Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cigar smokers & customs. Have you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jan 3, 2011.

1. So, I have a job that is on going for a gentlemen that is a real eccentric.

My questions:

Do you smoke cigars in your customs? Does anyone have a humidor in their car? Have you come up with a clever way to disquise or modify your humidor, cutter, or ashtray?

I'm working on a custom... I have three dashes and they are all shit. So needless to say, I need to customize the dash. So... I figured if I'm going to make it custom, why not really make it custom. I may make a few things pop out of the dash too... and while my noodle was starting to smoke with go go gadget ideas, I figured I'd ask if anyone out here in Hamb land has also had some fun with this? Thanks...

I'm not looking to steal any ideas either, I have some far out ideas of my own... not sure what will fly or hit the cutting room floor. Really just wondering if anyone has done it? I'm sure you maniacs have.

Heading out to garage, check back with you guys... Thanks again.

2. DrJ

DrJ

The ONLY person who likes the smell of a cigar is the parson smoking it, and some times they don't either and are just posing.
    You put a humidor in a custom and you might as well only put a driver's seat in it.

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Interesting......what kinda car? I keep thinking rear seat center console for the humidor. But I suppose unlike a dry bar it would be better off in reach of the driver..

4. A few years back I was at a lowrider show and i saw a few "cigar accessories" one was a little machine thing clipped to a vent window that had a cutter and a snuffer.

it kind of looked like a little figure 8... one side cut and the other side snuffed.

other than that, i think it would be classy to just have a vintage cigar box under the seat

5. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

i thought about that one time, my buddy loves a good cigar. we talked about having one pop out of the dash, maybe using an old comb holder from a barber shop. ( maybe without the formaldehyde) You know, 60's style custom, if some is good, more is better. EXCESS!

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

There was a cigar smoking guy pretending to be interested in my T RPU at Ponona, a couple of years ago.

He was pretty sloppy about it.

Getting ashes all over himself, everybody around him, and my car.
    ( the smell of the bullshit was worse than his cigar...)

7. Not true. My wife buys me cigars because she likes the smell.

I guess disguising the humidifier is a matter of personal taste. If you were building a late '50s early '60s custom you wouldn't hide the record player or television would you? Some high end customs had telephones between the seats as well. so who is to say that someone with a custom didn't put a humidifier or an ashtray in one?

8. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I love a good cigar. I loved to cruise in my 56 up PCH with a nice Punch or Rocky Patel. So much so that when I built my Hot Rod, I left the ashtray when I sectioned the dash. My plans were similar to what porknbeaner said, put a humidor somewhat in your face in the interior along with all the gaudy accessories you would see in a late fifties custom rod. Alas when I finally got to drive the car it proved to be a bit more of a handful than the 56...dunno if a cigar would be relaxing or not..

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

God there is nothing worse then the smell of cigars or cigarettes for that matter. Why isn't cool to smoke pipes with cherry tabackie in there. Those smell great!

I think putting a Humidor though would be a nice classy touch in a custom. I like those oddball tricks that tailor to the owner. I mean how stoked would you be if you bought an old car only to find some cool touches like that? I've heard of radiators being used to haul moonshine. That also would be a cool thing to find.....I mean that's sort of why I started that idiosyncrasies thread.

Let's see some pics.

11. 53chevy

53chevy

I enjoy a good cigar too, Perdermo, Insignia, etc...I can't come to grips smoking in my car, but around it, no big deal. Maybe use the tissue dispenser, it should be good enough to hold a couple. Plus it swings out and there are several types out there too. Remember to line it with Spanish cedar and air tight too. Good luck...Oh my friends and girlfriend love the smell of my cigars, just like anything else, theres good and there's shit, right?(hahaha)

Ken

12. 100% Matt

100% Matt

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

I've got a few really nice old pipes I've picked up over the years and have been known to smoke one everyonce in a while in the privacy of my own home. Until I get some salt and pepper hair or a receding hairline or a lot more years under my belt, there really is no cool way to pull off smoking a pipe. Everyone loves the smell, but you end up looking like a poser.

But a good cigar on the other hand, there's nothing quite like it and I disagree, there are a lot of folks who enjoy the smell of a fine cigar.

Coincidentally, January 1st marked one year without cigarettes for me.

Oh, and I like the idea of a real Spanish cedar lined humidor on the dash or in a console... maybe in an arm rest? Spring loaded?

14. studhud

studhud

The headliners in all my cars are just gross lets just say I smoke a few cigars.

Dave Hitch

15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Ah...I knew if I stuck with this thread for long enough I find something worth reading. Well done to you, Gigantor. You are by far and away through the worst of it. Keep up the good work.

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I don't smoke myself, but if he wants to smoke in his car and enjoy it, who cares if someone else doesn't want to ride in it, they can walk!! it's his car not theirs,

18. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I think that would look super classy in the right car, maybe the middle arm rest in a bench seat or just the center console, just a legitimate miniature humidor with space for a few cigars that pops up and open when pressed, that type of mechanism. I feel like it would take alot of room out of the dash and clutter it, something semi discreet would look kool and not too flashy,

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think your best bet would be to look on some of the low rider sites, especially the ones catering to bombs, they always seem to have the cool stuff like that on there,

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old pipe smoke smell is the absolute worst!! Bought a truck from a pipe smoker and I never could get rid of the smell. Sold it in less than a week. Humidor idea, I like it. Just a timely gadget for a kustom that might just fit the personality. I'm thinking the idea of a 50s-60s tissue dispenser is working. Instead of trying to line it with regular cedar you could get some mahogany veneer and line the inside with that. Same look, nice ribbony grain, easy to work with. It would look the part which is probably the final goal. I can't imagine a humidor that actually worked the right way 24/7 in a car. Mel, you know enough about wood and grain patterns if I recall correctly. A couple square feet of ribbon cut mahogany and...

21. I smoked a pipe in the car quite a bit when I was a young man. Funny thing about the privacy of your own car, the local constabulary still said it wasn't legal. I guess it has to do with the brand of tobacco you use, I always prefered imported. :eek:

22. Holy shit... this is at the 2nd page already. Hahahaa...

Well, I'm inside again... I just layed out the metal to fill the dash... and guess what? Some bastard friend borrowed my electric metal snips! Fuggggg. I'm to spoiled to cut it with a cutting wheel. So I'm searching online for some goodies instead. Hahaaa...

23. Racrdad

Racrdad

All the stink / no stink aside, I think its a pretty cool idea!!

24. Let me fill you in on some details...

The car is for a surgeon... he is a nut.

Every time he shows up over here, 4 Italion giants get out of their rigs with cigars in hand. So, I believe all his buds like to smoke. I'm not sure if they smoke in the car... but they are always ready once hanging outside of the cars.

This guy owns a Ford GT, mazeratii's, a monster truck, limo, motorcycles, you name it.

Car I'm working on is a Merc more door. I talked him into a hardtop so it wouldn't look so foor doorish. Hahahaaaa...

Dash will house the humidor as I don't want a lot of clutter. I believe it will slide out, and humidor will be able to be removed. I had some old Ludwig material laying around, so I believe I am going to lay down some mother of pearl around the cluster. Also need to make a tiny little console to house the guages and switches... which will also get the mother of pearl to tie it all in.

25. Oh, interior will be all leather too... incase these nuts wanna have a little toke. I'm sure it will still smell, reguardless of leather verse cloth.

Not my car...

He can afford to re-do whatever he wants too.

26. There will be an inlay of pearl in the guage cluster... should look cool. I won't go overboard.

Attached Files:

27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If the guys on "Pimp my Ride" can put the Nile River in yo' back seat, then surely you can figure out a trick way to get this guy a stogie.

Start with something like this
    http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-humidors/discount-humidors.html

Then figure out how to incorporate it into the dash. I figure a sweet upholstered tray that pops out of the glove box with a linear actuator would be pretty awesome.

28. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

So, you are saying Bill Hines is a poser!

29. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

Good point....