Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get Corvette calipers rebuilt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Dec 24, 2010.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I have a set of 4 piston calipers that are leaking. I assume having them sleeved (stainless) is probably the way to go.

Can anyone recommend someone (preferably in or near Ohio) to have this done?

These are on my '56 Chevy - so having them "original" isn't a factor. Are there any "better" options than having these rebuilt. By better I mean other bolt on calipers worth looking into?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Haven't had this done for several years, since the last early Corvette I restored, but STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE CORP (SSBC) has done many re-sleeved calipers for me. They just about invented this process. It's really a necessary process with used Vette calipers as the fluid in the caliper cylinders never really moves. Water accumulates in each of the four cylinders and corrodes the bores. Re-sleaving is the only realistic way to re-build the calipers. DD

4. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

try rebuilding them yourself. calipers have two parts, a rubber piston seal ring & a outer seal or x4 for four piston. Your local autoparts may have them, call them.

pry off the outer seal (if your careful, you could/may reuse it)

if nessesary, make a air comp. fitting to blow out the piston (wrap all with a towel for safety)

clean out all the crap, use a scotch pad, steel wool, or even sandpaper if ness.

then reasemmble.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Like I said above, the real problem with Vette calipers is that the water that eventually accumulates at the bottom of the cylinder bores STAYS THERE and corrodes the bottom of the bores, kinda like big pits in the bottom of the "supposed-to-be" SMOOTH bores. These big pits won't allow NEW seals to seal, and will only tear-up new seals. The bores need to be re-sleeved with stainless, or something that will not be affected by future water, which is the nature of the beast. DD

6. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

7. bob308

bob308

yep only way to fix them is to either get them reslived or trade them in one ones that are. then use silacone brake fluid.

8. chubbie

chubbie

CORVETTE stainless steel brakes
    14364 s.w. 139th court
    Miami, FL 33186

(800) 262 9595

eMail: [email protected]

do your self a BIG favor, call these guys they helped me when no one else could. are you sure yours arn't stainless?? mine were. I buffed them out to look like chrome with a buff on a drill. the rebuild kit was easy, real easy. you can return the favor some day;)

9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

I'd try posting your question on a Corvette forum. Not being a wise ass.... just saying. You would probably have more accurate response....

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There are 2 different style calipers. The normal GM calipers that are a piece of cake to rebuild with the seal in the bore and the piston riding on the seal but the Corvette style calipers have the seals on the pistons with the seal riding on the caliper bore which deteriorates from the moisture. The stainless steel sleeve provides a good surface for the seal to ride on and it will stay that way.

11. yblock292

yblock292

when i did a vette, 70 model 25 years ago i found it was not much more to buy rebuilt sleaved calibers than have mine done, i think i had to send mine in as cores

12. 409deuce

409deuce

Just got four 4 piston 65 vette and two 4 piston 67 nova ss calipers back from Lonestar caliper company out of Texas. $150 a corner.

[​IMG]
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> // <![CDATA[ $("#imgElement").load(function() { resizeImg(); $('a.thickbox').attr('name', 'fotoflexer
    View Raw Image'); }); // ]]> </SCRIPT>

13. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Believe it or not... try the major chain autoparts stores. Cheap!!

14. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Several companies advertise in Hemmings Motor News. Most do exchange. One advertises all the parts for tou to install for $399 for four wheels.

15. www.muskegonbrake.com has been doing them for 30+ years I'd guess. They are in Muskegon, MI a few miles from my house. If you use them and need any help let me know. I've bought a lot of calipers already done from them and a lot of rebuild parts over the years.

Charlie

16. 409deuce

409deuce

tried that method they just send them off and they get new rubber seals. no sleeving so right away or at best a couple months...drip drip.

17. bluemoose

bluemoose

I got mine from Ecklers in Florida. Looking on their web site you can get them to less the $100/ea.

Eckler's Corvette
    5200 S. Washington Ave.
    Titusville, FL. 32780

It's been awhile but they had great customer service too.

18. 41fastback

41fastback

Buy new sst piston ones from a Corvette parts place and use silicone fluid. I have them on my ride for 8 years that way. Regular brake fluid will cause them to stick, after sitting unused for the winter months.

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

re: using air to blow out the pistons....you only get to do that to the first one in the caliper...seldom do they both pop at the same time...after that it's hard to plug that hole so the air gets directed to the other. On the stickier ones, I have used a batter terminal spreader plier and/or a nice pair of snap ring pliers with serrated contact surfaces on the outside of the end.

I've rebuilt several 4p calipers on Vettes and early Shelby 'stangs - easy to rebuild on the bench, but you GOTTA sleeve 'em unless you just like rebuilding them on a regular basis.

dj

20. bob308

bob308

my 66 vette has been setting for 4 years now and have no problems with the breaks. mine were done by muskegon. lonestar sets up behind me at carlisle. their calipers looked good too.

21. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

I'm curious what major chain auto parts store sells four piston GM calipers.

22. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Pretty much all of them. They were OEM til '82. I put some on for a customer recently, and I'm pretty sure they came from O'Reilly's. For the price he paid, I doubt they were sleeved, but its been 6 months or so andno issues. SSBC, Lonestar, Van Steele , and Vette Brakes and Products are all reputable sources in the Corvette world for sleeved calipers.

23. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I put the ones from SSBC on my 69 back in the early 80's. At that time it was right at $400 exchange for the 4 calipers, a quart of silicone fluid, and new pads all the way around. Went ahead and put on a new master cyl and hoses at the same time.

Flushed the lines out with alcohol while everything was apart. This is important if switching to silicone fluid because DOT5 and DOT3 don't play well together. What I did was pull the old M/C and flush it out good, and then put it back on and used it to pump the alcohol thru the system. Then pulled the old M/C again and blew out the lines with air before putting anything new back in place.

If you've never used silicone fluid before, it can be tricky to get all the air out. Whatever you do, DON'T EVER shake a container of silicone fluid. It'll entrain tiny air bubbles in the fluid and you'll have to let it sit for several days before the air will clear out. The system needs to be pressure bled right from the start, because the normal pump up the pedal and bleed action will entrain air into the fluid too. Seems like a pain in the ass, but the same fluid has been in mine for close to 30yrs now, and you can pop the lid off the M/C and the fluid is clear as water.

New unsleeved calipers used with DOT 3 fluid will be pretty much shot to hell by the time they're 5-6 yrs old.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  24. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Alot of good info here...but make sure before you send them off that you know exactly what you have...the casting number on the side of the caliper will tell you what its from. Corvette is one casting number...'67-'68 full size GM, GTO Firebird have another and Camaro has another yet. Just Google the casting number to be sure...I dont think Corvette calipers will bolt onto a bracket made for a Camaro or GTO caliper for example...

25. papajohn

papajohn

I used to work at SSBC, and I don't think they sleeve and rebuild them anymore. But they do sell Korean (China?) repops. If you are not looking for original, sell your cores to a restorer and consider this route. They also make some beautiful aluminum caliper that they make in Clarence NY, that would give you better braking force. Check out their web site or give them a call.

26. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

there is a place in dover ohio ill get the number for ya .from my friend who lives close by ..

27. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

here it is ..

Rudy Richter.....330-447-6280

Or...330-339-6054 Home; 330-364-3366 work....

28. spikebot 81

spikebot 81

The stock vette calipers have a lip seal around the pistons that are leak prone and will act like air pump to introduce air into the system if the rotor runout exceeds Gm specs. The best fix is to install SS sleaves with the O ring seals. Here is a link for a very good suppier.

http://www.vbandp.com/