Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Are Some Basic Guide Lines For Choosing Coil Overs...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, Dec 8, 2010.

1. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...for the front?...I came across a tri-five Chevy frame, (built in '69...never finished), with a custom front subframe, and front suspension that consists of a dropped tube axle and 4-bar, and is set up for coil-overs, which are missing...

...it isn't a nosebleed, frontend-in-the-air-type suspension set-up, but actually engineered to ride low...my last experience with coil overs was back in the late '70's with my Wayne Farr chassied Anglia...what do I need to take into consideration when picking spring rates and such?

It will be a street-driven car, with about a 20-25% engine set back...

2. orange40

orange40

Items needed to know would be laden front end weight of vehicle and angle the shocks are beings set up at. From that we can work out spring rate required.

3. brandon

brandon

figure the ride height , then mock it up at that height. assemble , then start taking a shot at the weight up front or scale it. depending on the length of the spring , maybe 400ish...?

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Come on, Randy! Parallel leaves and tube shocks! Make it so it drives and use it! Whatever you use, I want a ride.

5. brandon

brandon

come on.....parallels are like afactory option on tri fives....those coil over style drag fronts look so mean. :D especially when they are low:eek:

6. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Pete...I already have several cars with parallel leaf set-ups, and Brandon, I agree, this style looks really tuff on the front of the car, I dig it!

7. brandon

brandon

axle'd 55....:eek:

Attached Files:

8. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Right on!! That's one of my most favorite '55's of all! One of they very few good looking chopped Tri-Fives!

9. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

The spring rate needed will change as the mounted angle increases. With that set back and the coilovers straight up, maybe some 150# wound be a good place to start. Most large suppliers will offer a one time exchange for springs.

Ron

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Would straight up be the most optimum mounting?...I've heard up to an 8 degree angle...

11. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Brandon...do you remember if that '55 you posted was in Car Craft or Hot Rod?

12. brandon

brandon

it was a best of deal....pic is from march of 75 hot rod...hope that helps.

13. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

5-8 degrees would be good..NO more than 15 degrees. Spring rates are anybody's guess as nobody knows what the car weighs and what your percentages are front to rear. Good guess if its 45% nose 55% rear would be 400 in the front and 275 rears.. now thats just a guess. Shock valved at 7/5 on the front maybe 5/4 on the rear. Again all guess with out seeing all the geometry and weight percentages (roll centers ,CG). Make soild bars to build the car at ride height with eye to measurements of the shocks. Weigh it and than get some help.

14. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Great info...thanks!

15. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Call Aldan. They will know exactly what you need after asking you a few questions. aldaneagle.com
    I have used them and they work great and stand behind what they sell.