Register now to get rid of these ads!

Setting Glass w/Setting tape....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Did the search thing and came up shy on that,so here's a general question-When setting glass in the tape, what would be a good lubricant to use to slide the glass in? memmory is failing me at this point,but I seem to remember WD-40,or dish soap,or maybe silicone spray.I'm sure a smart ass will chime in somehow.....These are for rear 1/4 windows for my merc,and will slide in. Thanks guys.

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I use a spray window cleaner,it will let you set glass and dry out to adhere to glass

3. Local glass guy uses spray foaming window cleaner.

4. Newcastlegut

Newcastlegut
    from Benicia,CA

Spray foaming glass cleaner is generally "Sprayway" brand. Here in norcal it can be purchased at Safeway or your local glass shop.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

yep another on the foamy window cleaner..

6. This is it!

7. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

yeah, again.........

8. rustyangels

rustyangels

Yep, foamy window cleaner and sometimes the assistance of two pony clamps

9. So when doing a wing window, do you cut the 'tape' and make two pieces? Or so you take one piece and squish it in, like where the two parts intersect? Cut to fit? My wing windows are like a V.

Then you spray foaming bubbles, place the glass in the middle and push it in and use a mallet as needed?

10. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

pics would help,but 1/4 glass is kinda vague.
    rear 1/4 glass as in what goes in the doors?
    is this to set in the regulator track?
    or to set in a channel and place chrome back over top?
    butyl tape needs to be clean and pressed in without a mallet,if its glass held in place with chrome.

11. Generally what I would do is "square" the "tape" in the track,so the same amount sticks up on both frame sides. I use a yardstick,metal,anything thats reasonably close to the thickness of the glass. Now that i'm dirrected on the "lubricant",I'll set the glass in,and make sure it's seated all the way of flush. If too much of the tape is showing above the track,i'll run a blade across and make things flat.One piece,not two. Lay it in there and"simulate" the glass laying there. You'de want both side's sticking up the same. If one side sticks up more than the other=blade time.

12. All the way around Mike? Do I pie-cut the part where both sides connect?

[​IMG]

13. Foaming window cleaner? No kidding? I have never done this but I will need to do it soon. It seems to me that I remember something about having to soak the setting tape in motor oil before you install. Is that an old way to do it or am I remembering wrong? Foaming window cleaner sounds less messy.

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you do not cut anything john, lightly start the setting tape in the vent frame and then spray it with the glass cleaner, set the glass in, and pound it in. i usually have to use a rubber mallet to get them on..

15. squirrel

squirrel

That's the traditional way, and has no place here on the hamb

16. I can see where the foaming spray is popular because it will evaporate and not linger like oil.

Thanks all. As you can see my approach is just like Matt's, except I take 20 times as long to do the same thing. :)

17. LMAO!! Thanks Squirrel!

18. Cantstop

Cantstop

if you pull the allseal tape taught ove the glass like it will be in the channel you will see that when it streches over the point it kind of lays down. You shouldnt need to trim anything untill after your glass is fully seated .also I second using the pony clamps.

19. you do know that you hit the frame with a hammer? depends on what setting tape you use,

a cork type tape is good dry

composition tape, oil will not only cut friction but causes the tape to swell making it tighter. only oil the frame side. the glass side should be dry.

one more thing that you should know is the tape come in different thickness in 1/64 increments
    1/32, 3/64, 1/16, 5/64, 3/32
    I like to take a short piece and pound the frame on. if I can easily pull it off . use thicker tape. if it cuts the tape, I go thinner.
    on bottom channels I double pack both ends ( tape the whole channel and a short piece of thinner tape on both ends)

I hope this totallly confuses you to the point where you will expierment a little before giving up. I've been doing glass 47 years and still have a lot to learn. when you quit learning it's time to die............Jim

20. there is no right or wrong way!
    but on vent frames with tight corners I like to make a series of relief cuts about 1/8 apart and half inch deep on both sides in the tight area. seems to go together easier and cleaner. and I love my dead blow hammer almost as much as my antique leather mallet............Jim

21. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

As said above. I did my side glass about 4 months ago. The place that cut the glass did the first to show me. They used the foaming windex, the composition tape. Make sure you get the correct thickness. He tested is with a 1" strip sideways just to get a feel for the resistance. I didn't have to "V" cut the corners. I used one piece (~1 1/4" wide) wrapped around the edge

22. Pie-cut, that's what I meant I couldn't think of the term!

23. Black Primer

Black Primer

I use the same thing my glass guy uses, motor oil.