Register now to get rid of these ads!

Changing shifters on a pushbutton Torque flight ?,.. Any Ideas ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,...

I'm feeling kind'a stupid here,... I am doing a Deuce chassis for a pal that had heart surgery,.. He has a Hemi with a torque flight automatic trans, that is push button controlled,.... He wants a more typical shifter ( like a floor mount Gennie or Lokar).

I tried to do a search on this,... but came up empty,... Besides, I'm home with the Flu and my patience level is really low today.

So How about it?,.... does anyone make a kit or shifter for this application?,...
    I told him to use the push button control,,... Told him it would be cool,....
    But no dice.

Thanks,....

2. the only thing i know of is a factory floor shifter from pre 65 like barracudas, satellites, you can find them in some vans and trucks but they are mounted on the dash in those (same shifter) they have a short handel on them but they look cool

they use the 2 cables just like the push buttons

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks,.. but he wants a more conventional shifter.

4. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Harms, what year make model is the trans from, some have a housing that the cable goes into that bolts onto the trans case, and controls it internally.

5. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Look up the website for imperial services. they have a lot of stuff to adapt old cable shift mopar trannys. ;)

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think he said it was a 1956, 392.

7. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

As Big Bad Dad said, I used the Imperial Services kit for mine a 1972 column shift trans, it uses a clamp style shifter controller, it has a cinch clamp that tightens around the shift selector shaft....this in turn gets controlled by the buttions inside the car...

Imperial Services in Michigan x2 !!:)

8. That is going the wrong way of what he is looking for. I don't think their is a whole big selection for the cable shift to a standard type shifter.

9. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Reading it again, looks like Rodhotz is right on, the stock truck shifter like the 60's models could be built into a fabbed box of sorts, look custom....
    Imperial services may have a kit for that, which is what I was originally thinking you were looking for ( type before thinking )...

But as for a Gennie or Lokar, the regular old late 60's /70's 80's 727 would have to be used, thus throwing and adapter for engine to trans into play.

I am using a truck shifter pod for a 57 Dodge with a Loadflite / Torqueflite....

keeps it clean and neat.
    like so... 57 truck t flite.jpg

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

MBMopar...He doesn't want buttons at all.

Just a thought...I'd like to see how the inside of the PBA trans accepts the input from the button pod and then consider ways to apply its required movement to perhaps a ratchet shifter.
    The buttons all operate one cable and the park lock is operated by the other...I think!
    The cable can only move back and forth so it stands to reason that each button pushes the cable farther and thus selects separate gears.

Like you...wouldn't be MY choice, I'd stay PBA for sure...but you gotta keep the customers happy!

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I think the common solution to the problem is a Turbo Hydromatic 400 :)

Seriously where can you get a Torqueflite rebuilt?
    It was difficult to find a rebuilder the last time I did it.....in 1975

12. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

http://www.ch300imp.com/tqf-sw.htm
    here's a link to a late 50's specific t flite site with alot of pics to get some ideas of where his customers trans is at cable wise...about 1/2 way down on the page they go into cable adjustment

I had a 57 cast iron tflite I was going to use, but the rebuild kit cost was much higher than the alum case 727 I had already, so i ended up selling the cable cast iron trans and rebuilt the alum 72 727 case. I can;t say as I recall how the shift control selector shaft looked on the 57....

That said, again, the issue for a "gennie" style shifter is going to be compatibility , I never looked into them, but I am wondering if most aftermarket shifters are for the 66 and up 727's. and from the pics of them i have seen the shifters bolt onto the case, so the case being a late 50's is not the same style and size as your typical 727

This is going to be alot of research on your end unless you can get his to use the typewriter...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  13. "Seriously where can you get a Torqueflite rebuilt?
    It was difficult to find a rebuilder the last time I did it.....in 1975"

???????????????????
    You bin smokin weed or what?
    The new transmissions still share parts with the old torqueflight. Why the pans even fit. Some of the clutches and plates too.
    First you want to sit down and ask yourself this question? Why are there no aftermarket shifters for the pushbutton trans? I had two race cars with PB s There is nothng better.
    Secondly if you want a conventional floor shifter any floor shift mopar from 62 to 64 will work. Ie a 64 Dodge or plymouth which used the same trans but was floor shifted. those parts are all available. Doesnt matter 6 cyl or 8. Both the little trans and the biggy use the same shifter and valvebody. Early Cudas to before 65 are also donors as are some of the fancy Valiants and Darts of the same years. It is a good looking shifter too but if you wanna win and never miss a pushbutton is unbeatable. How do I know?
    I have one in the garage for winter right now. 63 Dodge max Wedge Auto with PB>
    Another interesting shifter that looks more Hotrod and works as a without mod is from the 62 to 64 motor homes. There is NOTHING goofy about the pushbutton trans. It is identical in every respect to its linkage cousin. It just shifts with a cable.
    Don

14. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Harm's Way..
    Maybe a thought toward a shifter like your friend wants.. I have an old 1974 Dodge 440V8 with Torque Flight 727 trans, in an old RV that has a shifter, with a short arm, on the left side near the driver's window. Runs on a cable and should be able to mount in a good spot. He might check on old RVs sitting around or junked and see if he can locate one at a reasonable or even free cost.. I will take a photo in awhile and post it with this... Just a thought.. duane
    PS.. Hope you get to feeling better soon..:)

Photos now attached... Pardon the dirt.. It is so windy and so dry out here, one can't keep anything clean in the winter..

Attached Files:

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Since we're talking 392 - that typically means "Iron" Torqueflite. They (392's) didn't exist in '56, but that's another issue :)

Iron torqueflite rebuild parts are in fact available, BUT!! are expensive. Nearly 3 bills for a standard kit (clutches - no bands). 4+ bills for a "complete" kit - clutches & bands - not sure if that includes all teh bushings or not - in any event - that's quite a bit more than what you can buy 727 kits for.

Not sure why the "love affair" for the Iron T/F WITHOUT the pushbuttons - that's why I like them, but that to is really here nor there.

There isn't any "magic" in the cable shifter in of itself - I think with some homework you could determine the ratio & throw needed for a lever shifter to work the cable comfortably. The area for concern would be hysteresis in the cable and locking in place for each gear, but I highly doubt those would be insurmountable. I built my own shifter for a PG in my dragster - not the same thing, but similar principles.

16. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

that's the shifter i was thinking of, maybe a custom built upholstered or painted box:cool:

17. ironpile

ironpile

I have a 727 that was behind a 440,it has a conventional shift arm and kick down linkage. I would talk trade if you are interested.

18. ironpile

ironpile

I hate to dispute you,but in my experience the early pb shifter the cable goes into the case and the adjustment is connected to the case . so a case change is in order unless the newer models are different. Also the early shifter was just one cable.Maybe we both can learn something here.

19. Now you are talking pilot hub size differences, again no go unless you use the early pump and converter.

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I think everyone is talking about several different events. The thing I remember about the pushbuttons is there is a feature that takes the pushbuttons back to neutral when the park lever is engaged.This is so you can't put it in park and a gear at the same time.That would be hard to duplicate with two separate cables all in one motion. Now I am not sure that all cast iron trans had a park feature, some may have had only that screwy drum brake.Now if I remember right 61 was the last year for cast iron. Any shifter after that would be for the aluminum only. Could it be adapted to a cast iron box I don't know.
    I can't for the life of me wonder why anyone would want to change it, to each his own. Best of luck.

21. pomonamissel

pomonamissel

you can you the floor type or dash mounted type shifters , might be a little tuff ot get . that style stifter was from the early to mid 60's . in 65 still thad cables but slider output yoke , but in 66 the cables were replaced with mech linkage . but all these tranys need adaptasion to fit the locating pins , the bolts line right up . there are a lot of sources for these . look and you will see . pm

22. my first lesson in 1975 on a 1965 Cuda....hey - don't cut those cables!

still learning stuff....for the record - the 1965 Fury still had an cable operated trannie via the column....BUT was also an open drive!!!....not the ball and cross shaft dillie...

23. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I,ll take those buttons and panel and cables

24. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

To my knowledge there are NO Iron T/F's with a park feature internal to the trans- nuetral only and that drum on the tail gets "park" well sort of. Some shifters did have a "park" lever, but my understanding is that goes to the drum.

Yeah whatever you do - DON'T cut the cable!!!

25. yeah the 2 65 belvedere 2 's and my 65 coronet 440 i had were column shifted via cables they still had the ball and trunion joint on the front of the driveshaft my 2 65 statellites had the auto floor shifter and my 65 coronet 500 was a 4 speed

26. I have a cable type floor shift from a 65 chrysler 300 L, I am thinking It would work. Looks pretty cool to . PM me I will send some pics.