Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford shock tower modification.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cars66cyclone, Dec 20, 2010.

1. cars66cyclone

cars66cyclone

Do any of you other gear heads out there have or know where I can find directions or measurements for cutting down the shock towers on a 66 Cyclone to allow better engine clearence?

2. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

3. sonoramic

sonoramic
    from Maryland
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Unless your putting a Rolls Royce Merlin in that thing, you shouldn't need to cut down the towers. These things came with FE's in 'em stock.

4. Jared Carnahan

Jared Carnahan

Yeah but this man, may wana put a 351 Cleveland or 429/460 in that merc and I hope he does

5. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Cutting the shock tower will weaken the front end under that car. That hole front sheet metal is part of the unitized frame. For racing they even tie the top of the tower together so the suspension will not move around.

Second why do you need more room. Some 66 cyclone/comets had Fe big blocks in them.

We have cut them out on a straight axle car but we had to put struts from the front of the frame rails to the firewall to keep the frame rails from moving up and down.

6. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

You mean shave them down. There are no set measurements, just cut your clearance in so it won't interfere with the coil spring, then box and weld the area back in.

[​IMG]

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Like 35 Dodge said;no set measurements.I usually allow 1 to 11/2" above the top of the a-arm,then cut back towards the spring.I usually leave that raised area between the a-arm bolts.Weld inside and out and clean the engine bay side up .I've had mine trimmed for over 26 years of wheelstanding drag racing and many street miles,never had any movement or cracking,I do have adjustable,aluminum, shock tower braces!! ROY.

8. cant ya just do what they do in the 65-66 stangs for a 351 or other shave em down and put in a strut tower brace?