Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving the 40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

After several months of tinkering with the 40 Ford I bought this summer it is to a point where I feel comfortable driving it and making it back home O.K. Took it 25 miles to work Thursday and have been having a ball just using it as a regular car. People really comment on the car and often ask to see the motor. Few recognise the vintage Olds(1957) But some older guys like me do. Yesterday a kid in a new 427 Rousch Mustang pulled reving his motor and grinning at me. He goosed it a little at about 5 mph. when he did I eased the throttle down and dumped the clutch. The combination of single pull rear axle and very light rear body weight make for some really smokey burn outs. This startled the kid and he floored the Mustang and spun so hard he was going nowhere. The kid short shifted the Mustang, hooked up and went by me like a missle! I let up after about a half a block and looked around feeling a little foolish. There was a group of working guys in a crew cab who came up at the next light.
    One older guy rolled down his window and was laughing and said he never thought he would see a 427 Mustang and a 40 ford hook on a street in 2010! A bit silly way for a 61 year old guy to act, but great fun no doubt.
    Got to think about a posi soon.

2. So you're the guy that's giving us hot-rodders a bad name.;)

3. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

What a blast took of 15 years right then and there

4. That's FUNNY!
    That smart ass kid should probably remember that moment the rest of his life!

5. Fun! Let's see a pic of the '40.

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Keep the hot rod light burning!!!!

7. big bad john

big bad john

......Ya.......This is just the begining.....racing the punks, picking up young women and staying out all night...........old farts like me can only dream about those things.........go get them Killer.........Big Bad John

8. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello guys, thanks for the comments, You have to understand the culture here. The bars stay open all night if they care to, drive through Daiquiri stands and such as that. The corner gas station near me serves roast beef po boys all night long. The Christmas season is when things really get uninhibited. I do sometimes stay out a little late.... the wife says a lot late, but that depends on your perspective! The 40 has one of those 50 foot paint jobs that looks good under the neon lights at the River Shack Bar on a late Friday night. It is Christmas time and all the local
    bars have Christmas parties on one night or another. Most of these joints have been in business for years... many years, and it would be rude of me not to attend and sample the fine cuisine as they try to out do each other. Remember in Louisiana if swims or flys or tries to run away, it is on the menu! All in good fun folks.