Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project car insurance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Dec 15, 2010.

1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey guys.
    anyone have insight to help me with this subject.

My car is not registered yet, and wont be for a while. But I came to the realization today that im f*#ked if my storage place burns down. or the car is stolen or whatnot.
    At the same time...Im not made of money, So how do i protect this thing? properly...

How do you guys (If you even do) protect you project cars?
    How much does this run on avg.?

Thanks

2. Swifster

Swifster

Call Grundy or Hagerty and let them know the car is still a project. Figure out what you've put into the car and insure it for that. This isn't a problem with the two companies listed, but make sure you get an Agreed Value policy. Many companies sell Stated Value policies and these can be a problem. When you do some work on the car (say $5K worth), bring receipts and photos and raise the value of the policy.

And no, homeowners doesn't cover non-driveable cars...

3. 3ree 5trips

3ree 5trips

My dad and I both use Hagerty. best price we have found and good service.

4. sololobo

sololobo

Just get it insured as stated, I have Grundy and am very pleased to date. Chose them because of the roadside option and great attitude. Good Luck, get er done. ~sololobo~

5. bryan6902

bryan6902

I had a thread exactly like this one! I had the exact same thought! I ended up going with Hagerty, super easy to deal with and they get back to you promptly. Zero hassle if you have your act together and VERY affordable for TOTAL peace of mind.

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

I had Hagerty while my project was really just a pile of parts. I switched to Grundy because of their rates on my finished car but they would not insure my present project which is a roller.

7. big bad john

big bad john

....I have State Farm on my project(very reasonable..$50 per year) also have 3 other hotrods with them, so don't know if they insure just one project....

8. Mike Morand

Mike Morand

What if you have an incomplete project like a new rolling chassis with no VIN. Don't the insurance companies require a VIN?

9. big bad john

big bad john

.......Yes...State Farm does......also pictures

10. If you were ever in the military or your parents were in the military, you can get wis USAA for insurance. Actually USAA uses a third party called American Collector Ins. but they are pretty good. I paid $142 a year for $10,000 coverage on my 54 Ford. Also just register the car as a non operational (NOP) vehicle. Usually the NOP registration is pennies compared to a running registration.

11. Ole don

Ole don

Back in 2003, Hagerty was the only company who would insure a pile of parts even before it was a roller. They wanted emailed pictures every six months to show progress.

12. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I just had storage insurance for aggreed value up to $5K. Anything over that needed a Hagerty policy

13. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

American National will do it as well