Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yokohama 700R15's ...anyone use these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WD40, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I'm thinking of buying a set of Yokohama 700R15's for the back of my model A. They are a light truck tire and eight ply. I would like to know if anyone has used them and would you do it again? Is the eight ply going to give me grief? When I searched them I believe someone said something about running a lower air pressure.
    Thanks...WD40

2. gtkane

gtkane

The 8ply is gonna run rough...

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of the rough ride I can't see an issue. And the ride may not be all that rough to you depending on what you are used to. yep lower air pressure would help but too low defeats the purpose of running those tires.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Not that size, but I've run Yokohamas on my DD for ages. What you're looking at probably doesn't have the clever tread designs, but I like the compounds they tend to use. It's the closest modern equivalent to the tough-sticky quality Michelins had in the '60s and '70s.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As a brand, I love Yokohamas. The LT tires you are looking at are probably not an actual 8 ply tire, but 8 ply rated as regards strength. If that is the case, it may help a bit on softening the ride. But any way you slice it, an LT tire of that size and capacity on a light weight Model A is not going to provide a very smooth ride, even with appropriately lower pressures.

And then there is the matter of unsprung weight. Any light weight car should have the lightest axles, wheels and tires that can safely be used to minimize the unsprung weight to attain the best ride and handling result.

Tire Rack has a GREAT website for researching tires with all sorts of specs available for every tire they sell, including the diameter, weight etc. Good place to spend a little time when selecting the best tire for the job, all things considered.

Ray

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Particularly I like this facility. It lists all the sizes they stock by rim diameter. On other sites you have to search size by size, only to find that two-thirds of the options don't exist. Keep in mind that there are some sizes, mostly extreme and/or specialized ones, that Tire Rack don't list.

7. Thanks guys for the reply...WD40

8. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

I used to farm for a guy south of Moose Jaw. The ONLY thing he EVER put on his farm 1/2 tons was Yokohama 700R15. They are good tires - I never had a flat, never separated and lasted a long time. If you burn out they smoke like a bitch.

As for ride, air'em down and see what happens.

Dave...

9. I had 4 of them on a '53 Lincoln 2 years ago that I've since sold.
    The dealer advised me to run hi pressure in them (30 - 40 pounds)
    Yes, they rode very hard.