Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New FED project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Will finish machining the hub caps today and buy the caps. i was hoping my motor would be out so i could go and get it but it has been probably too wet. I will also see what I can do about making a shim for the collet for the cutter.

Attached Files:

2. Using a boring bar holder I designed and poured friday I bored the holes in the hubcap castings to accept (press fit) a chrome oil cap. Makes room for bearing and spindle nut but will keep all clean and safe.
    Don

Attached Files:

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Pretty crafty Don!

4. Got a phone call tonite after supper. My 318 Poly is out and ready for pick up. What have I done??!
    Don

5. Vern Christy

Vern Christy
    from Picton Ont

Sounds like we are on a mission on Tue!!!

Attached Files:

6. the three kings

the three kings
    from Texas

7. Brit digger

Brit digger

Yea Don where did all go wrong....;)

seriously, good luck with whatever you do...

Sid..

Attached Files:

8. The Jag is not leaving. I am thinking it needs to be in an Austin Bantam with a 60s saloon grill shell.
    Vern. He said to come about 1.30 to get it. I will leave here about 100. Are ya up for it?
    Don

9. brit any pic's of your car?

10. The shop I got the 318 wanted the exhaust manifolds so I helped remove the frozen bolts. That is my big fat hand on the side. Then he asked sheepishly did I really want the trans. "Well Yeah!" I said as it was in the deal.
    We finally got it loaded and here we are driving away from the wreckers shop. Sorry about the old company logo. It is still on the tinted rear window. Here it is sitting in the back of the ol V10. It is cold here and will be till saturday. I stuffed an old towel in all the holes to protect it. We will whip it apart Saturday as the weather is suppposed to be much warmer. It doesnt roll over but that is no big deal. He said if it was cracked or anything he would look after me with another and he will. I have been dealing there since I was 17. Vern got some better pics and should have them up shortly. Anyway we are now underway.
    Don

Attached Files:

11. Vern Christy

Vern Christy
    from Picton Ont

Here Ya Go! Pics of today's adventure. Polly has landed. Don forgot to mention, that Motor has Rebuild tag on side of block. .30 over, Rods & mains .10 under.
    Maybe it still has some warranty.

Attached Files:

12. Is that a push button torque flite?

13. Nope but this one is.
    Poly engine and trans was from a Canadian mid 67 car just before the poly disappeared from production. It doesnt bother me though as it is no different than a 62 or 64 engine for instance. Trans was just thrown in in the deal. Suited me fine. Usually about $200 parts and a little bit of hard work will fix any 904 or 737. Some of the earlier cases still have the boss cast in them where the cable from the pushbutton went in. I often though of taking the aluminum welding stuff and adding it to a stasndard case then drilling it with a steel fixture mounted on the oil pan bolts to guide the drill perfectly. It really would be pretty easy to do. Valve bodies are basically the same for 904 and 727. Only bugaboo is the pushbutton trans also all had rear pumps but that is not a big issue. Also there are two holes in the push button valve bodies under the filter. One for front pump and one for rear. I would not want to need a push button case for very long. I doubt it would take a day to do a proper conversion to a non push button case. The pushbutton cases are harder to find everyday. On the white car I was about to do the above when some old racers friends donated an 64 BB block case.
    Don

Attached Files:

14. I always liked the pushbutton TF's because they could be push started.

15. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Good build Don. Will be following your progress.

16. Brit digger

Brit digger

lots but shouldnt post them on this thread?

where can i post them?... "drag cars in motion".....

Sid.

17. start a new thread or add to dragster club

18. Naw stick it here. I am as interested as you are.
    Don

19. Brit digger

Brit digger

ok ill do both. a few for now but look out for a new thread.... :D

Sid.

Attached Files:

20. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I like`m ....Sid, those are sick cars

21. Brit digger

Brit digger

Sorry should have said, they are the same car but with different bodies..headers/wheels.
    so your right but wrong...:confused:

thanks for your kind words.

Sid.

22. nice going, what are the specs?

23. I like especially the blue one. BOOTSIE
    Don

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  24. Well the Eagle has landed !
    Ok so it is only a parrot (318 "Poly").
    I shoved the Sr dragster outside as we had a break in the weather. It is about 40F right now. Moved some stuff at round in the shop and backed the truck part way in. i began taking the engine apart as I cant wrestle it by myself. Usualy Saturdays there are folks around but not today so i am on my own. While the engine is struck it appears just that and no sign of severely siezing. It is as Vern said a 030 over rebuild and cant have much miles on it as there is no sign of wear. I pulled the intake and heads and gave it some of my favourite potient to see if it comes free over the weekend. Interesting to note . you see a 5.7 Hemi piston and rod siting on the block. They are the same original bore size. 3.91" Interesting.
    Anyway Any progress is progress. I will cover it up for now, put the sr dragster back inside before I am charged with Senior abuse and take the rest of the day off. We have started at it though.
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  25. If I could live to be a hundred I might try this. I have watched Rocky as he works on his twin dragster build. I must say my hat is off to him as he is a doer and gets right to it. I shall leave him to it but i cant help but dream.
    Two slant sixes , an engine just begging for twinning. A common intake. One engine forward one back. Elimintes the reverse deal purely just because it is so.

Attached Files:

26. Would it stand a .130 overbore?
    Looks like 340 pistons would be an easy swap.

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm diggin' the Poly Engine and can't wait to see it roll out of the shop soon. Rocky

28. They will stand 4 inch bore but I am doing this one on the cheap first till i get it up and running. Stock stroke a decent cam some compression and porting and a four barrel.
    I must say too Rocky I am anxious to see how it comes out. I always liked these engines as they are what i started out with back in 1965/66. I still remember some of the little in and outs of them.
    Don

29. Must be something I ate but I keep wondeering if i could run this combo with no trans per say but a 5500 converter with a pump and output shaft. Probably a dumb idea but anyway has anyone tried it? Say i ran a PG trans which is akin to runnning my torqueflite in second and high only. either way i wuld have 1.76 ratio on launch. A good converter hould be able to cover that easy I think. That is the way a lot of the old school rails were anyway with a standard trans running second and high. A torque converter gives a huge launch anyway even over a flywheel so it should be possible . No reverse is a bit of a buggaboo but I dont normally burn through anyway. Anyone tried it or know someone who has?
    Don

30. Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing day Don! I've been at my sisters and out of the loop so I just thought I'd check in. Hope the Poly is doing good, can't wait to see some progress on this car. Between you and Rocky there should be some interesting stuff this summer.