Register now to get rid of these ads!

What gives Mopar starters their sound ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Dec 24, 2010.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That must have been an old 6 volt system from the sound of it:D
    sorry:eek: ...:D

2. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I wouldn't be a dime on claiming chrysler invented the gear reduction starter. It has been used in aircraft before cars had electric starters.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Boy, thats a good trick, considering the TF debuted in what, 1957? Didnt know Mopar invented the time machine...Oh wait, yea they did, in '64. It was called the late hemi.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, you know what they say about arguing with idiots on the internet...:D You notice that while all the pro-mopar responses are based on facts, engineering firsts, ect, all the pro-chevy responses are stuff like mopar copying the T-400 ten years before it came out, "my uncle had a" stories, ect. Think I'll go out to the garage and work on my POS chevy...:rolleyes:

5. 73RR

73RR

Completely agree!!
    Now, would someone please close this thread. The question was answered on page 1.

6. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

Amen

7. FC49

FC49

And we're all familiar with the old Ford V8 starter's music.

Frank C.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Reminds me of my grandmother, she was always so upset by what the people across the street were doing. If she would have just stopped sticking her nose through the curtains watching them, the problem would have gone away.

9. What is the application/year/model/engine/trans you have? I'd have to see SOLID proof of a Delco starter being stock on a Mopar. Same with the TF in a GM car, stock.

I call BS here.

Chrysler supplied AMC and IH with TorqueFlites that fit those specific applications, but certainly not GM. I would not doubt that GM used the TF as a model for the T400 tranny, as the Mopar automatic is a LOT stronger than the GM units. Chrysler was using the TF and PowerFlite transmissions while GM was still using the Dual-Range Hydra-Matic, a transmission that dated from 1950.

10. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

actually the real problem here is that as soon as someone answered the question, a few answers down was the dreaded, CAUSE MOPAR IS THE BEST, and was in fact started by a mopar lover, no one even downed a mopar til the argument was started by a mopar person, i own all the big 3, they are arre good, all bad.....each unique, i have worked on all 3 for many years, and cannot say one is better than the others.....so you mopar fanatics that are now complaining should look at one of your fellow mopar fanatics to point finger of who started this argument......let everyone love their favorite, no need to argue, they all suck!!........lol........and i`m spent

11. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

the reason they make that sound is because they are on the wrong side

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Actually, the comment was Mopar engineering was best, not "CAUSE MOPAR IS BEST", and that is a demonstrable fact. Has nothing to do with which car is "best", styling, fit, finish ect all enter into that, whole 'nother question. Check my home page, I own a chevy II, a Falcon, and 2 Mopars, and the Chevy II is my current project car, so I am hardly a "mopar fanatic", just a guy who has worked on pretty much everything over the years with an open mind, and I am strongly in the "Mopar engineering was best" camp, for a bunch of reasons I and others have already stated, and so far, no one has been able to argue any of those points. First mass production american car with 1) gear reduction starter 2) Factory race ready automatic (think '63 max wedge cars here) 3) alternator 4) torsion bars 5) hemispherical heads, not to mention superior factory machining and metallurgy to chevy, shaft mounted rockers, forged steel crank in all V-8s in the sixties, and on and on. The reason no chevy guys have argued these points is because they cant, they are all facts.
    As far as Chrysler copying the T400, or running t400s in their cars, utter horseshit, from a typical chevy guy who hasnt even bothered to try to find out what year the TF went into production. The torqueflite was in production 8 years before the T400, if anything, its the other way around.

Maybe the guy who said this thread should be closed now is right, anything left to be said from here on in is pretty much bs anyway.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Actually someone read that post wrong. The guy actually SAID that GM copied the Torqueflite...but who really knows?
    I'm a Chevy guy who's cultivating a big respect for Mopar.
    Having said that...this is still a dumb thread.

14. Oh No, Don't get Moefuzz started on another "GM rant", it'll get ugly! :rolleyes:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

To be fair, maybe I should point out some of Chevies domestic firsts.
    First and only with c-clip axles
    first and only to make a modern V8 with no oil filter
    first and only to make a 4 banger with pockets of silicone in the cylinder walls
    first and only to make a straight 6 with no oil pump
    first and only to use mono-leaf springs
    first and only with a two-speed auto
    first and only to build an irs with only one u-joint per side
    Funny no one seems to copy any of chevies firsts...

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

At least theres one thing here I agree with. I have had my fun flogging this nag, signing off on this one. Stick a fork in it, its done.

OOPS! You are right, I did read it wrong, he DID say that chevy copied the TF! :eek: I stand corrected. NOW I am done.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  17. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

...'member when this thread was about the SOUND of the starter?

I miss those days...........

dv

18. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

too bad they couldn`t ever engineer a way to keep their doors attached!!!!!

19. And if the car doesn't start right away and you re-engage it before it stops you get... GAACKK!

All my buds had slant sixes in high school college. I had an old Dodge ASSPAIN in college for a while. And as much as I'm Ford guy that old Mopar never let me down once despite the abuse it took. Credit where credit's due.

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

That aint no shit. Whodathota a simple question about a starter would have turned into a 6 page Auto maker slame fest ? Question has been answered 50 times now .Thanks for the positive replies from the majority of you :).Im no Mopar expert and dont claim to be ,but i did have the sack to go out on a limb and cross over to my first Mopar (which i knew next to nothing about ) from my Chevy and Ford past.Im learning as i go with my Dodge ,and learning more everyday .I was smart enough to single handedly shave a half second in the 1/4 off this Mopar with just tuning ,with the same parts ,same weight ,and almost no money ,which is most likely more than alot of you self proclaimed experts could do ,so cut me sum slack guys ;) ...

21. FMX Ford transmissions were two speeds.
    Also we can look at desoto Fireflites (and I'm assuming other mopar flite transmissions)

Anyway, can this thread get closed? Lets look at it this way. Mopar did good things, mopar did bad things. Every manufacturer has done both good and bad things.

This is why hotrodding and customizing is an essential part of building a car that will perform or look cool. If you're close minded about a particular manufacturer, you will lose some room for your vehicle to grow. Both aesthetically and in terms of performance.

To answer the OP's question (as many have already done) gear reduction.

22. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Some of you guys need to put your tonque in your cheek again and rethink this topic, instead of letting it tangle up your panties... :rolleyes: :D

Hotrodding to me is removing stock parts and replacing them with better performing, bigger parts.
    That's why Fords and Chevy's are so popular in Hotrodding, they have soo much to improve on when stock... :p :D

Let's get this topic back on track a little by talking man stuff har-har...
    Too bad we can't have startermotor-dragraces :rolleyes: , but how much horsepower does YOUR starter have!? ;)

23. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

FMX Ford transmissions were two speeds. ALL of the fmx trans this OLD man built were 3 speeds.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Built an fmx myself, 3 speeds. You and I must have been building the "special" FMX's:D

25. Exactly. They sound like an airplane to me. I love that sound.

The new GM reduction starters sound close to the same.

26. C-clip axles are notorious for leaving the vehicle at the worst possible time - score one for GM

And, what was the advantage of NO oil filter again? - score again for GM

Try that one again on the Six cylinder engines w/o oil pumps - Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Hudson - all had splasher-oiled Sixes.

No real advantage to a mono-leaf spring, other than weight.

Mopar had the two-speed PowerFlite automatic, Ford had its own two-speed automatic.

How does that IRS work with only one u-joint per side??? There are two per side - one at the diff and one inboard of the wheel/hub/brake assembly...

Think maybe there is a REASON some of these things were not copied???

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mono-leaf=cheap.

rear suspension think first gen corvair

I actually forgot Ford copied the c-clip axles. Didnt know about the other splash-clatter sixes, never worked on any of that stuff.

28. My mistake, I thought that the re-designed ford-o-matics found in falcons and other light duty cars were dubbed FMX ford-o-matics (two-speed), to differentiate them from the more common borg-warner ford-o-matic (three-speed). I wasn't trying to confuse them with cruise-o-matics or c4/c6's

29. Frank

Frank

The Duke boys did. They welded them shut! LOL

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

:D:D:D .Mopar has gotta be the durabilty KING.Look at how many 200 ft jumps over creeks ,houses ,trees ,etc that Charger made episode after episode without a scratch . After Bo and Luke got tired of punking everyone with it Coy and Vance had their turn and the Mopar never gave it up .Im sure having an expert like Kooter wrenching on it helped ,but if a Ford or Chevy woulda been better im sure the Duke Boys woulda been driving one ,lol :D:D:D ...