Register now to get rid of these ads!

39 ford trunklid skin/frame - need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by savannahDan, Dec 28, 2010.

1. savannahDan

savannahDan

I had a dent on the trunklid of my 1939 ford tudor where something had hit the trunk handle. I couldn't pop out the dent from the backside because the bracing/frame was in the way. The frame also had some rust along the bottom, and was a bit deformed from the dent, so I figured it best to remove the trunk skin from the trunk frame to make repairs. The problem now is I can't get the frame to go back into the skin. The bottom and the two vertical sides fit fine, and the top corners fit fine, then the frame starts to bow upward (in the direction of the back windows) and becomes to tall to fit back into the skin. I have a feeling that my "repairs" have flattened out the curvature of the frame, which could make it too tall. It's kind of hard to describe in words...

Does anyone have any photos of the backside of their trunklid, so I can see how the frame should fit against the skin?

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Dan,

I'd try and fit the frame to your trunk opening without the skin on first. Bend ,tweek and force a good fit with the quarters & the lower valance panel & be sure to allow for the gasket in your plans. Once you've got a good fit up of the frame, weld it up and tweek the skin to fit the frame that's been welded in and already that fits the trunk opening. Pretty much like skinning a door after you get the frame figgered out!

" Life ain't no Disney movie "