Register now to get rid of these ads!

'29 Hemi Track Roadster Cowl Steering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32SEDAN, Dec 28, 2010.

1. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

PO put a power steering box in and I'm looking to replace it with a like size/fit manual unit. Would love to get rid of the reservoir and lines as a power unit is not needed for a roadster and definitely not the look I'm going for...

Any ideas what this unit is and what would be a good fit to replace it?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Any steering box experts out there?

Happy New Year!

3. oj

oj

Looks like a sprint car box, sweet maybe? All sprint car boxes will be power steering nless you can find an early unit - late 50's early 60's? kinda early.
    Cowl steering isn't as easy as you might think, they work backwards to a normal box so if you move - say - an F100 box up there when you make aleft turn it'll go right!
    I did see a thread on here where a guy took a box apart and machined it so that it would work backwards, try the search thing. I am in the process of doing one myself and am using a mustang box because it is what i have laying around, not the most popular of boxes. Good luck, oj

4. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

how much you looking to spend? manual Schroeder boxes can be found between 400-and up. Just picked one up on HAMB last week for 450.00 with pitman arm.. I had a power schroeder with the ports looped in my roadster.. was tight turning in parking lot but great on the highway... Jason.

5. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

aluminum mopar box can be used for cowel steering. looks good polished too.........

6. I agree with Jerry. I put a Schroder box in my relatively new ’29 TR and I am very disappointed. No on-center feel and high steering effort at low speeds.

If you can, I STRONGLY urge you to drive a car with a Schroeder box before you go that way. I chose the the Schroeder due to its cool competition look, but for the street it sucks, in my opinion.

I am NOT saying that the Schroeder boxes are not wonderful for small oval cars where the drivers are steering with the back wheels and doing quick corrections with the ultra fast Schroeder.

I did put a reduction gear (reversed) in the column to slow down the Schroeder box, but this is still the wrong tool for the job.

Any recirculating ball type “reversed” steering box would be preferable based on my own hands on experience. The alum Mopar box looks good and isn’t too large.

Good luck

if you want to see the layout of the"cowl steering” and drag link in my TR I have an extensive Project thread, just search for trakrodstr.

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Your location would be helpful. I've got your answer but it would be nice to know if we can get together.

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Just to make this clear as mud...
    I believe your actually talking about certain cross steer boxes that can be adapted to cowl steering use by reversing...not the draglink style of early f100 (and F1)
    Not all cross steer boxes will need to be reversed for use in a cowl steer position, but anyone doing a conversion like this NEEDS to know for sure before mounting the donor box!