Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs East Coast-West Coast-Like or Not???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

YIKES!! :eek::eek::eek:

2. Almost looks like she has matching leather pants on, too!

3. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I like them all except that wrinkled up old lady , YUCK. Lets try to get along here guys! Yea sure some people have unlimited funds to dump into there cars and beautiful weather year round,that's fine but bashing fellow builders for where they live and the style of car they build just isn't cool. It's not fare showing a picture of one low buck car and judging everyone in the east on that. There are cars equal to that anywhere you go in this country.

4. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Thanks, Im now going to have that image of the beef jerky lady on my mind now...

5. here's what I say.. the the amount of people migrating east and west... how can we really have an "east coast" look and a "west coast" look.. when so many are living not where they are originally from....

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

man....i just spit my coffee everywhere...too funny

7. HRod 50

HRod 50

I was away. I wasn't saying this was the perfect examlpe of East coast Kustoms but it has a lot of the similar lements that I've been seeing from east coast cars. LIke Is aid I'm not knocking this car as the guy who owns it probably loves it, and that trully all that matters...

Thats the car I purchased thats not the car I'm going to end up with. This is a little more like what it's going to look like...

Attached Files:

8. adam401

adam401

I'm confused, which one of those cars represent the East Coast? I wouldn't build either one. The after pic of the merc looks like it'll be cool but not really "coast specific."

9. HRod 50

HRod 50

Adam, the guy was trying to take a cheap shot at me. I guess his wife didnt give him any for Christmas, and he's ego needs a boost..
    I posted this thread hoping it would start a discussion about east and west coast kustom likes and dislikes..
    The "Sclamed" car is a car I purchased. The other picture is a photo shop picture of what the eventual look of what my car is going to be.... You can not see obvioiusly from the profile picture everything that is going to be done.. I am using the a Barris 4 door Merc as my the model for my car. Here's a picture of that car..

......... Thanks Rik

Attached Files:

• B4.jpg
      B4.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
    • B5.jpg
      B5.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • B7.jpg
      B7.jpg
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
    • B3.jpg
      B3.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
  10. 68Caddy

68Caddy

I am an east coast guy and I think the cars from Cali define rods and customs. With my ford my goal was always to make it look like something from the WC.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

come back and talk shit when you complete the transformation, the thinly veiled dig at that car and the East Coast is BS, your car looks no better RIGHT NOW. You are living in a glass house throwing stones.

Until your car is completed it's transofrmation it looks more like what you call East coast with those fugly scallop flame things.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I knew that would get somebody! My minor food rant was a bit O/T, but actually part of a larger point - the two coasts of this country are just flat different. I'm used to seeing hot rods and "collector cars" driven daily... My newest car is my '71 Maverick - ever. In my part of the world, my 3" of ground clearence on my avatar is a practical ride height that I have sported for almost twenty years and 225,000 miles. Back there I know it isn't. It felt really weird to see cars that we consider just low buck driver/ beaters out here, being treated like collector cars out there. out here, every tenth car that passes is twenty five years or older. Out there, that isn't going to happen. Where ever you go that isn't home is going to look a bit odd and unsettling as far as style goes. If that's not your norm, it might look unappealing.
    As far as the food thing goes, New York city was easier to find stuff I wanted to eat in, but still almost everything I ate was with the benefit of my little vial of ground peppers that went with me all over. The default "going out" food back there seems to be Italian. The default here is Mexican. The intesity of the two is quite different. Here I could take you to any one of 200 great little hole in the wall Mexican joints, and two competent Italian places. When your standard morning fare is oatmeal with a touch of Habenaro pepper to punch up the cinnamon you put in, stuff out side of that becomes quite bland real quick. All this combine with having to drive rental cars (late model stuff I wouldn't consider driving at home...) added up to me being home sick for the southwest almost constantly while I was working there. The company I worked for eventually offered me silly big money to relocate to my choice of Cleveland, OH., or New London CT. - I had to pass...

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You had the wrong host then... there are plenty of good places to eat in NYC that have spicy food, including Mexican, Cuban, Thai, Vietnemese, Mongolian, Wings, and on and on... next time we'll get you a better guide for your culinary tour. People get the same feeling when they come here to North Carolina, you just have to have someone that knows where the cool dives are.

14. JAWS

JAWS

you dive pretty low i hear.....

15. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I agree with this

16. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

COMMENT!! Here it is The car is not old school custom basically new style perhaps rockabilly or boarder line rat rod. flashy attracts onlookers . There were absolutly NO earley customsin the Noth East that had full flames with neon colors in the 60s It was red oxide primer over the entire car, no chrome to speak of, lg white walls. Really the YOUNG Lady is truly impressed nice to see and hear her comments.Being Born early 40s and experiancing mid 50s early 60s as a young boy and fasinated with the surroundings,If you had a car it was a hot rod because thats all there was, a couple hundred dollars was a starter car. My first car was a 37 zepher coupe had a 6 volt system couldnt afford a better battery and would push it up the street and then back down and hop into on of the buckets and slam it in 2nd gear and pop the clutch goose it a couple times and head out to town, it sported 2 sections 2in flex tubeing 20 feet long for duel pipes with smittys If you had smittys you were the top dog on the block. My hero was a guy I named Wild man Bob Davis had a 50 ford conv, he would scream down high street and when he crested the hill you could see the whole undercaraige He even had his own junk yard with all the cars he wrecked. I no longer have the 37 Any one having one for sale I would be interested! What obout the music. Teen Haven, sat dance night for teens If I learned anything from my past is that you have know how to DANCE!!I dont care what you looked like. We called them chicks then and one thing is they liked to Dance, thus you had a cool car and often times could give them a little RIDE!! My point IS, I lived it and it was the best time of my life. Late 60s I was into the muscle car scene. Well those times a gone in most peoples minds, The past demanded RESPECT and compliance to a standard that cannot be duplicated. Todays cars still show compassion from their owners and onlookers. Thanks for the love, Barron Von Vasnic - Rod Barrons

17. HRod 50

HRod 50

nh-lead-man, Cool post Man!.....

18. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

wow !looks like my welding gloves at work !

19. padorey

padorey

Bearfoot

Well Said!! I am not from theren or have never been there, but there has bee some real Kustoms out of middle America.
    East veres West. I can rember the Little Books having the same battel.

20. my47soto

my47soto

I'm a Cali native so everyday was like a scene out of the 50's and 60's with custom cars every where, but when I joined the Army and moved to NC the car scene was a little of an oddity to me everything was overboard, they've toned it back alot and made things more pleasing to my eye. But when I was stationed in Colorado it felt like being back home in Cali, but the whole scene was just gorgeous it just fit these guys really knew what they where doing. They kept the cars clean and classic so the car scene out there was top notch to me. Then seeing some of the builders from Kansas and Utah come to shows and show there work really blew me away. I'm currently stationed out here in VA and customs out here are hit and miss witgh me again. Some of them I love, some of them I hate. I guess its all in your taste. But everyone might want to watch out for the mid-west cause there are some pretty sexy cars coming out of there.:cool:

21. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

Agreed curt!! but lets face it, west coast just has the weather nailed!! but there is no east coast vs west coast!! that's ignorant! But i will tell ya i have lived on the east coast as well.. and i gotta tell ya i was glad to be home here in cali, but mainly because i knew of my resources... my boys on the east coast know who they are and they are animals!!..

in my time there i just saw a diffrent style and influence, it seemed to be more hot rods and (belly buttons) which are mustangs, camaros muscle cars.., etc.. but not for me, i am a custom fan through and through.. but the muscle cars pay the bills!!

22. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

amen to that bro!! ya i was going to also say... it seemed that most people just built shit out there houses, and learned as they went, (being creative) ..some bad, some terrible and a few nice ones...JUST LIKE HERE ON THE WEST COAST!(hacks everywhere) but the point is the east coast guys would rather do it themselves that pay some ding dong, i respect that!!..ok im done ranting..

23. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

hahahahahaha...so true!!!

24. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

If it were slammed with painted on white walls it would look like most of the cars that were running around so-cal 10-15 years ago,

Attached Files:

25. dicksrodshop

dicksrodshop
    from roanoke va

i was born on the east coast but grew up on the west coast to and when it comes to cars! i like them all except rice burners or should i say the farts in a can. lol

26. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

The west coast stuff is better. Some great stuff comes out of the east, but not with anywhere near the same frequency. I wish we had a fraction of the car culture that you're all spoiled with out there.