Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Bel air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobramerc, Dec 7, 2010.

1. cobramerc

cobramerc

Hey Guys I wanted to show my on going project,I bought this car last January and started the surgery on it, I still have a long ways to go but it's starting to take shape. Dave [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Started the stripping [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. blackchevy

blackchevy
    from hope,ar

you got a start on it. keep us posted.

3. cobramerc

cobramerc

I finally got the whole body down to bare metal to see all the areas that need work. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. slammed

slammed

Love the HT! What is the look of the car to be? Cruiser, gasser, low ride?

5. cobramerc

cobramerc

I found a few things that were covered up by filler that really needs some attention. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. RockyJr

RockyJr
    from Wichita KS

love the 56's...had a wagon a few years ago that i wish i'd kept. body looks real solid from here...outer rockers seem to be the worst of it...how are the floors?

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thats a damn solid car, what are your plans for it?

8. lawman

lawman

Very nice start. Let's see more. Tom (Tired Old man)

9. cobramerc

cobramerc

My colors are going to be black and gunmetal i will be lowering it maybe bags still up in the air about that,mostly stock on the outside but I'm going to pop the exhaust out before the rear wheels.I will call it a mix between low rider and cruiser.

10. cobramerc

cobramerc

Actually the floors were pretty good only had to replace the front driver and passenger and two other small patches towards the back.The car has been in storage for about ten years i believed that helped.

11. cobramerc

cobramerc

Looks are desiving but overall not bad.

12. Those bad spots are pretty typical for the 56.Overall, it looks like you have a real solid car there.Usually the floors and trunk are all but gone.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great car, great start, and great ideas !!
    Can't beat a triple header like that.
    Keep the pics coming !!

14. cobramerc

cobramerc

These next pics are the start of getting her solid,the rockers were shot both inner and outer also tail pan wasnt to good and the door bottoms were also not good,also had to do some floor work too. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. cobramerc

cobramerc

16. Soreback

Soreback

Love the 56's. Got ass ended in one just like it while parked in front of my girl friends parents house in 1970. Flew through the yard in a ball of flames. Pretty spectacular lookin' back. Brings back memories. You got a real nice start there.

17. cobramerc

cobramerc

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The passenger quarter wasn't to good so i took the cut off wheel to it and hope for the best. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. cobramerc

cobramerc

The tail pan wasn't to good of shape so it was time to fix it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Harris

Harris

Damn fine work.

20. cobramerc

cobramerc

21. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Looking Good! Keep up the good work!

22. cobramerc

cobramerc

The next couple pics are the mini tubbing i did, going to put some meats under the rear. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. 57283

Nice surgery work! Good job with the pics too, its coming along really nice:D

24. cobramerc

cobramerc

Here's the drivers side i also had to cut the rear seat bottom and back and plus the seat supports to conform withe wheel wells now. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. carlboyd

carlboyd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In really good shape for its age. Looks like you 're doing a nice job on the metal repairs too. good luck.

26. cobramerc

cobramerc

[​IMG] [​IMG] That's it for now guys my next step is get the body off the chassis and work on the under body supports,will post pics in a couple weeks. Dave

27. bryan6902

bryan6902

Nice work! Looks like you started with a fairly solid car, but I bet you feel A TON better after stripping it all down and fixing the soft spots.

Tell me now that you're pitching the Camaro wheels?!?!?

You should have done a Tech-Week how-to on that mini-tub, that looks real nice!

28. cobramerc

cobramerc

It always feels good when you get one step closer to your goal,the wheels are crap I'm going to put some nice chromies on, the problem is there too many options out there.Thanks for the kind words, Dave