and still is:D

Miss them? I'm still there....don't you go to the library to use their internet and to hit on all the hot girls?;):D

Cheers,

Drewfus

10. Haha

its closer to the middle ;)

The only reason I ask is is this gonna be ok for classified? How long will the image stay on the server?

11. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Droid

I have an iPod is that any good ??:)

12. hairyteeth

hairyteeth

Been lookin hard for another car. This app makes checkin the classifieds real easy all day long! Thanks!

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

if it's an iPod touch.

14. RPM

RPM

Another vote for Droid.................Just got off the I Phone it sucked.

15. Just downloaded it for my iPod touch.
    I'll prolly put it on dads iPad also.

It's a bit easier to read on mine, and I don't have to zoom so much to make sure to poke the right button

Just skip a large fry tomorrow and your even

Best things so far
    1 it loads faster
    2 It doesn't reload the index after every single thread I read

16. big creep

big creep

that i do have but no camera on it!

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I have both, but kind of hard to even look at the touch, now that I have the pad!:D
    Ohh well, it'll be on both so it's only a buck an apple product! :D

18. bardwell02

bardwell02
    from Dallas, TX

Awesome... I'm excited thinking about all the extra time I'll have to do stuff around the house, now that I can surf the H.A.M.B. on my iPhone all day at work. So it's really not affecting my productivity at all!

19. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I vote for a droid app also.....PLEASE

20. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

I beginning to realize known what lost in the 60's really means.

21. patina steve

patina steve

Droid app too.............Please

22. It's way better for uploading pics, rather that uploading it to photobucket and then copy the link...

23. Since it's Tapatalk, why not? The rebranding cost? If that's the case can the non-iOS guys purchase the "generic" Tapatalk app for their platforms and hook in to the HAMB/FordBarn/etc.?

Which of you Android or Blackberry guys is going to be the first to take the chance at using the non-Jalopy Journal version?

http://www.tapatalk.com/mobile.php

24. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Right on! I'm on here now.[​IMG]

25. slim53

slim53

Can we expect to see similar apps for the rest of the Atomic network? Not that it matters to me as I'm a Droid user about to be a Windows Mobile user.

Slim

26. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

The plot thickens ...

and the anticipation ...

is ...

palpable.

:cool:

27. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

I Love This New Feature!
    Love the Icon Too .. Similar to One of My Photos - "Slick"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  28. 719kustoms

719kustoms

Just trying it out!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ[​IMG]

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

YEA! I have tons of free apps, but this is my FIRST paid one. Jumped right on and paid up. Anxious to play around with it.

Cool!

30. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

OK, so I downloaded the app and I thought iPhones are supposed to be intuitive.....well I cannot figure out how to post on a thread on the JJ app let alone upload a photo!

A little help here?

Thanks, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.