Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does paint color say about your hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Dec 17, 2010.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

Im not a yellow fan iether, but I beg to disagree on this one.

Attached Files:

• 193.jpg
      193.jpg
      File size:
      275.1 KB
      Views:
  2. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

Black is my favorite color on any car. It just looks classy. For a 32 5W piss yellow or puke green is just as nice.:p

3. striper

striper

Aesthetics ;)

My car is green. I think my next build will be green. I just bought another green car. Don't know why. I don't even particularly like green. Looks good on a lot of cars though for some reason.

4. LabRat

LabRat

striper , you should have pinched some other colours from work .... :D

For me , a dark straight colour (burgundy , green or blue) gives an air of dignity or refinement ...

The rest just need the right amount of flake to look good ...

5. striper

striper

Hmmm. Not sure about that. Do you know where I work?

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Like wheels, or stance, everyone knows the right color can really make a car stand out. I'm not sure how to tell which color is best, but you sure know it when you see it. I must be a sculptural thing, the color and the shape of the body and the way the light reflects off it. Something like that. That's why I prefer a gloss finish over flats. Not all the time, but to dumb down a really beautifully shaped car with a finish that doesn't bring out it's features really seems a waste. As for THE color, darker shades over lighter is about the only direction I can offer. And to not use white unless you are doing a race car or delivery truck. Gary

7. LabRat

LabRat

Your Bio says your a Fireman ... So I guess they only have red huh ? :)

8. striper

striper

Yep. Any colour as long as it's red. Not my style

Pete

9. conormulroney

conormulroney

Primer red says I'm not ready for paint, yet.

Conor

10. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

I went with the chicken,waste of money route ! sorry I liked it. my money my car !

11. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Paint is only one of many elements that comprise the total personality of the car. But it may be the most important.
    And, over time, tastes change.Back when I first saw this 32 on the cover of Hot Rod, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. At one time, I even thought pastel shades and graphics were ok.
    Today, I lean towards low-luster or all black, with little or no glitz....To me that's sinister,minimalist,all business,functional,mechanical...

Attached Files:

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

iam using black til they make something darker.
    "and the bowtie rolls on"

13. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Nice Pastel Colours- Say Easter Eggs.

Black is where it is at.:cool:

14. Skywolf,Moondog,A-men! Nuff said...

15. Low n Slow 54...Cmon man Black is sooooo coooooollllll!!!! No imagination? Give me a break....

16. Beatnick Pirate,You nailed it! Well spoken!Tell me... is my Stude Sinister,Mechanical,minimalistic,no frills,if it don't make it go fast,it aint on there!!!! I am however, going to have to bow down to the law, a little, as I am now on court supervision....that means mirrors,brakelights,wiper,turnsignals,bumper...damn...all that stuff is gonna wiegh a ton....gonna cost a couple tenths.....

17. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

18. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

19. It tells people.................what color you like!

20. brandon

brandon

color define a time period....and will set the time period for a car build. something painted with say marina blue would be leaning heavily towards a later 60's era . pastel , monochromatic colors would defently lean towards a late 80's early 90's. some colors are forever (black, red, etc) and some colors just do not seem to go away....(think chromalusion:rolleyes:)

and for the record....there are some sweet cars that were pink. 59 caddy comes to mind , as do some of the mid to late 50's mopars.....:eek:

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

VERY NICE, It must be the wheels the make and colour are the finishing touch. :D

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

What a sh#@y world it would be if all the cars were black, even if they were all high gloss, or red or blue or brown. Car color should not send out a signal that a man is of a certain persuasion, there have been just as many dudes with black cars and red cars and blue or orange cars as there have pink and purple cars that are gay. Not all gay men are feminine, thus, a man who is bad assed aggressive and tough and drives a jet black high gloss car may "technically" be just as gay as a guy in a pink one with a bow on it. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Don't be afraid to paint your car what ever color you like to look at, variety is the spice of life.

23. The car/style dictates the color. I notice a lot of people put a huge emphasis on color choice (as creating its attitude), but in reality it's the cars stance.

24. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Color?Paint? The only paint on my car is what Henry's boys put on it way back.Other than that its untouched.Yes some is bare.I have trouble with trying to match colors up to each other.So for now it stays the way it is till I can figure it out.And yes a hint of rust doenst bother me as much as it does some.Paint makes or breaks some cars but in my case the color is not important on my car .Iam more into the way it all works together mechanically.Just my 2%

25. #1,,, it says you have been able to make a decision on your own without group approval.

#2,,, it says that you ether have the ability to do the work yourself or the finances to hire someone to do the body and paint.

#3,,, I have been building hot rods for a very long time,,and I can usually spot a car the owner said to his wife,,"If you will let me build this car we will paint it any color you want",,:eek:,,
    I believe that's where a lot of the so called Easter Egg colors got their start.

I think depending on the car,,most of the standard spectrum colors will work.HRP

26. The color's meaning is different with each person.Ones reason for painting a car yellow may not mean what you think it does. I painted mine yellow because I wanted to see it from two blocks away.Its like a choice in women.I like them all but some look better in certain conditions.
    My favorite colors are blue and green but I have yet to paint one of my cars that color.

Attached Files:

27. I like yellow...on bass boats and airplanes. To me there aint but two colors for a hot rod, and I'm not too fond of red. Count me in as one of the un-creative, Black is the winner.

28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I like black and dark green. Hate the 70's brown paint jobs... especiallly two tone brown.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Really !!!

[​IMG]

30. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Black, but i think it does depend on the body style the older colors of green and blue like the shades from the 30,s and 40,s