Register now to get rid of these ads!

VP race gas- ever had this problem..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dvz, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dvz

dvz
    from San Diego

Ok, here's one for ya...

I've used VP 110 for years in my gasser. I'm at a sniff under 12:1 compression and I cut it 50/50 with 91 pump gas to end up at around 100 octane. Works fine.

Last time out, I put 5 gallons from a fresh can of the 110 in the fuel cell, mixed with 5 gal of pump gas, same as always. The Poncho was runnin ok, except the last pass seemed to kinda fall on it's face. When I was pulling it on the trailer and back off at home, it wouldn't idle. Would run if kept the R's up, but die at idle.

I had a couple of gallons left in the cell, but never drained it. Car sat in the garage a couple of months. Started a few times, but never took it out. A few nights ago, I opened the trunk. The fuel cell was pretty fucked up, rather, the locking filler cap was. All of the metal flange around the edge of the filler was covered with, like, 1/8 inch-thick caked white powder, like you see on a battery terminal. Really thick, but like baby powder. Even worse, the (pvc I think?) plastic center of the filler cap had broken in pieces and fallen into the tank. Not melted, but, like, become brittle and cracked into pieces. The metal pieces on the cap were heavily oxidized (rusty) and there was a dark, chalky residue on the inside surfaces of the plastic cap. It also appears that the foam baffle inside the cell had disintegrated.

The tank itself (ABS plastic, I think) was unscathed. When I drained the tank, the contents separated, on the bottom it was dark and opaque, on top, it appeared pretty much like gas. I assume the shit at the bottom was the dissolved plastic and foam baffle? BTW, just the normal shit in the big Fram fuel filter. I'm hopeful nothing is fucked up in my carbs (2x Holley 600's).

Anybody got any clues? Some kind of bad additive? Smelled like normal 110...
    dvz

2. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Never heard of that before,

you will need some kind of test run on the left over crap in the bottom of the tank to know for sure...

It sounds like some acid was put in the tank by some one ,

hopefully by mistake or accident or maybe a kid playing around with dirty tools ...

Just trying to give you and idea ,not pointing the finger at anyone .

Good luck and let us know what you find out....

3. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Whats the alky content in the pump gas? .

4. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Where did you get the pump gas from????? Ive never ever heard of race fuel doing that, VP cam-2 or any others

5. Deuces

Deuces

That's what I'm thinkin'..........

6. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I let 110 sit in my race car all winter, have been doing it for years. You do know that besides the fuel having alcohol in it you need to mix fuels with a hydrometer using the specific gravity to get the mix you want. It takes a real pro to get the mix the same every time. My wife's '66 F100 sits all winter & with pump gas in it, it does the same thing. I run it almost empty & fill it with 100 no lead racing fuel for the winter & never have a problem with it.

7. same here-top my fuel cell off and let it sit all winter .. I would suspect some additive in the pump gas the culprit :(

8. dvz

dvz
    from San Diego

Good question. I just saw some pending legislation that they were gonna start upping to 15% ethanol into the pump gas out here in Cali. Murder on plastics and rubber.

Just had a conversation with my engine guru and he said without a doubt the issue is the alcohol content in the pump gas, though race gas has ethanol in it, too. Plastic, rubber, all dry out and crack, and in addition, the alcohol attracts water. If the fuel cell vent isn't capped when parked, there is a source of fresh air, and condensation inside the cell is inevitable in addition to drying out the plastic and rubber.

Looks like new cell, soft lines, needles & seats and accelerator pump diaphragms. Moral: Drain unused fuel. Period.
    dvz

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

White powder?
    Sounds like heavily blended methanol.
    Were did you get the pump gas from?
    I think we should make the tree huggers drink methanol blended gas.

10. Mopar_Tony_SF

Mopar_Tony_SF
    from SEA

10% ethanol most likely. Thats been the ways its been for a couple years now.

If you have any fuel remaining, you can do a simple water emulsion test to see what % ethanol you currently have in your tank,

11. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

One of the guys in our area (South Carolina) has a kit that can test the Ethenol content in gas. He has found as high as 20% in regular gas, never below 10%. Since fuel suppliers get paid by our government to put this crap in the gas, what would ever make you trust that they aren't going to try to get away with what ever they can. JMHO

12. burnout2614

burnout2614

It makes me angry that we have to pay so much for gasoline that is absolute CRAP! And it makes me crazy to hear Nancy Pelosi say our gas prices need to match Europe!! Condensation is the culprit accelerated by the shitty additives in the gas. I have started back putting Marvel oil in my tanks, cars,bikes,trucks,weedwacker etc BUT if you are gonna let one sit awhile drain it. peace

13. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I run race gas in all my power equipment & haven't had the usual tear down & rebuild of carbs & swollen or hard fuel lines. I started with the weed eater & it starts right up every spring, not like it did a few years ago... Damned ethanol

14. Ob1

Ob1

15. Ninja 85

Ninja 85

Someone should hang Nancy Pelosi with 20/0 hooks thru the nipples from the highest tree and use her for a pinata

16. Only thing I was told not to do was store race gas (VP C116) in area that gets a lot of sunlight.

17. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

If the fuel cell looks bad---wait till you see whats going on in the carbs-----happened to me ---looks like a sugar factory

18. shanesflames

shanesflames

A couple years ago i was helping with a late model race car.the guy would, pull the baffels out of the tank at the end of the year...he said it would turn to mush...

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've never let a race car sit over the winter around here with anything in the fuel system and this was before this lousy fuel problem we've been experiencing the last few years. I simply disassembled everything, blown the lines down, drained the tank and carbs and plugged any fittings, reversing the procedure in the spring.
    As far as Nancy is concerned, she has already had that gavel taken away. 2012 should see a lot more positive change in Washington.

Frank

20. Welcome to Commiefornia gas!! it has been doing that for the past year or so around here. drain it if it is going to sit longer than a few weeks otherwise it will happen all the time, just started using sta-bil to see if that works for a little longer storage. Oh yeh if you have a car that has sat for a long time that had leaded gas in it save yourself a lot of problems and have tank flushed and clean all the lines and carb as it will turn it into black sludge and seize up all the valves in the guides. had that happen to the last 3 cars we tried to put back on the road after a long sleep before we figured it out.

21. firingorder1

firingorder1

I've been running C12 for fifteen years and never had a problem. I don't leave the gas in the tank over the winter. I'll drain it back into the can and leave it. I would look for the culprit somewhere besides VP.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

It is not the race gas,it was the pump stuff[can't call it gasoline].It happened to my friends fuel cell too,straight 91 pump junk,ate up the foam,ruined a high dollar electric pump,clogged the filter.I run 110 race gas in my car,leave what ever is left over after a race,never any issues. Talk to the greenies that think alcohol is good stuff,probably works OK in their Prius!! ROY.

23. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

We run C-23 fuel and found it eats the fuel lines, hard and brittle in two seasons.Never had a problem with 110 when we ran it.

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

come on now, tell us how you really feel?