Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. 73RR

73RR

The Dak is a better choice ; 1) it is newer, plenty strong for a DD, less wear and tear, and
    2) the 64 still has the retaining nut on the axle.

Is the Dak a 5-speed?

2. aguynamedcj

aguynamedcj

I'm sorry.... I'm having a hard time checking out the collage as I can't seem to avert my eyes from the Good lookin' woman in the back seat! ;)

3. aguynamedcj

aguynamedcj

Here's my '55 Belvedere 4-dr Sedan. 6 cylinder with three speed column shift w/overdrive. I'm looking for a manual for the car and transmission.

Someone told me the '56 was a 12 volt system. Can anybody confirm that?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  4. <1955 = 6vdc
    1956> = 12vdc

5. aguynamedcj

aguynamedcj

Thanks, Pat. I guess that settles it. Were there any major changes in the components, or did the same parts work on both the six and twelve systems? Seems like I don't find many changes between the two years models.

6. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

miss mine, well, not gone, but motor kinda went south, 270 hemis, 55 royal custom...

Attached Files:

• 158.jpg
      158.jpg
      File size:
      583.9 KB
      Views:
  7. GaryS

GaryS

Years ago, when a 270 manual transmission, '55 Plymouth was my daily driver, I bought a 277 PowerFlite, '56 for a parts car and converted the '55 to a 12 Volt system. Every part change was a bolt-in, but I did initially screw up and didn't think to change the gas gauge. I took a trip soon after the swap and nearly ran out of gas when the gauge was reading half-full.

I don't recall every part that needed changing, but it was sort of like the question about how many pins are in a new shirt...one more than you think.

8. GaryS

GaryS

I'm still gathering ideas and information about my '56 Belvedere project, and have a question about one possible issue.

I want to change the steering column to an aftermarket tilt version, like a Flaming River, but if I keep the stock steering box the long shaft would have to be cut and some way joined to the Flaming River replacement. Has anyone done this before? If so, did you cut and spline, or double-D, the stock shaft? Or did you find a more modern steering box that you were able to adapt?

9. 55HYFIRE

55HYFIRE

Anyone know where to find a rebuild kit for a 55 plymouth manual steering box? Thanks! -justin

10. GaryS

GaryS

11. Rusty-Rocker

Rusty-Rocker

I found this one,just couln't resist buying it the body is such great shape.
    But now there is no room to keep it so I'm going to sell.
    400 engine 727 tranny.

Attached Files:

12. We have one we couldn't resist A 56 Coronet more door Red Ram V8 all original but now need to sell to pay bills:( $750 in MO. Would love to put it back on the road for cruising. PM for pics & more info

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  13. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to a great new year of working on our cars and getting them done! Bring on 2011! Here's mine in it's current state under construction in the shop. Motor is out ready for the new motor and trans..soon! I hope to have it done for Eagle Field 2011. What do you guys have planned this year for you 55-56 Plymouths?

Attached Files:

14. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

15. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Here is mine. It is a 54 and not a 55 or 56 but it will have 55 Plymouth tail lights in it before long. I shaved the rear door handles and have it in primer as I work on the dings and dents.
    Dustyoldbodyman has been doing some sketches for me and guiding me as to what could be done with this mor door.
    [​IMG]

I was going to put this 73 400bb in it but couldn't make it work without changing the front steering completely because the steering gear box is in the way. If someone has a use for it and the 77 trans i was going to use in it,I have about $700 in it. I changed the gaskets including the head gaskets and installed an Offenhouser 4bbl intake on it. Let me know if you would want it.

[​IMG]

16. Sebban

Sebban
    from Sweden

Hi y'all!
    First off, english were one of many classes I skipped in school, sorry.. Hope you understand me anyways. This is my -55 sport coupe belvedere. In the 70's it had a 331 hemi and 4 on the floor and a 8 3/4" rear axle wich is the only thing thats left from the drivetrain, also the steering box is moved into the frame to make headers fit. This car had a rough life in its past, and I think I'll go more highschool custom on this one with a bit of shaving and lowering and a nice paintjob. But we'll see..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. GaryS

GaryS

Here's the way my '56 Belvedere looked a couple of months ago. It's now mostly disassembled and the body will soon be on its way to be dip cleaned. Most of the stainless has been straightened and polished, and the chrome pieces are waiting to be hauled in for replating. I'm also identifying sources for all the stock replacement parts I will need to order, and gathering what parts I can find locally

I'm trying to make a decision on whether to mate a Dakota front frame with the Plymouth frame. Since it will have a later model LA engine and aluminum case transmission, it looks like the best way to go, especially since the Plymouth has a very worn steering box and the front end needs a complete rebuild.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  18. GaryS

GaryS

FWIW, I made a simple TurboCad sketch of the Plymouth and '92 Dakota frames from the factory service manuals and then overlaid them. It looks encouraging.
    [​IMG]

torch2099 likes this.
  19. koolkemp

koolkemp

I really like your car nice work !!

Imz14u likes this.
  20. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

21. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

Hey DeadSled, leaving us with just one pic of your car is a crime. Lets see some more. I could use some motivation to pull my wagon out from under the the 3 foot snow drift in my driveway.

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

X2 that car looks too nice to only see one pic !

23. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

I`m New to the uploading of Pictures!!! I will get some more up tonight.
    Thanks guy`s

24. classy eh

classy eh
    from Canada

Here's a pic of my '56 Dodge Regent I picked up last year for $1800. Paint, body and interior were already done. Has a 251 flattie with a powerflight tranny. I'm slowly going to build it up as a 50's kustom.

Attached Files:

25. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

26. Joebill

Joebill
    from Tennessee

I bought this '55 Plymouth Savoy (4 door) a couple of years ago and unfortunately haven't been able to even get started. First it was work taking up all my time, then I lost my job and had to conserve money. Now I could probably get started, but I don't have a garage or even a driveway. The car is currently sitting in the parking lot of the school behind my house.

Honestly, I haven't even gotten around to just checking it out as much as I'd like (I like to know as much as I can about something) but at $600, I couldn't pass it up. One way or another, I plan to start on it soon.

[​IMG]

27. GaryS

GaryS

every time I see a '55 four door Savoy, I wonder if mine will ever show up in some enthusiast's driveway. When I sold it in Seattle in the late 60's, the body was still immaculate. I hope your restoration plans work out.

28. mpineapple1967

mpineapple1967
    from puyallup

my parking brake saved my ass one day when i came off the freeway at 70 and found out in short order my single master had lost a seal.
    i do trust it on hills just make sure the dogs and locking arm are good on the hand brake lever.

29. mpineapple1967

mpineapple1967
    from puyallup

is the '69 camaro front clip a good fit? how was the swop? im updating a 55 dodge hard top and a swop like this will make life alot cheeper! id like to talk to you if your game. thanks marc

30. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Hey guys just chiming in here after a while of just working on the car trying to get it going for spring! I got the new motor and transmission in. I just got the transmission mount figured out, now to put in the 8 3/4 rear and get a drive shaft made for it. here is a current pic of the new 383 golden commando motor in with the dual quad setup sitting on top. What do you guys think?

Attached Files: