Register now to get rid of these ads!

aussie hambers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thommoina33, Dec 22, 2010.

1. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

o.k guys, don't shoot me down on this, but i've been giving a little thought to this with my limited brain cells.
    After looking in envy at the Pasadena reliability run, i'm wondering if there's any interest in a similar event down south in victoria.
    As part of my job i do a fair bit of travelling, today i passed through the dandenong ranges,through Kalista,Gembrook,Monbulk etc.
    I really forgot how good the scenery and the drive is.

Obviously we can't recreate the history of Pasadena but maybe we can start something.

Anyway,just a thought, let me know yours,cheers,thommo.
    p.s, merry christmas.

OzMerc39 likes this.
  2. i like the idea, but im far from being an owner of anything pre 40's and open topped. pasadena is a roadsters only event correct? you might need to factor in how many roadsters we have here, would you be making it hamb friendly only? if so that would drastically cut your entrants list. if you were to have it, maybe have it also as an invitational? if you were to put in to a cut of list of age say pre '54 and include coupes sedans and tudors it could work but that might blur the lines between run and cruise. these are some points to ponder.
    -Rhys

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Fine idea you organize it and i'll come:D
    oggie

4. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

good points rhys,we don't have the roadsters here to support a roadster/open event, maybe some guidlines as per chopped and limit entries for the first run.wouldn;t like to see this becoming another street rod run/cruise.it would have to have it's own unique feel and i think with the right cars and entrants this could happen.
    cheers,thommo

5. 63Compact

63Compact

Hell yes traditional style rods and customs only for a cruise through the hills! Do it and they will come. A few of us have been toying with the idea but couldnt think of a good scenic drive that wasnt miles away to start with. I'll be there. keep us posted.

6. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a great idea to have only HAMB friendly cars, be it roadster, coupe, sedan etc. That would up the balance of cars to suit our population compared to that of the USA. Good luck with it.
    Too bad I live in Sydney. :rolleyes:
    Cheers Dago.

7. fat141

fat141

Too bad I live even further north, sounds like a great idea. Good luck.
    Merry Christmas;);)
    Rod

8. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

o.k,good response so far, just got of the phone from stovebolt,we'd really like to make this happen, lets keep this thread going.if theres enough of a response and genuine enthusiasm i'll try and organise a
    bbq and have a yak around the end of january.

9. sounds good, my car is still a ways from done and the old man is trying to sort out his '34 for full rebuild next year but sounds like something we'd make an effort to attend if it gets off the ground and have something driveable within the guidelines you set.

10. Built a few fancy houses in that area 30 years ago. Lots of hidden side roads. Really a beautiful area. The places mentioned were full of Sunday drivers. On a Sunday ofcourse.

11. 63Compact

63Compact

January is a pretty full calendar how about Feb.

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The PRC RR is an invitation only run, with a strict criteria to entrant's selection for an invitation.
    Staying true to the cause shouldn't be a problem.
    Small is good - keeps the L300's out ;)

13. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

no probs, still 12 mths away, run would have to be in summer months, to damn cold in those hills any other time.

14. My club in Sydney did for 2 years in the 1990's. Not such a hit. Depends who and how many you want to be in it I guess. We did a route, timed it, offered cash prizes and everything.

15. Great Idea!
    Two thumbs up here!!!!

16. Adam F

Adam F

Count me in!

I think that a driving event would be great.

Adam F

17. will be a hard juggle, but, by the same token, it will be all about the people involved that makes the difference. Invite is your best option, and keep the participants interests the focal point, can think of at least 20-30 cars that would potentially 'fit', more than that and you're either 'straying' or making it another SR event.

Still wear my belt buckle proudly.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

18. mcdonald

mcdonald
    from Australia

Yes great idea we run Bright every year so it can be dune,and the NSSR will be there.:):)

19. HEMIHUNTER

HEMIHUNTER

Hey Thommo
    Dont forget yr old mates at A.N.R. we have many cars that would like to attend, stay intouch

Gary.L

20. striper

striper

I'm definitely interested and I believe the rest of the Vultures would be also, as long as the format is right and you're not scared to say "no" to the cars you don't think fit. You have to forget about who you might offend by declining (politely) their expression of interest

21. Shit if Stovebolt has anything to do with it count me out HAHAHAH !!

Seriously, I'd be in with both of my pre 54 rides and I know the reat of the Wise Guys would dig the vibe too. Agree with Striper, ya gots to say no to the stuff that don't cut it/fit in, even if it means means overall numbers might be down.

Sounds like you could be onto something.

Rat

22. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

23. Sounds like a great idea, driving events are the best! I'd be making it invite only, to your criteria (just knocked myself out) and keep it simple. The least amount of organising you do the better in terms of obligation, liability etc.

24. Sweet , sounds like a great idea for an event and this is my local area , let me know if I can help with a few ideas , I could suggest a finishing point which has large open gardens and a car museum on a private property however classics not Rods , a few here would know it , might be attractive as a finishing point , maybe not what you are thinking :( and I would have to go an ask .

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Despite what you said about me ...... ;)

Nah seriously

Like I said, this will most likely be in keeping with the spirit of the original event, and be invite only, small and a no fuss event.

Remember - just because your car wears sandshoes, it doesn't make it a hot rod!!!

26. Striper is right, you have to have the balls to say no. Otherwise it won't be special and it will be just another street rod event. Apart from the cars, most of the plonkers wouldn't get the significance of such a run anyway.

27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Tony et al

I've got the drive to maintain the spirit :)

If I didn't keep the spirit ignited, there'd be a bunch of guys here that I couldn't look straight into their eyes ever again :eek:

28. Hi Aussie Hambers,

Really new to the HAMB and new to the Custom and Rod scene, hate to seem like the classic Newbie or worse, FNG but whats the Pasadena Run about? Did a quick Google, looks like a awesome get together of rods. Just wondering if there was some history or something special to it.

I would be happy to just see the cars drive by, not even to participate!

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Check out Don Montgomery's books - there a bunch of pictures together with an explanation of the event.

In short - it was a PR exercise to raise the "good" side of hot rodding

30. Use the search function here, there's plenty of coverage from years past!