Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it good enuf 4 downstairs Detroit Autorama?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jxnslotcar, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Autorama basement examples. You may not have to do much. The wagon is pretty cool tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

You spent all day replying to this thread, trying to defend your ignorance and trying to sell everyone on how you think your car deserves to be admired. You could have spent all day working on your car. In that amount of time you could have dropped it, shaved it, taking out dents, shaved your whitewalls into wide whitewalls. Come on man, nobody wants to look at a stock 4-door with a V8 under the hood. It's boring. Even if it had a flaked roof, people would walk right past it at a show and not even blink. Spend some time on the car, make it look good, then when you're proud of it, take it to a show. I don't like 4 doors but I can appreciate one if it were tastefully customized. It doesn't need thousands of hours or thousands of dollars invested to be cool, it just needs to be cool. Your car, in it's current state, is not cool.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, but not quite dumb enough, and that where a little Chachi comes in handy.

[​IMG]

4. Deuces

Deuces

Lets say we axe this one........

5. downunder55

downunder55
    from australia

Its not the first of april is it????????

6. Deuces

Deuces

No, not at all.. We still got over 4 months to go yet.. :eek::(:rolleyes:

7. sololobo

sololobo

Full means Full The New Yorker is a way cool old car, as I am a MoPar lover. It just isn't quite ready yet, come to the show, look for outside rock-star parking and enjoy the show, get it ready for next year after looking at some ideas at the show. Walla an early entry after approval and it all works out. Peace and Love friends, Happy Holidays. ~sololobo~

8. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I would like to tell the guys who are looking to axe this thread to please go read something else But I won't. I am asking for help not bs.
    There are 2 cars above,the Plymouth wagon and the 2 dr chevy that were downstairs. Thanks for digging them out by the way,and these are good examples for my question as to what is the difference between these and the old Chrysler I am working with? Some of you are saying this thread is dumb and getting dumber. I am here asking a legitimate question and I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know the answers to them. Why would these cars be in the show and not a car like the New Yorker even with a new drive train,updated electrics and suspension,patina or new paint and then something done with the interior? I am here to learn or maybe relearn something that i had forgotten and not done in many,many years. I am trying to understand what the differences are and what could be done for this car to be something that could go into a show like the basement at Cobo. We were going down a path that is my fault and i apologise for that as it was not my intention to do so. I was looking for some kind of comparisons and deffinitely chose the wrong cars. The cars pictured above are pretty close to where this car is and in fact this car is in better shape and will be alot better shape than what these 2 are in a month or so.IT is funny tho that the wagon has the required blanket,which to me is a way to hide bad seats. ;)
    I picked up a 59 Olds 88 2 dr with a 371 a week or so ago and a 50 Chevy 2 dr deluxe. I realize that these would be better suited towards becoming a hot rod/custom than what this car is mainly because they are 2 drs.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  9. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

come on Deuces,help me out here. There is got to be some kind of coolness that could be brought out in the New Yorker in your eyes. Solobo (sorry if it is spelled wrong) is a Mopar lover and sees it and I am trying to see it. Solobo,what would you do to this car? What engineering quality would you highlight?

10. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Know what you call a Ridler contender with "a couple thousand hours in it"? A LOSER. Granted, it may be a beautiful car, but a couple thousand hours is nothing compared to what these cars get. For example, take a look at a Foose car...last I heard, his shop gets like $85/hr (from an interview several years ago), and a Ridler car is typically a 1.5-3 MILLION dollar effort. Do the math.You're REALLY talking apples and oranges now. No one is talking down to you, but be realistic. Your car COULD earn a spot there, but you're not there yet...don't rush it. Frankly, if I went to this, paid my hard earned money, and saw a mostly stock, unrestored, barely modified ANYTHING I would be pissed. Of course, they do admit rat rods, and with the bar set that low I can see where the confusion would come in. Add in the "buddy system" at many shows, and it explains the substandard or out of place cars.

BTW, this board is very liberal about what is accepted as a "traditional hot rod...most that claim to be, aren't, and I don't mean that as a knock to anyone. No matter what you do to some cars (New Yorkers included), they won't be a "traditional hot rod". Custom, yes (you can customize anything), but for something to be "Traditonal" people had to do it in the past...and New Yorkers were luxury cars, not hot rods. Most hot rodders encounters with one were only long enough to pull the engine.

11. Deuces

Deuces

You could turn it into a lead sled custom wit air bags... This might have already been brought up by a couple of the members... I haven't read this thread all the way though yet.. But man, you got lotz to do before it's ready for the "BIG" show in down town Motown...

12. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Looking at these examples, I would have to say your car would fit with these with a wheel treatment change.
    I think you are asking in the wrong place, You need to ask those who make the decisions as to floor placement.
    My car has been accepted at several shows, has won several Best of Show awards. The awards have been a 15 minute ego fliush. Nothing will compare to hanging out and making friends. You can do that without showing your car. What I found is it is more convenient to show a car and being able to take your chair and cooler.

What I found with my car is it is not how many modifications made or whether you have deep pockets. It is in the details. The operative word in car shows is SHOW, And a lot of that is involved in first impressions.
    I will post a photo of my car just to show you that details count.
    This car won cash awards at The Tulsa Starbird show, and made it to the Bronze award at the Starbird Museum show. It is on the Wall of Fame at the Starbird museum.
    I have no doubt it would have been accepted at The Detroit show, had I wanted it there.

Granted, there was time and effort involved, but it can happen to your car if you want it strong enough.
    Do not try to build or modify your car for someone else. Decide on what YOU want it to be, and stick to YOUR plan!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  13. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

and denise,i went through some of the links,will go through all of them when I have more time. Thank you,they are really some good sources of info as what to maybe do with a car.
    I realize most of the info is here to be searched but it is hard to search for something when you are basically looking for ideas. That is really why i asked what the differences are so that I might be able to come up with some ideas as to what could or should be done with this car.
    At work when we have a problem,I always get everyone involved to explain what is going on and then throw it out there to see if anyone has a better insight on what may be the right way to go with a problem. Everyone is more involved and I feel like we make feer mistakes. i am not perfect and even tho I have been 35 yrs in the business of repairing vehicles,I do not know all the answers. I learn something new every day and if I don't,I feel as if it was a wasted day.
    There are some things that I am very good at and that would include,computers,EFI,electrical,driveability. I struggle with getting ideas together to make something look good. Once I have the idea in my head as to what should be done,then i am capable of bringing that idea/ideas to fruition. But I always ask for opinions from everyone. For those of you who have put forth some ideas or constructive criticisms,thank you and please keep this going as i would like to see the answers to my questions written out in black and white. That way,they are not just some random ideas or images of ideas bouncing around. Sorry if this sounds dumb to you but I really am trying to learn a few things here. Jim

14. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Thank you for showing a pic of your car. It deserves the awards it has won and is very obvious as to the amount of time involved in building that car. Very nice. and you are right in the fact that showing a car makes you more involved and more likely to be able to spend the time at a show talking with others who have the same interests.

15. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Ok that makes sense to me. The way you are explaining traditional makes good sense to me. I have a 55 Chevy 2 dr post,a 59 Olds 2 dr 88 and a 50 Chevy 2 dr post. Anyone of these 3 cars would be more inclined to have been used "back in the day" to make a rod than the New Yorker.
    But "back in the day" the guys worked with what they had and if that meant a New Yorker than that is what they used and they did not care if someone else cared or not. Not that the New Yorker was used much-I am sure it probably was not. Truthfully,the idea with this car was to get a drivetrain in it,change over the electrics to 12 volt,update the suspension and then maybe leave the paint original so that someone could see it is not a bondo buggy or paint it and then sell it.
    I like all types of cars and would be one of those guys with a huge collection if I had the wherewithall to be able to do so but I can barely afford to pay attention with the way the economy in Michigan is.
    I would like to have a car in the show only to feel like I was involved from the inside rather than coming there as a looker which after a few hours is hard for me to justify staying there especially when you don't know anyone. With a car there,you are there before and after a show opens or closes and you have a better chance with meeting up with others who have the same interests anf hobbies that you might have. So with that being said,there are many advatages to showing a car and not just to get an award. it would be nice to get one but not necessary for me to do something like this. I am using the New Yorker as an example because if I could make that car cool enough to warrant a spot downstairs then it is possible for someone to use any car to turn into a custom/hotrod,ect. I realize that just because it is old does not make it cool but i am one of those guys who appreciate most older cars and look for the coolness in a car that has no readily apparent coolness to it.
    there are several questions being asked in this thread and i apologise for not being more forthright in what those questions are. I am sorting this subject out as i go so as to be able to better understand the look and feel of a traditional or custom or hot rod,ect. Again,thanks to all of you who are contributing. Jim

16. Master of None

Master of None

I wouldn't worry about if its good enough to get a place in the basement. I'd build it how you want and then drive it. At the end of the day all you have to please is yourself.

17. LabRat

LabRat

18. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Diamonds to Dog Shit.......I love that one.

The New Yorker......?........not with your attitude. Slap something together just enough to get in the door? no way.

The New Yorker?......why?..........seems that you have plenty of other material already that Will make a nice trad. car............

Why in the hell would you trade a 50 OLDS for the frickin New Yorker in the first place?

We All could go on and on............and you Still would not get the point.

and pickin' on Denise is NOT good. Even with the lame apology.............and I don't even know her.

Many have tried to tell you the difference in what makes a "hot rod"...It ain't the car, it's the attitude.

Mark

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about an answer to your question. Roadstar here on the HAMB is in charge of the basement. Send him a PM and ask how you enter the show. If he sends you an application fill it out, return it (along with any money required), and wait for an answer. If he approves your application .........your in!!! Now, if he rejects the car you'll PROBABLY find out the answer to your initial inquiry. If your car is rejected don't take it as something personal made by an elitist who has a little power. Rudy has been doing this for YEARS and didn't get the job by being "out of the loop" so to speak.
    Finally, can i give a little advice? There have been some very helpful things said to you about your car. You have chosen to take them with a chip on your shoulder. Maybe not initially but it turned out that way simply because of what you noted..............sometimes the written word doesn't convey meaning like face to face conversation. I'm 66 years old and will tell you from experience.............you've got a lot of growing up to do. Might not seem like it now but 30-40 years from now you'll understand. You can take that to the bank.
    One parting shot. I'm sure you don't realize it but you've picked the wrong person/car to make your case. Not only has Denise spent years (and untold thousands of dollars) to build her car but she has put 100,000 miles( if not it's close) on it crisscrossing the country, rain, shine, snow and wind while building it. Along the way she has become an ambassador of sorts not only for the hobby but the HAMB. She counts litterly thousands of hot rodders and "civilians" as CLOSE friends. If you want to get "on the fighting side" of a BIG portion of the HAMB just try "calling her out" so to speak, again, and you might find yourself very unwelcome here.

Frank Burrell (fab32)

20. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I have a question I don't think has been asked yet: Why do you want to get in the basement?

21. Seriously, your car was bought new, more then likely by a middle class family, as their personal family car. Kids of the day did not dream of owning one of them to hot rod. Kids may have bought it for parts, sure..some very creative people may have even considered it as potential for a custom, unlikely though. It is more then a stretch, to even consider your car in its present state, to warrant any comment or interest (good or bad)..it is simply an old 4 door family car. I try to live with the philosophy of "To each their own", but damn..it's really time to be realistic. Potential for a custom, sure..but that could really include any car. Finish your car, then ask the question "Is it good enuf 4 downstairs Autorama)..until then, all, I include myself in this, are only speculating on an unknown.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, seriously?

That she puts more miles on than you do your daily driver. Why do you make it sound like a bad thing that she built a nice car?

They'd be embarrassed to be seen in Grandma's 4 door.

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Best thing you could do with that Dodge is drive it to the crusher. Then use that money to get into the Autorama and go downstairs to buy Denise a beer :)

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jeez man, I love my old grandma but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see her in a burlesque show! (You're not one of these really young guys with a super hot young grandma, are you?)

No offence intended.
    Paul

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Send in your application and see what happens.
    thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.