Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Voodoo Larry and the true story of "The Voodoo Idol" !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williebill

williebill

If I was walking around a show,and this car drove by,and I was seeing it for the first time.....I'd be damn impressed,and follow it til it parked,and crawl all over it.No,I don't love every damn detail of it....but it's the total effect that gets me..I've said it before on the HAMB,at least the guy who built it has balls,and skills,and the ability to make it happen.
    I fucking love traditional customs as much as anybody,but this car works just fine for me.Over the top? Sure..What's wrong with that?
    They don't all have to look like Barris,Valley,or Ayala built them.
    It's a custom...I like it..

2. Scorned Lover?

3. Your must be a POS to if you think its ok to treat dieing people like that ..

4. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Yes I have met the the guy and my statement stands. Dont get me wrong, larry is a great craftsman and has alot of great ideas, I just dont care for him.

5. Your grammar says it all.

6. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

ragtop49, you said it.

7. Wow some one who really knows who he is .. Yes Yes !!

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

OK then I take it back.

9. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

By the way temper_mental, that coupe of yours is pretty intense. I love it.

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

You're un-American for bashing us for using our right to freedom of speech.

11. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Larry is not a douche!!!!!!!!!! The guy has gone out of his way to help people. He's been nothing but awesome to me and the mag. Like or don't like his car, I don't care but don't piss on the man.

12. Couldn't agree more...Keep it about the cars.

13. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Maybe youre right.... I just had a bad experience with the man, thats all. Ive seen him piss on other people to make himself "look better".

14. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

I agree houston rodder. I apologize for bad mouthing larry.

15. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

You could maybe get your point across easier if you had any grammar skills at all. I mean, come on... This thread is getting ridiculous......

You Sir did not get it at all. That thread had 2 hotrods the rest were lowriders and a few customs and all those guys just raved over it. Now those same guys are on here saying well its not a traditional car well I dont think its HAMB friendly I wish i was in japan to ride with those guys. WHAT!!!!! It is all there read them yes white chin action. So now a American guy with a car he built and those same guys are bashing him. What I am saying is that it is so HYPOCRITICAL its just seems like UNAMERICAN to do. Salute the japanese and bash the American. Now that sir burns me. And thanks you sir for serving. Knuck from Indiana.[/QUOTE]

16. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It is ridiculous. Greta interview though. Just like the op's website. top notch.

17. VonKool13

VonKool13

This Cali guy can dig it!! it's nice to see a 40's Ford done differently than most. And I like the "most" versions too...

18. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Its alright but nothing to go crazy over.

19. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

just because you could doesn't mean you should...

it does seem to have that midwest, kkoa style to it. some of it is really cool, some is kinda ehh, this one is not so great. i saw a model a sedan he built, kind of the same radical, old skool rodz thing.

i'd be interested to see pictures of it in bare metal.

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

To All Who've Taken The Time To Post On This Thread...

1st: Thanks for getting involved in the H.A.M.B. Board to begin with ! That's why it was created...for pix, discussion, info, opinions, and, ideas.

2nd: My late, wonderful, Dad always told me: "Son, it's easier to be critical than it is to be correct." Which brings me to #3...

3rd: Since the beginning of Rods & Kustoms some cars have had a polarizing effect. Not necessarily because of the make, OR, the builder, but just because they WERE different.

4th: I was in Salina again this year, and watched Larry, Gene Winfield, and the Crew, work in the blazing hot Sun, 100 degree heat, and never complain for one minute until they finished the "yearly" top chop...this year on a Chev.

And, seeing the "Idol" in person, I was truly blown-away by the amount of work that was involved in each & every step of the way...including the beautiful interior, and the perfect blend of the '49 Plymouth taillights into the fender-flow.

4th: If you've only judged the car by the pix, and haven't heard Larry tell the story about how it all came together, then take the time to listen to it now. I think you may come away with a better understanding of both the car & Larry. http://d10514412.u46.c5.ixwebhosting.com/gpage147.html

5th: If, after you listen to the Interview, you have some further thoughts, please feel free to post 'em. But, remember that good old fashioned Courtesy goes a long way in real life, as it does here. Nastiness & meaness really aren't cool...anywhere.

6th: I've met many on this Board, exchanged PM's & eMails, and, talked to lots of you in person over the last few years, and I can tell you from personal experience that you are some of the GREATEST R&C Gearheads on the PLANET and I'm truly proud we're all a part of the H.A.M.B. !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

21. I took pics of this car at WOW, it's awesome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The car kinda looks like him... Wacky

23. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

not what I would have done, but then again he thinks outside the box, I dont. He is creative, I am not.

Super craftsmanship, I have seen it in person several times.

Im glad there are people out there building something different, it would suck if all the cars looked the same.

Awesome guy!

24. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Really? You find it nessisary to bring a private issue up when we are simply talking about his car? What are we...12?

Havin said that, I find the Voodoo Idol a good build. I think the car flows quite well. Yes, I have seen his other cars too. I could see where fitting it in a trailer would be a neat trick...but overall I like it. Not so much on the flame throwers...but it's his car. He did a great job with the quality of the body work for sure. There is no way I could do that much to a car without having it resemble a toaster oven.

25. Chris 50

Chris 50

After seeing many of his other builds, I was glad to see nice shiney paint. Also, after seeing many of his other builds, for Larry, this was restraint.

26. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Im sure Larry is a nice guy and uber talented, but I cant help but think of Dr Seuss every time I see this thing.

27. Rikster

Rikster

I like it, there are a few things I would have done different, but those are "easy fixes" if it where mine.

The car looks to me like something that could have been done back in the late 1940's... and perhaps "updated" in the mid 1950's to win some show points again.
    Creative!

28. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

My friend the Rikster has honed-in on my impression of the Voodoo Idol when I first saw it. It looks like something that could have been done years ago by Bailon, Cushenberry, DeRosa, or many others who were creative and didn't "follow the crowd".

For examples, check-out Barris' Grecian (below...courtesy of the Rikster), and one of Frank DeRosa's monster Merc's ! Who could tell the Grecian started out as a humble '47 Stude ? And, the Merc ? All of DeRosa's builds were different...but never "common" .

Again, if you missed Larry's own story of how & why the Idol came together, you owe it to yourself to hear him explain it in his own words:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage147.html

And, building cars that ARE different is what the word "customizing" is all about...you buy it, you build it, you drive it !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

29. Trencher

Trencher

ok, nothin personal about Larry, I saw the voodoo creeper years ago, and saw voodoo idol at detroit autorama a few years ago when Winfield and he were in the same area...the quality was definitely there. I don't care for the proprtions, but how many of the old customs hit the mark? must have been cheap to scrap cars and start over back then! there is a lot of hideous shit from back then. and I am a custom lover!

a couple questions I have is how the hell did he get it done in 13 months of nights and weekends? how many people helped that didn't get any credit? and what does it look like underneath? I really don't know how 1 guy can physically do it, along with working all day on customer cars, too...

30. rustyangels

rustyangels

Like in post #110 ... customs can be polarizing in beauty, and he's basically a one man shop, but the paint work is sent out, I like the ride, just haven't seen it in person yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.