Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 Y-Block Starter Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Mandrill, Dec 20, 2010.

1. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

This is my first Y-block experience. This thing is locked up tight. The drive is on the flywheel. Un-bolted the starter and didnt gain anything. Tugged pulled and pried.... no good. Any help, as always, is very appreciated!

<dl><dt style="width: 640px; text-align: center;">[​IMG]</dt></dl>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Whats the story with this y-block? Did you just get it? Did it run previously? Try to turn the crank by hand to make sure nothings stuck.

3. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Was running just fine, hit the starter and she's locked up. Tried bumping it in gear, etc etc. Cant turn it over because the bendix is stuck to the flywheel.

4. The starter is locked up? I believe I have the same problem on my truck. Been afraid to look, that pic is why. I can turn the crank pulley and hear the starter turning too. Is that what you have going on?

5. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Would be the same if mine would turn but it is LOCKED up. I dont know how to get the starter off. Anyone have a diagram of the starters installation / removal?

6. Oh shit. Maybe you missed a bolt? Should still fall out when unbolted, in theory.

7. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

The starter bolts? to the bendix. There is no way they come out together. IF I only had a diagram.........

8. Yep, should be 3 bolts and fall right out.

9. Why wouldn't they come out together? The bendix is part of the starter. You missed a bolt dude.

10. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

The bendix attaches to the shaft some how, it CANT come out all together. How do I make this

<dl><dt style="width: 275px; text-align: center;">[​IMG]</dt></dl>

Look like this.....

<dl><dt style="width: 400px; text-align: center;">[​IMG]</dt></dl>

With it jammed in there stuck to the flywheel?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

All 3 bolts are out.......

12. Domino

Domino

It should look like this once it is out. There are three bolts that hold the starter and the top one is a pain. Once I pulled the bolts out it wiggled right out.
    [​IMG]

13. Larry T

Larry T

Take the three starter bolts out and it should drop down enough to wiggle out. There is no way you can take the drive off with the starter bolted to the engine.
    But if you wanna try, you have to push the keeper down on the end of the shaft. When you get the spring collapsed enough that the keeper clears the pin (through the end of the shaft), you can push or tap the pin out and the drive slides off the end of the shaft.
    Back in the 60's (when I worked at an auto electric shop), if the drive was kicked in we the 6" wire brush on a grinder to "spin" them back in.
    Good luck,
    Larry T

14. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Thanks Larry, it is engaged, thats where the problem is. I will see if I can spin it back in.

15. actually it was to spin it out so it was not engaged,
    usually you need to turn the engine backwards a little bit to take tension off the starter and it should fall out
    rember life has bad Karma too
    if it persists pull the trans and belhousing or whatever to get it apart, take a big screwdriver and turn it backwards first may fall out then

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If all three bolts are out give the housing a couple of wacks with a bfh and that should loosen it up enough for it to come out.

If that doesn't work you might have to see if you can get the two bolts out of the other end and take the end frame and housing off an see if you can wiggle the armature enough to break the bendix loose from the flywheel. If it is a stick most of them will pop loose by rocking the car back and forth with it in gear. That won't work with an automatic.

And them more that I look at that photo, why does my brain think it looks like the belhousing is broken? Or is that an optical delusion?

17. k9racer

k9racer

Many of my old fords have locked up the starter. SO..Just to add to mr 48 chev be sure when rocking the car use 3 rd or high gear. On a engine with very good or high compression some of the spark plugs might need to be removed or you will have to push on compression. Good Luck Bobby..

18. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Just FYI a bigger hammer finally got it loose. I hate pounding on stuff (its my least favorite tool, son of a machinist, go figure) but sometimes that what it takes. Now after 2 hours I cant get the damn thing out. Anyone have experience with a 292 in a 54 Ford? Am I going to need to pull the motor mounts loose to get clearance?

19. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

hi these old starters had three bolts two from front and one from rear

20. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

i have a 368 yblock there is enogh room to remove the starter on mine with the exhaust off the manifold .

21. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Turn the motor with a pullbar BACKWARDS and it will fall off.

Sorry, see you already got it lose. oh well I tried.....

22. Lakehouse51

Lakehouse51
    from Virginia

368 in a 54, I want to compare notes ?

23. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I see you are in Tulsa, too. I have a couple extra starters and bendix for that, pm me if I can help you. Never taken one out in a 54 but I've heard clearance is an issue. it'll come though. Check on www.y-blocksforever.com
    lots of help there or join the yblock "group' here.

Also got a manual for a 55 thru 58 to help.