Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Did You Become A...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

I've always loved ford. Why? Henry ford

2. hoodprop

hoodprop

they all are cool but but chevy has a great looking fastback

3. One night when I was 18 and driving my 67 390 4spd mustang GT, I squared off at a stoplight with a 70 cuda with '340' on the quarter panel. I figured my built big block was gonna gobble this poor small block. The light turned green and the cuda left me in its smoke, a full length at the top of first, over 2 lengths in second, and by the time I hit 4th I was watching his tail lights fade, I got spanked and my mustang was no slouch. A couple years later I bought a 70 340 cuda and went around beating up big blocks of all types. I've had 4 70 and 71 cudas and still have 2. My wife and I have american performance and muscle cars of all makes in our collection, love 'em all, but when I want the thrill of raw power and brute accelleration, I still grab the keys to one of the mopars.

4. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Started in 55 with a dodge, went to college and got into sports cars, early MG's got out of the Navy and bought a 66 Charger, 70 Charger and have stayed with them for years, raced a 70 Duster 340 at OCR, now own a 426 300 and a 5.7 Ram. but have a 41 Packard convertable and a 38 Chev 2 dr sedan. They are all fun. Owned a 59 Found on road dead while in the Navy, only one I ever owned. Biggest POS ever.

5. Mattilac

Mattilac

I like Fords cause they are harder to build.

6. My uncle had a '70 Hemi "Cuda when I was a kid. That was enough for me.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I think Plymouth and Dodge lied about the horsepower rating of the little 340.. :D I have an uncle that's about 16 months older than I am.. I remember when he bought an orange
    '71 Dodge Demon 340 with an auto trans back in '74.. We'd go out on saturday nights and race on U.S. 24... That car was spankin' the shit out anything that came near it. The car was that wicked..... :D

8. You have a CAR ?? >>>>.

9. I ws made in a Chevy so I had no choice.

Attached Files:

10. 41GASSER

41GASSER

As a kid dad worked for Chrysler and his friend brought over a new red 69 Road Runner & mom drove a Mopar. In the sixties Gassers were king and those were the model cars I built. I was brain washed from early on.

11. mrforddude

mrforddude

I remember helping my Dad as a kid firin up a bunch of old cars that had been left to rot away. The ones that stuck in my head the most were the old Fords, don't know why just somethin about all the smooth lines and the way a flathead sounds at idle with a nice set of duals. Then there is no denying the sound of a Mustang, I have no clue as to how in the hell they made a mod motor sound the same as a 5.0 but you can hear a Mustang and you know what it is.

I have nothing against the "other" brands... I've made a killing off of working on the generals crap for years...

12. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

A........ ODD DUCK?! Buick at birth. Dad had a 65 GS . But Im A truck guy, Got to go to grandpa's then to the dump then the bar in a 63 Chevy pickup, as a lil tike. I have a warm spot for a 60-66 Chevys. My Grandpa hated Fords, After he got headed-on in his 66 Buick by a drunk driver I set off with him to pick out a new car., I didn't have much say being a lil tike. He wanted a 4 door sedan. I wanted the new Comaro .So the Shit Green Ford Maverick found its way back to the garage. Ill never forget him cursin at that that car. Chevy let me down in the 80s' with the gas converted deisel. Literaly traded a dead P.O.S. for a 71 Chrysler. Walked to the nearest phone to call for help, got talkin to the guy rakin leaves with the old Chrysler next to the house. Didnt need a ride afterall . Mopar guy ever sinse!

13. mainly GM

For my daily car i have 2x a chevy van. it always bring me any were with no problems.

i think i'm a chevy man because of my dad. he always bought new american chevy cars.

and i'm a big van off the ls series engines. clean power out off the box.

14. sololobo

sololobo

"Love the one your with"!! Works for me, my fave is the one my hands or eyes are on at the time. Love em'all. ~sololobo~

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My dad is to blame. He had pretty much nothing but Chevys and Buicks. When I went to high school in the mid 60's the tri five Chevys were the most popular cars, and I bought a '57. Been a diehard Chevy guy ever since, but I appreciate all the others too!

16. dmw56

dmw56

No brand loyalties here. I have AMCs, Fords, Chevys, Mopars, and Studebakers. However, mostly Fords (5).

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

First car was a Mopar.
    second was a Chevy
    third was a Ford.

I still have the Mopar
    I still drive my Chevy Trucks, and own a 53 chevy
    and Im building a Ford with a Chevy engine

I guess in not a Chevy guy or Mopar Guy or Ford Guy..I think im a car guy

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm not brand loyal. They all make shit, and they all make good stuff. Depends on what year, what purpose, and what style.

19. I like what I like. Not really prejudiced about either make. I have had more Fords than any other car because they made more of the ones I liked.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've owned a bit of everything over the years and the only consistent vehicle in the stable has been the 48 that I have had since 1973 except for about a year back in the mid 70's when I sold it because I wanted something else and then traded a 57 panel back for it when I had the panel for sale.
    I started out with a 51 Mercury, my only new car was the 69 Cutlass S I special ordered when I was in Viet Nam. I've had more Mopars than any other brand over the years, 69 Barracuda, 68 NewYorker and three vans. Oops also 4 Cadillacs and another Olds. Add the 71 GMC that is my daily, a 70 Chev C10, 59 El Camino, 71 Buick 225, 64 Chev rag top, 74 Pontiac wagon 72 Chevelle, an Audi and a Mazda and those are most of the cars that I had over the past that I and my wife actually drove plus who knows how many that came and went that didn't.
    The hot rod/ custom stable at the moment includes the 48 Chev a flathead Ford six powered roadster in the making an the collection of parts that will be an A V8 someday if another body for the 8BA doesn't yell "pick me" and get first dibs on the engine.
    But just to drive them I like Cadillacs of any year and still want a 51/53 Hardtop.

21. rixrex

rixrex

Nowadays, doesn't matter, the wierder the better..back in the day it was all Chevrolet!..seems thats what was always kicking ass at the dragstrip and the first car my Dad and I put together was a 55 Chevy. We always had Ford vs Chevy Sat. night and nothing could touch the Chevrolets or anything powered by Chevrolet..as time went along, just couldn't bring myself to build a Camaro or Chevelle or Mustang or Barracuda..so the next car was a 49 Cadillac, after that a 46 Nash coupe etc. etc.

22. sgnova72

sgnova72

My family always had some form of GM product while I was growing up. I just leaned toward the Chevy's. Now my everyday cars are from the Chrysler corp. (from twelve years working in Dodge dealerships) and I still have my passion for the old Chevy's.

23. 52pig

52pig

I own 3 Chevys, they were cheap, and almost given to me. Although I do like the '49 to '52 passenger cars, there are some others I'd rather own.
    But if I'm any thing like my father, I'm an anything I can make fast guy.
    As of now I have my first complete Ford flathead v8 to rebuild and I have a '59 Caddy 390 I'm playing with. We'll see what they go into and then I'll get back to ya.

24. I don't follow any particular brand, all car companies make some nice cars, some crap ones too.

More crap ones than anything else unfortunately. :(

Thanks

Hayden

25. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My old man worked at a Ford dealer and I followed him when I got old enough, so I guess I'm a Ford guy. I did have a Pontiac GP and an Olds Delta something through the years. Good cars. I'm also thinking about one of those Chevy HHR Panel's for my next daily. They just look cool.

26. darkk

darkk

Chevy guy. Until a few years ago everything was pretty much interchangeable block for block. Any model any year. it's getting a little different with the new generation motors now...

27. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I became a teenager in the mid 50's and loved the tri 5 Chevy styles. Got into drag racing in the 60's and raced what I thought was cool. Built and raced some 57's in C/MP, D/G and D/A and did the Saturday night Ford vs Chevy drags and King of the hill stuff too.

You could get/find Chevy parts in the bone yards and swap many different parts around on the sbc's to make some cheap horse power. Plus the after market stuff was getting plentiful. In drag racing, you tend to build quite a collection of parts and tend to keep using what you know/have. So it's been Chevy stuff for me ever sense.

Got 3 in the garage right now, all small blocks. A Tahoe, a Corvette and a 56 pickup. Retired now and going back to the tri-five stuff once more.:D

I like many of the different brand stuff, but I tend to stick with what I know and can work on. To old to start learning the other kinds now.

All that said, if the right one comes along, you just never know... still looking.:D

28. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

I always wanted to be different I guess -- I have had everything from Fiats to Jags to 49 Austin pickup with a tunnel-ram BBC to Air-cooled VW's to Mustangs of all years and sizes -- The Wife limits me to one car at a time - because that is all that will fit into the garage and there ain't no backyard here LOL

Currently have a fever for this 56 VW bug I've got in the garage -- stuffing an 3000cc ACVW engine, with a turbo, with an inner-cooler, with EFI and all the good stuff -- WHY???? Who the hell knows LOL

And I've got my eye on this '57 Renault Gordini -- that just says come play with me, I'm so sexy -- LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  29. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

My Grandpa was a loyal ford man.

It may be genetic though.

I was 12 or 13 and spotted a candy apple red 68 mustang fastback in Hot Rod it was 87 or 88 and the damn thing was tubbed and blown with steam-rollers on the back of it, to me it was the definition of bad ass and I was drawing pictures of it on every piece of paper I came in contact with.

My mom stopped to look at what i was drawing one night and casually says to me "Oh, your dad had one of those when we got married. We decided to sell it because for some reason, the clutch kept going out of it".

I immediatly knew why the clutch kept going out of it but didn't rat the old man out. :D

I was blown away that without my previous knowledge, my dad had the exact year and body style of car that I thought was the coolest car on the planet, and as far as musclecars go I still do.

During my formative years there were ford trucks around.

One in particular, my uncle bought a 77 f-250 highboy with a granny 4 speed, but it had a 390 and headers.

He eventually sold it to my dad.

I was 8 or 9 and we were cutting wood down in a ravine and it got some barbed wire hung up on the rear axle.

For some reason I can't remember why, my dad had me start it up and try to drive it out.

I got a quick lesson in driving a stick and he went to the back to get the wire loose i suppose, any way, not knowing what to do, just following the old mans instructions, I started it up dumped the clutch and whacked the throttle and having that 390 and those headers roaring under the cab and the feel of the wheel in my hand, snow flying in the air (it was in 4wd) and climbing about 20 ft. of hillside before he yelled for me to stop. was a religious experience for a kid raised on a weekly dose of the dukes of hazzard.

Fast forward 28 years. I have a 99 f-250 super duty with oversize bfg at's and dual exhaust. I have been driving a winter beater to save on gas and the pickup was parked on the side of the house. we have got almost 40 inches of snow since I had parked it there and I needed to move it yesterday. I was snowblowing, because it was snowing again! So instead of wasting time blowing snow out from behind the truck and because my impressionable 7 yr. old and 2yr. old boys were watching (safely from the porch with their mom) I went full on redneck and just put it in 4 wd, stabbed the loud pedal and blasted through the drift out into the street. then I took it out of 4wd and rooster-tailed it all the way to the corner spun a 180 in the intersection and came back and parked it, revved it up and shut it off and went back to snowblowing. Hopefully the fords disease is spreading quickly:D

30. asshole... because women SUCK!!!! all they want from you is your man juice, what ever urges i cant supress with hard liqour i use... music

car guy... because my dad took me to every car show, swap meet, junk yard (lied about my age alot because i was tall), and anything car related he could when i was growing up, so i could have a love for these cars...

tom