Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Thanks Dr. John!!!

2. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

That bumbed my dad out.

3. hseamanus

hseamanus

Is there any history on the Harbach 18 in the 1972 photo?
    Thx.....

Harold Seaman

4. Dr. John

Dr. John

BigFeet13: You're welcome, Happy New Year.

hseamanus: Sorry, all it had was the driver's name printed under the pic, but I am sure there are lots of people who can help you out with L.I. Mod info.

5. Dr. John

Dr. John

Here's the Cliff Kotary obituary:
    http://romesentinel.com/news?newsid=20101228-141017

Clifford L. ‘Cliff’ Kotary

Clifford L. "Cliff" Kotary Dec. 27, 2010

Clifford L. "Cliff" Kotary, 91, of Floyd, passed away on Monday, December 27, 2010, at Rome Memorial Hospital, in the presence of his loving and devoted family. He was born on November 8, 1919, in Ava, the son of Robert and Anna Smith Kotary. Clifford, known to many family and friends as "Malcolm," was raised in Ava and West Leyden and lived most of his life in the Town of Floyd. On August 22, 1941, Clifford was united in marriage to Clara Rose Streiff at St. Mary’s Church in West Leyden.
    Cliff Kotary known to racing fans as the "Copper City Cowboy" began his Hall of Fame racing career in 1948 at the old Bennett’s Field in North Utica. For over two decades, Cliff raced at tracks throughout New York, Vermont, and Canada, winning races at over twenty different tracks and becoming track champion at several. Beginning in 1960, Cliff won an unprecedented six straight New York State Fair Labor Day Championships. Cliff was inducted into the DIRT Motorsports Hall of Fame, New York State Stock Car Hall of Fame, Eastern States Hall of Fame, Eastman Kodak Park Hall of Fame, Midstate Antique Stock Car Club Hall of Fame, and the Rome Sports Hall of Fame.
    Cliff enjoyed public service and politics, serving his community for over fifty years as an elected official, including his current position as a Floyd Town Councilman. He also served as Chairman of the Oneida County Board of Supervisors, and as Town Supervisor, Highway Superintendent, Fire Department Commissioner, and Welfare Officer in the Town of Floyd. In February of this year, State Sen. Joseph Griffo presented Cliff with the New York State Senate Liberty Medal for lifetime achievement.
    Never really retiring, Cliff enjoyed working well into his eighties as a salesman for the Gorman Group. An avid outdoorsman, Cliff was a founding member of the White Lake Game Club and enjoyed fishing and hunting throughout the Adirondacks and Canada. He also loved to watch his grandchildren’s hockey games and other sporting events, and was a life-long New York Yankees fan.
    Cliff is survived by his loving wife of sixty-nine years, Clara Rose; their oldest son and daughter-in-law, LeRoy Clifford and Margaret Walsh Kotary, of New Hartford; four grandchildren, Kyle and his wife, Laura Jane, of Delmar, Mark and Tracy Margott, of New Hartford, Kathryn and her husband, Jacob Plattenberger, of Chicago, IL, and Sean and his wife, Kerry, of Milford, NH; a daughter-in-law, Elaine Kotary, of South Carolina, and her two children, Brent Vanderwood and Stephanie Doane; six great-grandchildren; and dozens of nieces, nephews and friends. Cliff is also survived by three brothers, Albert, Donald, and Charles; and a special niece, Bertha and her husband, Robert Grems, of Floyd. Cliff was predeceased by two sons, James and Robert; and seven brothers and two sisters.
    The family wishes to express sincere appreciation to his physician, Dr. Kesava Potluri, and his staff, as well as the staffs at Rome Memorial Hospital and Betsy Ross Nursing Home, where he received a tremendous amount of support and care.
    Funeral services will be held on Friday, December 31, 2010, at the Nunn and Harper Funeral Home, Inc., 418 N. George St., Rome, at 11:00 a.m., where the Rev. Philip A. Hearn will officiate. Interment will take place in Evergreen Cemetery in the spring. Family and friends are invited and may call on Thursday from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the funeral home.
    You may view the obituary and send a message of sympathy at www.nunnandharper.com

6. thought this was one of the cooler shots I came across recently.
    [​IMG]

rods and mods

7. FLLDYTRKR

FLLDYTRKR
    from SW FL

Mayhe he rest in peace...I was raised listening to this man, as he sat at my parents home tell about back in the day stories. I tagged along with dad to 'help' at the shop..The many hunting trips spent in Wheelertown at my grandfathers camp...Anyone remember the accident when he son was hurt at the track. The racing world has really lost a good, they don't make men like him much anymore.

8. Zoera

Zoera

Former Riverside Park championship car. I spoke to a guy named Woody a year or so ago about purchasing this car. I understand the car was in Burlington, VT. It's too bad many of these cars sit in garages and will never see the track again. I hope this is not the case with this car. I was told the paint & body work was redone by the original painter.

[​IMG]

9. k9racer

k9racer

This is Grason Rose back yard in westend/Birmingham alabama 53 to 55 time frame.. Grason was the go fast guy in Birmingham, Belive it or not this was state of art for the time frame. The 69 was driven by By Latham and owned by the Penn,eddie wright team. the 709 and 1 were owened by Mr Pieteli a grocery store owner, The 709 was cad powered and driven by several people. the no 1 was olds powered and driven by Jerry massey. what else that is cool the drag roadster, the cushman walk thru schwin springerand varous parts in the back yard..

10. k9racer

k9racer

just in case any one wants the info 7807 number 88 Sonny Black Montgomery alabama cad powered a very fast car. The 383 this photo is Midfield Dixie speedway 383 is Wayne [puney] Taylor outside 2nd row is Red Farmer. Bill Latham second row inside................ The 54 has a intersting story photo Birmingham fairgrounds track Driver used the name Mel Carter. His wifes last name was carter. His real last name was Sosbee. he got tired of answering the question if he was related to the ga. racer Gober Sosbee............... The 92 is a very young Freddy Fryar in the dobbins twins car.. The no 2 is Bones Brasher ,midfield track, The 48 is Bill Sternburgs hobby car also midfield .. note the cartoon of the jackass in the wheelbarrow and the saying Hauling Ass.This car was Wendal [Roundman} Amicks auto. The 48 sedan I think is a freddy Fryar car also..If and when I recal other details I will post... Bobby.......

11. BKHRS

BKHRS

Jake Hafke was the original builder/painet, Bob Stefanick drove for the Czarnecki Bros, and they may have been involved with this car also, They usually raced a '20' car at Riverside

12. Thanks Ken! I appreciate it even though I think I called you Lou, too close to Schou, LOL. My dad called everyone Joe. So, thanks Joe! Maybe this year at the Head? Take and happy New Year.

13. daveww1

daveww1

14. daveww1

daveww1

15. daveww1

daveww1

16. daveww1

daveww1

17. yes, Stefanick drove the car for the Czarnecki Bros.
    Zoera, the car is in Vt and work is progressing on it. I suspect the car will be run in N.E.A.R as the owner is a member. I'm sure it will be run as shown, and not chopped up or re-painted. Does your heart good to see a survivor from the golden era of racing doesn't it?:)

18. George M.

George M.

I can tell you that the car was originally the #V4 Mystic Missile driven by Leo Cleary! Harbach and/or Butch Meceika purchased the car from the Garbarino's. My Father, with the backing of Nippes Nursery bought the car and Bobby Holmberg drove it for us as the white 9A in 1973 & '74! It was later sold to Joel McElearney when he still owned the #98 driven by Dan MacNamara. Bobby drove it for awhile, for Joel, but I'm not sure where the car wound up after that. Joel or Paul McElearney would have that information. That's all I have for ya Harold! Have a Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  19. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Leo Cleary

Attached Files:

20. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Junior Ambrose, a rare photo of a driver other than Bobby Holmberg in the 9A.
    Islip Speedway, NY

Attached Files:

21. George M.

George M.

Yeah! That's right Kris! I think Junior drove the car, for Joel, after Bobby!

22. George is it the same car in your avatar?

23. George M.

George M.

No, Pete! That blue car is a Boehler built car! That was the X27, driven by Richie Gomes, before we bought it!

24. George M.

George M.

Picture Chronology (The Blue 9A)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Bullfrog2152

Bullfrog2152

Funny story on the top picture with the 23 coupe (Moose Hewit?) Behind him sits my father's first ever racecar #52. My uncle (Bondo Bob Guilbault), who owned a body shop, was supposed to paint this car red. My dad and crew went to pick it up and it was pumpkin orange! My dad yelled at him and asked WTF? Bond, then proceeded to fill him in the fact that he is color blind. "How was I supposed know?".

26. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.