Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum "U Fab" Intakes for hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Feb 27, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen the steel constructed "U Fab" log type intakes for Early Hemis that have been around since Crower was making them, but haven't seen an aluminum one yet. I checked with Lakeheaders and they only kit them out in steel. Anyone making them in aluminum? If I had a mill and a TIG welder this wouldn't be a question, but since I don't...

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Aluminum pretty much defeats the "U-Fab" idea, since most people don't have acess to aluminum welding equipment, but almost everone has the equipment to either electric or gas weld steel.

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I think the cost of some of the U-fab kits cost as much as a cast log intake.

4. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

I just bought a Miller 200 Dynasty to fab a blower manifold for my 330 Desoto Hemi. You know you could probably rent a tig machine and build it yourself.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is true! Does anyone still make one though?
    This is true, except that I really like aluminum and you can do a lot to it (polish, engine turn, etc.)... which brings me to hammeredabone's quote of...
    I've done a lot of welding for one of my neighbors and he just bought a TIG and would let me use it... so if there was a "U Fab" type intake that was aluminum, I just might be able to make it work.

So... is anyone making them? Is anyone making a log type intake that's cast that I can still buy? OR... does anyone make aluminum flanges for a 3-bolt 2 barrel and flanges for the intake ports? Maybe I could use the 392 intake spacers as a base and fab up from there???

While on the subject of steel U-fabs... has anyone had one powdercoated? If so, how did it turn out?

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's easy enough to make one out of aluminum. The hardest part is going to be the flanges for the carbs and to attach it to the heads. If you have gaskets you can find someone local that has a water jet and they can cut them out for you. You can then use some different size aluminum tube to make the rest. Fit it all together and then either rent a TIG, borrow, or take it to a local welder. If you find a guy who's into cars he'll probably cut you a break. And actually there were quite a few U-Fab kits that were Aluminum.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This picture is courtasy of Lakeheaders:
    [​IMG]
    This is powdercoated steel. Looks very nice! Considering going this route.

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sooo purty!!! almost makes me want to build something with a v8 just to use that set up!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I really like that split 4x2 set-up also! I'm not overly excited about the linkage set-up though. The arms are sort of "billet" looking and the supporting pivot points are very "McMaster Carr" looking. Probably works great though.

10. desoto276

desoto276
    from Hudson, NY

I have a NOS U-fab for my 276 DeSoto with instructions. If anyone wants a copy of the instructions or dimensions let me know.I am looking for an old original valley pan and some "old chrome" valve covers and wire covers.Thank you!

11. My 291 and your 276 share a lot of stuff,,let me know about your progress.

Tommy

12. madmak95

madmak95

Im gathering part for a 3x2 log for my 276 desoto hemi. Gona use aluminum conduit. As im an electrian I have some scrap. Also eelco makes a 6x2 cast log for the desotos.

13. Good idea,,that stuff should work well.

Tommy

14. I am doing a slant six tunnel ram. I am stalled for now because i need to buy a contract and a bottle of argon. Since i have no other use for it I hesitate to lay out the $200 to $300 for just one job till I absolutely need it . A pal said he would lend me a full bottle as i help him with his projects but then i have to go to his business when it is good for both of us. So far it hasnt been. I was thinking the other day if i had built it from steel like i did my other multicarb one I would have been done now, no hassle. Like the old saying, "We get too soon alt and too late schmart." Making steel look like aluminum is easy. I use Dodge Ram 1994 spray paint I had made up for my 94 Ram's lower touch up. I painted my fuel tank you see in my avatar with it and am often asked even when people are right there and put their hand on it "Where did you get the Aluminum fuel tank?
    It is actually a steel tank from a CTC air compressor that died about 2 days off warranty.
    Still the aluminum idea is attractive just the same. Maybe you should build and sell them under "I'll Fab It" and then the welding aluminum would be no problem for your customers.
    Don

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  15. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think I still have some Dodge and Desoto aluminum flanges in stock. Never had much of a call for them.
    I never did any for the Chrysler for the very reason Scooter mentioned.... the intake spacers are available.
    A few years ago I scored some awesome looking aluminum oval tubing for runners. Thats still standing in a corner too. Too many ideas. :)

16. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Don you are right Go ahead fab it in steel , Then send it out for carbon fiber, diamond plate or whatever water film .Or paint it have fun,

17. concreteman

concreteman

Nice looking set-up (Watched the Movie yesterday) :D

18. Deuces

Deuces

I can't see why it can't be done with plate aluminum and the variety of aluminum square or round tube stock that you could find at any of the suppliers.. I'd look those places up and place an order with someone for all the aluminum stock that's needed.. If I had the machines, I could cut and grind all the parts up for a weld up job..

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Old thread! Good one, though...

20. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Matt welded the intake, the 4x2 log above, I built the 97s and linkage, used aluminum engine paint....
    Here is another for Low Deck Dodge..What is different about this intake..The Stromberg 97s are backwards..I've had people ask how can they work being backwards, my mouth dropped..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Carlos Everhard likes this.