Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Mooneyes kicked ass yesterday. With exception of a wet track in the morning, which put a slight delay in the program, we had a blast, and hanging out with newfound fellow drag racer Todd Hoffman, camping out the night before, and partying around the propane heater (Damn, it was cold!) was cool with all the stories!! Todd's injected '65 is a sight to behold, and has to be one of my new pics for a "look and performance" Comet. This car f-in screams! And only being its first time out, it can only get better. I cannot wait to see this car in March at Bakersfield.

We got knocked out early, but made it through one round. I knew I was racing with the gods of the pro-tree, and did not stand a chance against these seasoned racers but it made no difference. I was on cloud nine running a street-based altered with these guys!!

Here's a pic of Todd and I:

[​IMG]

Mooneyes also bestowed upon the Rocket one of their now famous disc trophies!! It was totally unexpected. I was told they hand out only three of their "Mooneyes Pick" awards, and if you saw the caliber of cars out there, you would realize how excited we were that the car was chosen. The Comets are rising again!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. "(Damn, it was cold!)".........LMFAO......the F is for Frezzen.Nice go'n guys!

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I'm glad you had a good time! The Rocket deserves awards,you nailed the "LOOK"!! Todd is a cool dude,I'm happy for him that his Comet got done in time.Looks like the promoter changed his rules again,OH WELL!!!! ROY.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dale,Major congrats on the Moon disc award.Very cool,& much deserved!

Myron.

5. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

That there is some cool Comets. We have to get more Comets together.

[​IMG]

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Todds 65 in ACTION.

[​IMG]

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

8. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This one was posted a few pages back.Dont know much about it other than its up in Minnesota (probably Frozen now) somewhere. These are diff pics taken from the Okay lets see some cammers thread on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I shoulda built a big block.........:cool:

10. Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

Very cool car Teddisnoke!

One of the first cars that remember my parents owning when I was a child was a 289 '65 Comet Caliente. Would love to have that one back!

11. Paul_G

Paul_G

12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I just watched that little clip. Tried to move it over in big format but couldnt.I might have to contact that guy.His 64 Marauder is almost an exact twin to mine. 64 Parklane Marauder fully loaded,a/c,pw 4 Speed car. I cant tell you how few they made.In fact his is the only other one I've ever seen.Mine is identical except I have Black interior.

[​IMG]

13. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Another Gary Williams photo. May have been posted before. Not my pic.

[​IMG]

Mike

14. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Ken,
    If you have the Charlie Morris book; "Total Performers: Ford Drag Racing in the 60's," a friend of ours owns the 427 Marauder on page 60. Painted Maroon and a real sleeper appearance. Neat story how it was found for sale sitting on a NE Philly street back in the day.

Mike

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I don't think that picture has been posted before.That is Gary in the blue pants and tan shirt with his back to the camera.He has been racing that Comet forever,almost as long as I have!!!That picture looks like Pamona,in the staging lanes. ROY.

16. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

What drivetrain is in the "Ernie the attorney" Fairlane? I have seen pictures of the car, but not of the engine. Just curious.

Mike

17. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

Mercury-I know a guy here in the Detroit area that has a Black/Black bucket seat 4 speed 64 Marauder Park Lane.I'll tell him about this site.

18. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Is Gary Williams car the 64 Comet that had some NHRA records for awhile? Brian

19. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Kool66,I assume your talking about Nick's?
    His car was posted to the Marauder thread awhile back.Flawless car.

[​IMG]

20. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Dont remember if this has been posted but it looks cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  21. fordgasm

fordgasm

22. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Yep! It is cool.

Here's an article about a car I don't remember. Ever hear of Dyno Don driving the Ugly Duckling?

http://www.georgiadragracing.com/articles/dyno-don-nicholson-atl.html

His first Comet was a station wagon, nicknamed the Ugly Duckling. The wagon had the shorter wheelbase of a Ford Falcon, and had the traction-enhancing overhang and heavy glass of a wagon, and it proved to be fairly successful. The Ugly Duckling was the runner-up at the season opening NHRA Winternationals, losing a close one to Ronnie Sox's Comet coupe. In a 1990 interview, Phil Bonner stated that he always beat the Comet Wagon in match races with his Ford Thunderbolt, but Dyno remembers differently! "I don't remember him (Bonner) ever beating me." By the spring, the wagon had been replaced by a Comet coupe, and Dyno set the NHRA A/FX record at 11.05. According to an article in Hot Rod Magazine, the Comet won 75 out of 78 match races that year. The wagon continued to be campaigned by Eddie Schartman on the match race trail after Dyno Don brought out the coupe.

23. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Ha! Never saw THAT one before.

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;Gary Williams 64 Comet is a 210HP,289,C-4 in Super Stock trim.Stock size valves in reworked heads[very tough rules],max=.060 overbore,any flat tappet cam,stock type pistons[flat tops],cast intake does not have to be stock but must have same carburator location,he uses a Ford 4100 series carb but could use a 600 Holley,has a minimum weight for the car but can move up or down one class by changing weight.He held records in SS/LA,SS/MA and SS/NA for a while.I tried for years to get Gary and his brother to build me a legal SS motor for my 65 but they always talked me out of it. ROY.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;Ernie is on here as "fordgasm",he is running a big 351W based engine with I believe a C-4,one bad assed Fairlane!!! ROY.

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Ernie and I giving the lovely Miss Amanda sweaty gas soaked sandwhich.

[​IMG]

27. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

You're making it tough on me!

I've been looking at old Cougars tonight, but this thread keeps pulling me back.

28. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

29. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Where do I get an Amanda Sandwhich? Congrats on the Disc, Way to top off the year.

Good Job Dale

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thats an awesome pic. Not to many of the roadster comet.I'm all for adding the Flip Top Comets on here.

Jack Chrisman is a Legend,Any photo of him and any Comet should be on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]