Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I need a little help from you guys.

Regarding building front nerf bumpers, how do they attach to the frame stand (as seen in the picture below)? Is there shaft from the bumper that goes into that short tube, then locked in with set screws from the side???

Attached Files:

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The shaft is the continuation of the bottom hoop through the mount on the frame which is tubing into which the hoop slides. You will need to provide a shouder for the tube to butt to the mount. The end of the tube is best filled with a welded spud and drilled and tapped for a 5/16 or 3/8 cap screw and washer as under some conditions you may be pulling the car by the bumper.

See photo oops upload is failing, I'll try separately

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hair is highly overrated!!:D

4. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Thanks for the nerf bumper advise. I understand your description too. I usually have a knack for figuring this stuff out in my head. But I wanted a pro to back it up.
    I just don't get to see these cars on a regular basis, and never seen one apart (in person).

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

One of three I tried, not the best one.

This is a top view, the receiver tube for the bumper is part of a triangulated shock mount welded to the main frame tube which is totally hidden behind the bumper tube. You can see the Dzus tabs which are also welded to the frame.

Attached Files:

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Nice, compact design. I see the shoulder you mentioned earlier. It has to be on there pretty tight, and use heavy duty hardware to stay together after contact with another car.

I replied to your direct email by the way. But it bounced back due to your spam filter.

7. John Stimac

John Stimac

Jackie Howerton back then, and today

Attached Files:

8. Jerracer

Jerracer

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It sold today for $14,500. Cheap.

10. wynns #1

wynns #1

Just want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and for those who will be traveling, be safe and keep it between the fences!

11. jimg12

jimg12

Been sick last few days. Want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New, Healthy [at our age] new year.
    Jim

12. easter

easter

Merry Christmas everyone. We're going to Denver to be with our son. Sorry, but we're going in a vehicle that's not an open cockpit and does have wings. I'm so ashamed. Now have a scanner and will get the pics posted when we get back. Thank you for having this thread - it's made my holidays.

13. To everybody on the HAMB/Vint. Sprint Car Pic Thread, the info & pix posted have been terrific the past 12 months.

To All, a Very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.
    mlight9

14. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

15. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

hey bob.......nice to see you in here. hope all the cicconi`s are doing well.........check out the 48 hillegass i`m restoring for skip m...............search for 1948 hillegass sprint car on here ......jim martel

16. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

I would like to wish everyone on the board a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Doug Post

17. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Happy Hoildays and Seasons Greetings!
    Lee Greenawalt

[​IMG]

18. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Bob Cicconi at Williams Grove Speedway 1989! enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great photo of Bob! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

20. Buildy

Buildy

Merry Christmas to all my friends here in the Sprint Car thread!

21. racer5c

racer5c

22. Ralph Parkinson Sr. passed away after after a battle with cancer yesterday. A member of 4 Halls of Fame, with more to come, he was born and raised in Wichita Falls, Texas before moving to Kansas City, Missouri in 1971. He turned down a shot at Indy so that he could stay home and raise his sons.

This tribute is from Mike Monatoboy of Lawton, OK.

23. ronny

ronny
    from troy ohio

merry christmas to all
    any body have any pictures of don hewitt or of old super modifieds from eldora early 60s

Attached Files:

24. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Bob ..

That was NEAT!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you & yours too.

Hope to see you at Mike Osite's Roast at Lenny Boyd's in March. Lots of people you know will be there.

25. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Ken: That would be great, but I have to get invited first. Glad to see you're still involved in racing! ;)

26. Roy, cool video, but isn't that Winchester?
    HG :cool:

27. Offy 220

Offy 220

28. racer5c

racer5c

looks like Winchester to me, not my video just sharing it

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey again Bob ..

Gary Mondschein is running it. .. I THINK he knows how to contact you? .. I'll tell him to give you a call. .. Tickets are $20.00, includes a buffet dinner, beer, etc., plus it will be at your old friendly rivals (Lenny Boyd's) Ocean Aire facility in NJ too. .... I can almost still picture (in my old rusty brain) you & Lenny shaking hands (almost) while still moving in your midgets, after a very hard fought, wheel to wheel battle between the two of you, at New Egypt (NJ), some years ago. I did however forget which of you won?

They'll not only ROAST Mike Osite (that should be a HOOT!!!), but also honor the (Long Island) BAD GUYS, the team that was out of the late Pete Petraitis's shop (Pete's Auto Parts) here on Long Island.

We're also going to try to bring Johnny Mann (now in his 80's) along with us.

I understand they ROASTED your Dad a few years back. .. I would have ENJOYED being there for that. .. Among many other things, when I think of him is .. the time he bought all the cones (in the corners) before the feature .. at an indoor show at the Atlantic City (NJ) Convention Hall. That always comes to my mind. .. I think it was the late Ed Ennes who was left shaking his head for days? :)
    There was to be a fine for each cone someone hit (cutting the corners short) in the feature.
    Your Dad almost always managed to add a lot of color, flavor & fun to things. ;)

Anyone else interested in the Mike Osite Roast, Bad Guys tribute .. PM or eMail me with your phone number and I'll put Gary Mondschein in touch with you.

Hey 'ya all .. let's not forget that theres a Vintage Cageless Midget thread here on the H.A.M.B. too.

The picture is the late Pete Petraitis (striped shirt) and his lead "Bad Guys" team car #40, with Billy Courtwright up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010