Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-100 tire/wheelwell center

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Jan 3, 2011.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

I want to center up the wheel in the well. How far do I move it forward and from what point to where do I move it. I am using an aftermarket frontend. Is there a standard amount in this application? Thanks!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Touchdowntodd, just did his uni.... said he moved his 2.5" forward.

Check his thread....

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

4. rainh8r

rainh8r

Most I've seen move the 53-56 front end forward 1 1/2". Or you can move it about 4" and move the wheel well forward too, which looks great.

5. LastChance

LastChance

Seen many set forward about 1 1/2 inches from axle center. If you are using the stock frame there should be some rivets on top that you can get a base reference off of. That is off a 53-56 frame though.

6. dirtracer

dirtracer

Sorry, I forgot to include the year. It is 1953 F-100. Is the bump stop the center line? All of the original front suspension is already gone so I cannot use it as a reference.

7. Larry T

Larry T

Most of the crossmember kits and No Limit Volare instructions say 1 1/4". I don't guess you see a 1/4" though.
    Larry T

8. clipped56

clipped56
    BANNED

I have never gone wrong with an inch forward. i like the inch and a quarter suggestion also. this is to account for caster. on a straight axle vehicle caster is never affected. but on an independant style front end the naturaul movement of the wheel under load. i.e motor, front sheet metal, occupants, is rearward. so the vehicle might look great unladen but put the weight on the suspension and stand back in disgust if you dont add the inch. Trust me.

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I used a big square and a Sharpie and did a layout on the fenders-splitting the opening. If I remember corectly, I worked from the centers of the upper radii. Result= 1 1/4 ". Then I moved the entire opening forward 3". The axle had to move 4 1/4".

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I was thinking I did 1 1/2" on mine, but I followed No Limits video, so maybe 1 1/4. If I were doing over I would for sure do the 4" and move the wheel opening in the fender to match. Best look for an effie in my opinion.

11. I bought the template from Bob's F100. Measured 1 1/4" forward. The template helped. Just laid it out at the rivit points. Before I did all that I measured the making sure it was straight & square. very little cutting. I did not cut with a torch but with a cut off wheel for a cleaner cut.

I still have the template uncut if anyone needs a copy PM me.