Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rain X vs Wipers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Dec 29, 2010.

1. edit

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Rain X really works... as long as you are moving at a decent speed.

3. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I love the stuff, use it on everything

4. pdq67

pdq67

I'm betting that if they came on it, they'd better be on it because to remove them may make it street illegal.

pdq67

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Sorry, but I just cant get behind your idea to remove the wipers...
    As to your rainX question. Hell yes it works.
    Keep a bottle in the glove box. At the first droplet of rain, pull into the gas station and put a fresh coating on the windshield. The stuff is amazing!

6. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Rain X does work, but the first time you try to pass a tractor trailor in the rain you will wish you had those wipers.

7. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I had a nice '69 Torino GT for 10 years. I took off the wipers & motor early on and just never put them back on until I sold it last year. I just drove it on nice clear days.

...I live in Los Angeles.

8. big creep

big creep

yea rain x works, but you have to be moving for it to work well.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've used Rain-X for over 20 years of rod running...it's amazing at night while running down the highway and it rains, cuz you can't even tell it's raining until headlights hit your windshield...

Wkends is correct...when passing an 18 wheeler, you'll wish you had wipers...but once past you're OK and at slow speeds the rain won't blow off as well.

I certainly wouldn't remove the wipers on your car...

R-

10. I use rainX on my cars ols and new. I tried it on my 58GMC and the the shape of the roof has low pressure are in front of the windshield and it would not work. I have seen puddles of water literal sitting in the middle of the hood at speed on the highway. strange...

11. Deuces

Deuces

I tried a gallon jug of the windshield washer fluid and that stuff sucks! It leaves the windshield all foggy.. :eek: Do the right thing and your wipers on the car...

12. jambottle

jambottle

Sorry, but experence is you can see much better passing a trailer in the rain with only rainx;no wipers smearing up that spray.Try it!Make sure the rainx is applied as directed and Do Not Use the wipers;they tend to smear up the rainx coating.I remove the wiper fuse and reapply rainex every couple of weeks.

13. maniac

maniac

Also remember if (and I hope it never happens) you are involved in an accident and the road is wet and you have NO wipers visible, I wouldn't want to give either insurance company anything to get out of paying the claim.

But rain x works real well, I use it all the time, works even better on the side windows and mirrors

14. leave the wipers! i mean come on its realy not going to make it look a lot better. if they work leave them. i have to use rain x cause my wipers dont function properly and it sucks. some says it works, sure it KIND of works. but its realy not sufficiant. it only works when your movign at a good speed.

15. I had a wiper motor that didn't work and wiped on Rain X before going out of state to Hot Rod Natonals. We got caught in a down pour halfway there and I swear, I could see out the windshield better than if the wipers were working.

16. Rain X mostly works at 70 MPH:D

17. sdluck

sdluck

We installed it on fire engines at work,some drivers with glasses complained vison was very poor,hard to see, and we had to take it off all fire engines

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Not a good idea to remove wipers,rain X works great,but if you are the cause of a bad accident resulting in bodily harm or property damage, your ass is grass for not having a properly equipped vehicle .Don"t know what your state laws say but if the car came from the factory with wipers they better be on the car.

19. I have used rain X for well over 20 years and it works great,,been driving my 32 pickup for several years and don't have wipers.

FWIW,,I would not remove the original towers if you have them,,just put the bullet covers on them and toss the blades in the truck in case you ever need them HRP

20. gas pumper

gas pumper

Aero bricks clear the windows at 25mph+ . I did have a car that it didn't work on but can't remember what it was.

My 54 Chevy hasn't had wipers, I got chrome plated brass bullets on the wiper knurls. Rain-X is the answer. I haven't had wipers for 22 years.

I am a rain magnet. I have a dark cloud that follows me everywhere. I made it rain at speedweek in 2009.

I would try it for a while with the wipers on the car, but don't use them, cause using the wipers with rain -x on the window reduces the life of the coating.

You will be amazed at how well Rain-x works, if the aero of the car promotes the air flow to blow off the water.

I travel all over and never had a traffic stop for the wipers, other stuff yeah, but never a word about no wipers.

Go for it if the car can do it.

21. big bad john

big bad john

.....Rain-x works great.....I have cars in the thirty's .....and don't have working wipers....Only got caught in the rain a couple of times in 12 years....

22. I've used Rain X since the early 70s and absolutely love the stuff. I had a '68 Corvette that never saw windshield wipers. Anything above 20 mph in that car and rain just seemed to evaporate. I've used it on every kind of vehicle since I first saw the stuff. My daily drivers sit outside in midwest weather, including snow & ice. Rain X even helps with the frost/ice removal from the windows (and yes, I use it on ALL the windows of the car, ... AND on glass headlights.)
    BUT, I have to agree with many of the others, I'd leave some manner of operational wipers on any vehicle I truly cared about. Just an opinion.

23. mj40's

mj40's

I have used Rain-X since it came out. Works great and the bugs don't stick as hard as well as the ice in winter is easier to remove. I still run wiper blades because they are needed in heavy down pours. You can see the action of Rain-X at around 30 mph but gets better at higher speeds. Before you remove your blades, you may want to check with your state laws for blade requirements.

24. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I've driven hundreds and hundreds of miles in the rain with rain-x, it works great. Some of my friends took the wipers off their cars. We joke going down the road in the rain about watching the "maggot" races. The only time rain-x annoys me is sitting at a stoplight at night and some asshole pulls up behind with his brights on, the back reflection is hard to see. This goes away at about 10 mph.

25. pecker head

pecker head

Rain X works its ass off !

26. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

our 41 packard dosen't have wipers, use rain x but I agree if on the freeyway and get stuck behind a truck good luck. In town depends on the rain

27. wsdad

wsdad

Try the Rain-X. If you like it, THEN take your wipers off. If there's some reason you can't do that, then try some on your daily driver.

I've tried it and was unimpressed. But my opinion doesn't really matter when you're driving. You'll either like it or you won't. I'd leave the wipers on until after trying it.

Good luck. I hope it works for you.

28. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I kept hearing about how good Rain-X was supposed to work.

One night the spring broke on the retainer which holds the linkage to the vacuum motor on my '58. Both wiper arms quit moving.

I pulled into the gas station and bought a bottle of the stuff, "here goes nothin"

Worked a hell of a lot better than no wipers at all.

Drove the last ten miles home with no issues.

Shawn

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My take, sorry if it's a bit eccentric:

To me, hot-rodding is a lot about subverting centralized manufacture, being an active producer of stuff - or at least dealing with active producers who are essentially like me - rather than a passive consumer.

I don't have the capability to brew up a batch of hydroxy-terminated polydimethylsiloxane, nor do I know anyone who does. I don't even have a good generic source for the stuff. If I did I might have a different view. I do have the capability to devise and fabricate a working wiper system.

Now any design decision establishes an interest; it makes you dependent on something to the extent that you're hoping it remains available in future. Using any product means that you thereafter have an interest in the source; so it doesn't make any sense to be for the product but against the source. It doesn't make sense to be in favour of Rain-X while wishing Royal Dutch Shell and its ilk would disappear up their several corporate asses - unless you can duplicate the source on your own terms.

That I can't do for now; until I can it's wipers for me.

30. Muttley

Muttley

Rain-X is great stuff, I used to put it on my tow truck and never turn the wipers on all Winter long.