Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've seen the K9 car run in the '60s at Cherokee Speedway in Gaffney, SC with Bud Lunsford driving it. I've also got pictures of it that I took in Bobby's garage in Alabama back in the early '90s. It's a well built fast super modified! Bobby, do you still have this car?

Buckshot40

2. BKHRS

BKHRS

I'm hoping somebody will be able to help with some answers. Since my parents had no interest in racing and not living near any tracks while growing up in Belmont, MA, my knowledge of the coupes are from this site and some of the books out there. However I haven't found anything on rules about building chassis except that at one point 107" wheelbase became a norm. I just started building my Czarnecki Bros car, but the only pics I have are from the front or 3/4 view front and side, none from the rear. The car ran at Riverside Park (as the 20), Danbury (as the 555) and Islip (as the 555). To build the chassis I was copying the chassis from my Leo Matte tribute car. I took out about 10" from the stock frame. Problem was when I set the body on it for the first time it obvious I have to shorten it a bit more and the wheel base will be a little less than 100".

Was there a wheelbase rule in the 1964/1965 time frame?

Thanks Barry

3. Zoera

Zoera

Is this the car you have?

stefanik20c-vi.jpg

4. Zoera

Zoera

Or back up a few years and you may have this car.

BobBard20-vi.jpg

5. Zoera

Zoera

Another version driven by Jack LeCuyer

20JackLecuyer-vi.jpg

6. flyer

flyer

Early Thompson

Attached Files:

7. Zoera

Zoera

...which may or may not be this same car driven by Bob Stefanik.

[​IMG]

8. BKHRS

BKHRS

This is the one, the last one the Czarnecki Bros, built by themselves, after this one Jake Hafke built them (source: Jake)

9. Zoera

Zoera

Mid sixties version driven by Bobby Bard.

Bard_Bobby20-vi.jpg

10. Zoera

Zoera

These old modifieds were all between 105" and 110" with stock appearing frames. As the years went on, they were lengthened, shortened, zee'd, notched, lowered or raised, but for many years they remained stock frames. I don't think you should have to go under 100", and if so something sounds wrong.

11. markim1

markim1

Terry, I wonder if this was the 33 car 3 abreast start in the early 70's

12. markim1

markim1

Terry, I wish I could tell you. this pic is 71or 72. The Maverick body looks to be 72.
    1973 the group moved on to the WRS at Thompson and Anthony brought in Nascar north.

13. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

One last bit on this. When I was small I used to have a guy Skip Sauer up the street. I used to go to his house and watch him work and load his Sportsman for Middletown. Jimmy Smith, you would see his car at the gas station. My dad would stop in and talk. Lajoie's and so on.

Now, you never see the cars. Last year, Diego Monahan invited my son and I to go to the pits with his modified at Waterford. What a blast. My son raced go karts in Norwalk , out of the house at 6am, raced until 4, then at waterdord until 11pm. And it was cold out. But what I great day.

The new modifieds aren't the coupes, but they are still about the coolest thing on wheels.

So I work hard at getting my son into racing. I think waterford and stafford are really doing better.

14. k9racer

k9racer

In a fit of stupidy I sold the 32 ford sedan and everyday I regret this action. I have tried to buy it back and even offered double plus more money than what he paid and told "not for sale" ,, Bucshot 40 next time you are around come by the shop I still have 6 race cars... Bobby.....

15. parkman01

parkman01
    from Vernon, CT

#8022, I belive this car was originally the Manchester Sand and Gravel #10 Eddie drove for Bill Thornton. It was maroon and white before Eddie aquired the team from Bill. If I am incorrect please let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

16. not much has changed lol, seats all the way by the fence.

17. parkman01

parkman01
    from Vernon, CT

#8033, the #10 is Jimmy Cash. The black and white pic is at Riverside Park.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  18. parkman01

parkman01
    from Vernon, CT

I used to sit in that car every night in the summer while my Dad worked on the car with the guys. Eddie was a great guy.:)

Attached Files:

19. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Does anyone know if that is George Brunnhoelzl Sr. in that #1 at Wall Stadium?

20. Zoera

Zoera

I'm looking for a photo of Moose Hewitt in his white Cavalier #19 from the early nineties. I have the car, I need a photo.

21. parkman01

parkman01
    from Vernon, CT

Eddie also ran a blue paint scheme.

Attached Files:

22. welcome aboard parkman01....all these FNGs running around welcome! Wait till you become grenade inspectors lol

23. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Weedsport Speedway 1974

Attached Files:

24. Willie41

Willie41

Hey Alan, Beleive it or not, Dad still has the helmet he was wearing in this race. It's a Cromwell

25. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

I've got no idea what I'm talking about, but are they the same chassis?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It appears to me that the roll cage is different. For example, the diagonal cross-brace behind the driver in the M S&G car runs from above driver's head downward towards lower right, whereas in white car it runs from lower left to upper right. The front of the cage on the M S&G car has got a pair of vertical tubes behind the conventional, angled A-pillar tubes, whereas the white car has only the conventional angled tubes. The point where the front end of the nerf bar attaches to the chassis is farther forward in the M S&G car.

Perhaps the white car was indeed a former M S&G car, but not the one in this image?

26. daveww1

daveww1

Frankie Schneider
    [​IMG]

27. daveww1

daveww1

28. daveww1

daveww1

29. daveww1

daveww1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.