Register now to get rid of these ads!

so how many of guys bring your little guys to the shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by left coast rod & custom, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

My 5 year old son comes into the shop, he likes my rides and the current build is his but I can't say he's just absolutely nuts about cars. He sounds like his momma alot when we talk about them (clueless LOL). He has helped me couple of times, recently got to remove a set of rockers with the air ratchet and thought that was the coolest thing.

My buddies son is consumed by a love for station wagons of all things. He can tell you every wagon and year, it's a riot.

That's ok though, my boy is smart as a whip and really artistic so who knows what the future holds? If it's not him them maybe my daughter will catch the bug...I'm trying real hard to give it to one of them.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In my experience, where ever I am, or whatever I'm doing, she wants to be part of it. I think she REALLY likes the shop because mommy doesnt go out there, and on some level, she realizes I am sharing my "private domain" with her.

3. dt50chev

dt50chev

My 2 year old son is obsessed with cars. Too young to work in the shop, but loves to ride in Daddy's truck and playing with tools. He cries every time we leave a car show. I have of course indoctrinated him some, but he really does have a love for mechanical things. My dad lked old cars but was more into woodworking and gardening. I hope that I can spend lots of hours with my son in the shop in the years to come. My daughter is 13 and lkes old cars some (55-58 chevies). I would like to build her one in a few years, I don't know how interested she will be in working on the project though.

4. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

My son is almost 10 and he has been going to the shop with me since day 1

[​IMG]

5. Yeah, mine is now 23 years and just graduated from college. But I hauled him to the shop during his "formative years". Must of paid off because now he can do much of the stuff himself - built an engine and auto tranny. He marvels at all those "educated" goof balls who couldn't change their own oil......

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

so how many of guys bring your little guys to the shop??

I would but they've been in the wifes purse for 15 yrs!

7. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

8. Paul B

Paul B

My sons always help me out .The oldest more than the younger one.Had jr. out there with me since he could walk. They both moved to Fla. now my wife gives me a hand when i need it. She knows more than her two brothers, but thats another story LOL

9. You young guys keep those kids out there as much as you can. Son was good with his hands at an early age. Both of his grandfathers were mechinest. I think he got brain genes from them. They grow up before you know it and are gone. my son is 45 now and I wish he was closer so he could get this junk fixed.

10. Apparently not enough he is still dragging them in, Now a 53 Ford & said here Dad got us something, as he unloaded it & headed back home to the city ??scratch head??

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

I let my Grandson help me replace the door weather stripping on my 56 Chevy 2 door. He told my wife that was the most fun he's ever had. He loves to ride in my cars. He's a gearhead for sure.

12. whynot7025

whynot7025
    from florida

he loves to help

Attached Files:

13. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

My 6 yr old was always eager to work on the racecar with me and she is starting to get into the hot rods now. Got another 20 month old daughter that will be in the shop this summer. Its funny some of the ideas kids come up with. Wish I was a kid again!

Attached Files:

14. my little guy is with me 24/7.

15. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

My son is 12, and loves cars...he has a '57 Chevy Belair that was mine in high school. He spent the week before Christmas with me in the shop, and kept himself busy with a pinstriping brush and a couple cans of One-Shot. After two days of playing around, he striped my old air compressor and it looks great!

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

From the start my son has been in the garage with me.
    Now, he's nearly 37, and I get to work in his shop!
    It's much bigger and nicer than mine, but I do have a key!
    The relationship you establish when they're little will be key to your relationship with them for the rest of your life!
    We dragged home a new project last Wednesday night, and my 2 year old Granddaughter thinks it's her Baby Blue Hotrod!
    What a great feeling to have 3 generations out in the shop. My son is Gearhead 66 on the H.A.M.B.

17. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

My little guy was born In to this hot rod thing as I was. Cant keep him out of garage. He has no idea what I have instore for him Ha Ha.

Attached Files:

18. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

Kids and cars go hand and hand in my house. the oldest one likes to help the others just like to play and go to the cruisenights. and we also enjoy hanging out with our idols when ever we can also.

Attached Files:

19. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I get to bring mine to work with me every day.

20. ritchj

ritchj

I'm always up for a little brain made of Play-Doh*, don't have or want any of my own, but the neighborhood kids are usually welcome.

Couple of weeks ago a friends kid came over to make something for grandpa, who happened to have the nickname 'Mushroom,' and liked to garden.

My little friend was hesitant through the entire process cutting, wheeling, shrinking, and stretching, and then attaching the stem and making the spots with the mig however; on Christmas day when gramps got to see his 'shroom - it was a totally different story, like the minnow that turned into jaws! Gramps loved it, and the 'artist,' walked on clouds the rest of the day. 'See grandpa, I signed and dated it like a real artist,' or so I'm told that is what was said.

[​IMG]

*I'm of a mind that Legos and Erector sets should some with photos of what is possible, not step by step by step instructions to follow.

21. My granddaughter. If you can make out what's on the shirts it was a mere coincidence. She also helps out in the office, note the glasses worn when going over the books. She also wanted me to tell everyone she wishes them a Happy New Year. She had just come in from a party and getting ready to hit the sack.

Attached Files:

22. malibloc

malibloc

My son doesn't Like plastic tools and my truck doesn't like Mason with real tools, he's 2 get my drift

23. nali

nali

Never too young to begin ..

[​IMG]

He s older now :)

[​IMG]

24. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

For sure! Its all about grooming the next generation to carry all of this on. Dont just bring them, teach them. Boy or girl by the way.

25. oh yeah!!! did I mention my son who's six (in the photos) has a 50 hudson coupe!! my homie in lodi hooked me up with a 53 front clip so we can build him a real doc hudson. his favorate charictor in cars!! hopefully he will brake free of that shit when he's older and let me chop it and customize it!! just got an OG set of unity spot lights for it THANKS CHUCKLES!!

26. nali

nali

You re lucky he didn t want Mater :)

27. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

he was 3 months in this pic he's 14 months now. he like s going in to the shop to look around at all the stuff.

[​IMG]

also my 17 yr old making a patch panel for her 1962 Falcon.

[​IMG]